Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: QE2  (Read 17349 times)

Sea Commander

Re: qe2 sold
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2008, 09:48:02 pm »

Hello,

I have caused some debate,

Clearly, the great or golden days of fast ocean travel are over. The modern ships are just not the same, a couple of points to mention. I also had heard 36 knots whilst going to the Faulkands, but it does seam a bit hopeful, that is well fast. What would you do if 70 000 tons was hertling towards you at 40 MPH? Whilst I'm know scientist , I have also seen the energy / power theory and acknowledge that the extra power will not make that much difference on top speed, at that time she was on turbines. 

I also accept the point that the sea water will have a corrosive effect on the hull, plates, and frames. When I sailed home there was a noticable vibration on the shafts, and that was 12 years ago!!

I think it's time to say good buy, good luck & like the -  QUEEN MARY - MAKE A NOTE TO VISIT SOME DAY -   

Thanks

Seacommander <:(

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2008, 01:38:09 am »

What would you do if 70 000 tons was hurtling towards you at 40 MPH?

I'd get out of the way...... QUICKLY.  {-) {-)

Peter.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2008, 07:48:49 pm »

I was in Bosham, Sussex today where there is a photographic studio selling images of local scenes. One which particularly appealed to me was a photo of the three Cunard Queens together http://web.mac.com/costen1/Site_2/Pictures_to_buy.html

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2008, 10:56:40 pm »

It is a lovely photo, Colin, but I still prefer QE2's appearance, she looks like a real liner. Having said that, I would love to have the opportunity to sail on QM2, people I have spoken to, who have been on her, say she is magnificent. One Australian couple we spoke to while we were on QE2, said the only problem with QM2, as far as they were concerned, was that she didn't move. When I commented that I thought that would be a good thing, they said they like to feel the movement of a ship, and I have to say I agree.

Peter.

barryfoote

QE 2 in a little incident
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2008, 07:59:46 am »

Oh dear.

How many times has she been into Southampton???

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/hampshire/7720966.stm

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
Re: QE 2 in a little incident
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2008, 10:52:51 am »

She doesnt wont to go <:( . As she know her new owners have no taste whats so ever  >>:-( <*< <*< <*< <*< <*< :police: >:-o >:-o >:-o. That what you get with these new money types , who would by the mona lisa and draw a pair of sun glasses on her mm . SO DONT CUT HER FUNNEL OFF.

john

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2008, 11:02:26 am »

She doesn't want to go to Dubai and have her funnel cut off and her engines taken out. Can you blame her?  Mind you, everyone who is anyone runs ashore on the Brambles at least once. The other two Queens managed it. They even play cricket on the bank once a year at low water springs.

Pity she's leaving after dark or I would have gone down to see her off. Timing seems to be dictated by the tides though. Said my goodbye last year, see below.

Colin

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2008, 11:13:40 am »

Its not only the funnel thats being removed, they are also ripping out all the cabins etc.  >>:-(
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

MCAT

• Full Mayhemer
QE2 LEAVES OUR SHORES
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2008, 01:56:18 pm »

A Link to the QE2 leaving  will start at 6.30 tonight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: QE2 LEAVES OUR SHORES
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2008, 08:16:39 pm »

Just watching online.

Very emotional occasion. I am reminded of Masefield's words, originally written to commemorate the clipper ships:

These splendid ships, each with her grace, her glory,

They mark our passage as a race of men— 
Earth will not see such ships as those again.

Colin

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2008, 08:22:42 pm »

I've just watched online too....

can't understand why the last part was not broadcast on BBC TV, after all they have four channels of rubbish on, you think they could have spared one..

furball

« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2008, 08:47:58 pm »

They got it off the putty this morning then?  %)

Lance

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2008, 08:51:01 pm »

Rising tide and 4 tugs!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2008, 11:15:32 pm »

Very sad indeed. My association with the QE2 came about in its final year of service, on the return leg of its last world cruise, from Sydney to Southampton. Speaking to many crew members, from various departments of the ship, it very quickly became obvious how deeply attached they all were to the gracious old liner. From the housekeepers to the officers, up to and including the captain, all were extremely proud of the ship, and very conscious of her place in maritime history.

Peter.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2008, 11:37:19 pm »

sad time . just got back from seeing her of. There were thousands of people there. got some photos not very good will try and put them up tomrow.

john

MCAT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2008, 09:03:46 am »

For any one who still wants to see this historic event   use the site above and click on local news  Hampshire

after posting this I still missed it

victorian

« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2008, 12:13:06 am »

Here's the view from Mayflower park last night. Southampton council laid on a very well organised even for the locals with catering, funfair and giant TV screen relaying the continuous live coverage from the local TV channel.

Not all the camera shake is down to hypothermia - it was a very emotional event with 10's of thousands of people cramming the seafront to get a last glimpse of the ship that had become such a permanent part of their live. Apologies for publishing what is quite the worse picture ever to appear on Mayhem, but it's all I've got!

They brought the ship back upriver to stop alongside the park, towering over us and yet still maybe 1/4 mile away. She is truly a huge ship and all the more vast with her thousands of brilliant lights in the pitch black (and completely freezing) night.  I was able to talk to my flying partner John who has been a QE2 regular and was on the invitation list for this final voyage, but with no chance of seeing him on the rail or him seeing me in the vast crown. It did sound as if they were having a good time on board, however.

There was a tremendous firework display, during which the ship nearly dissapeared in smoke. There was tremendous sounding of her sirens, an address from the Captain, playing of 'Hearts of Oak', etc and then she moved off down river, very slowly at first, to the strains of 'Sailing'.

So here's the last view that I, and most others, will ever have of her as the heads out to Lisbon and her new home. Bon voyage, beautiful lady.

barryfoote

« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2008, 08:02:58 am »

Emotional, impressive, moving and sad......but WHY?

Sold abroad.....WHY?

Scrapped.....WHY?

She is a symbol of Britain and should be kept in Britain after retirement...... <*< <*< <*<

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2008, 07:55:26 pm »

Emotional, impressive, moving and sad......but WHY?

Sold abroad.....WHY?

Scrapped.....WHY?

She is a symbol of Britain and should be kept in Britain after retirement...... <*< <*< <*<
Sorry for this, but we (in the UK) have a less than impressive record when it comes to "preserving" national icons. Apart from "Warrior", "Cutty Sark", "Great Britain", "Belfast" and a couple of others (Not "Victory" as she is still a commissioned ship) we haven't a lot to shout about. I think the MoD(N) may have done their best, and a fair few local councils have tried and failed to interest the general public (Cavalier may be OK for now). But who would be willing to pay the upkeep on something as big as QE2?
Where would you put it? I think that it has probably got the best home possible and will not suffer the degeneration being suffered by "Queen Mary". Ships are machines. People get attached to them on an emotional level, but once they have outlived their MOT Cert then they have to go. Having said all that, I would like to see another "proper" liner built if only to show that modern ships don't have to look like a block of flats. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2008, 10:42:11 pm »

Bryan you make some fair points.
were to keep her well there are 3 sites in the UK that spring to mind . As for the pay of her up keep . well she is in good nick , so she could be come a museum or hotel . There charitable trust status bit like the Britannia set up. I don't know on this but from what is emerging Cunard did the deal with Dubai and that was that. there was no biding process or other made aware of the sale. remember when Cunard was owned before carnival a groupe of Southampton business men from a consortium and made Cunard an offer . Cunard said they want to hold on to Qe2 for a while and were not ready to sell her.
you say about the degeneration of Queen Mary i don't know what you mean
As for new liners whats wrong with QM2 she a one off like QE2 was.

johe

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2008, 11:49:22 pm »

They could have at least touched up the paint on the bow before her final voyage.  I was distressed to see the first frames of this video from Rueters:

http://www.reuters.com/news/video?videoId=93698&videoChannel=1

Chuck
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

amdaylight

« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2008, 11:56:00 pm »

I think is referring to the sad sate of affairs that the Queen Mary in Long Beach is in, she never has really made money as a hotel, she has not made it as a tourist attraction either. When hotel people buy a ship like either of Queens to turn them into floating hotels they have no experience in ships and the maintenance that they require. Unlike a regular hotel there is always hull, deck and many other things that require constant upkeep and maintenance if from nothing else the salt air. These things have acres of metal that need to be striped and re painted.

Andre  :-)

over yonder in Portland Oregon

pt109

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2008, 12:32:05 am »

They could have at least touched up the paint on the bow before her final voyage.  I was distressed to see the first frames of this video from

Chuck

I spoke to passengers in Liverpool a few months ago who arrived on the Qe2, and one said he'd travelled on her 15 times, and had never seen her in such a state, it was as if they were not going to spend anything on her prior to sailing to Dubai, which was a fair comment, but the cruises were not cheap, and at least they could have replaced batteries in the remote controls in the cabins, which was only a few pence

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2008, 06:13:53 am »

Great photos, Colin.  :-))
Below is a series of shots I took as we were going ashore in Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii. It was a glorious day and the water was a fabulous blue. I took many photos of the ship during our cruise, but these are my favourites.

Peter

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2008, 08:48:36 am »

Carnival/Cunard have no sentimental attachment to the ship. They have simply milked the publicity for the "Cunard" image. They just want more paying punters on their other ships, although if the knockdown prices being offered on Queen Victoria cruises are any indication, they may be having some trouble. And there is the new Queen Elizabeth currently building which will need to be filled too.

On balance it would probably have been better to have scrapped her like P&O insisted with the Canberra.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.