Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More scale fittings  (Read 1676 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
More scale fittings
« on: November 15, 2013, 04:04:40 pm »

As my build progresses and thinking what can be used for scale sized hooks to strop to blocks etc. Of course they have to be strong enough to endure the rigours of sailing so bending them up out of brass/steel wire is a no go. I was in a local MercaChina (chinese pound shop!) out here in Spain when I came across them--

Fishing hooks! they come in various sizes, dunno how they size em, it seems the higher the number the smaller the hook, right down to some very tiny ones that fitted my bill. They come with an eye to tie through all you need to do is file down the barb and point and one very strong scale hook!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: More scale fittings
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 09:52:38 am »

If you really want to use hooks, I think you will be pushed to find anything strong enough not to bend out, unless cut from solid stock. Also, if it is a working scale model, the chances of the attachments coming off of the hook are probably high. Although I stand to be corrected.

An alternative is to think about would be using eyes. I have used brassed (1/4-3/8") cotter pins as eyes and they are strong enough to take the rigors of sailing rigging for my boat which has an approx 1m hull. I have only used them on masts and booms, but they could be used for blocks, but you would need to try.
The method of fixing I used was to drill a1mm or 1.5mm hole through the wooden component. Then push in the cotter pin, all the way home, secured with epoxy glue. The protruding end of the cotter pin was cut flush afterwards. As the brass oxidises, the end of the pin blends into the wood.

A brass cotter pin might be strong enough to modify as a hook, but if you work it with heat, you may need to temper it again, as it will bend too easily if softened.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Flundle (Speedline Models)

• Full Mayhemer
Re: More scale fittings
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 08:05:36 pm »

The fish hooks are a good idea. they are very strong to. I'm going to try them on my barge.
Amazing source of goodies is the tackle shop.
Some woven fishing lines are fantastic miniature ropes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.