Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paddle Tug Eccleshall  (Read 2808 times)

GG

• Full Mayhemer
Paddle Tug Eccleshall
« on: November 19, 2013, 02:24:23 pm »

This model started out being based on the tug Eppleton Hall, now in San Francisco.  However, numerous design changes resulted in it becoming a freelance model of a steam tug from the early 20th Century.
Construction is, no surprise here, mainly balsa with some card and plywood.  The paddlewheels were made from plastic sheet and seem to cope with the rubbish floating on local sailing waters. The scale is about 1/36 which gave a model length of around 27 inches (70 cm) and weight of just over 7 pounds (3 kg)
Despite having one motor (MFA 50:1 geared 540) driving both wheels, a little cunning with the rudder produces very good steering.
It might not be a fast model but it is relaxing to sail, the sort that encourages you to have the transmitter in one hand leaving the other free for a spot of liquid refreshment!
Glynn Guest

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Paddle Tug Eccleshall
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 05:32:16 pm »

Glynn,
Very impressive, will you be offering this one as plans in one of the model boat magazines?

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 05:45:57 pm »

This brings back memories. I was south bound across Biscay for Lagos on Elder Dempsters "Aureol" when we came across "Eppleton Hall" wallowing in an oily swell out of fuel. They rowed across to us and two hippes came aboard. They didn't half hum! We had no suitable fuel for them but Sparks got in touch with a German trawler who could help. We stood by her until she arrived and then con tinued on passage. They had hoped to get to Las Palmas but used more fuel than expected. Many years later I was leaning on the rail enjoying a G&T with my new wife when low and behold she steamed past us. A quick word with a docker and we found out she was in the maritime museum. We payed a visit next day and looked over her. We looked in the logbook of the passage across the Atlantic and found we were mentioned. The curator said we could visit free for life. He didn't give us our entrance fee for that day though!  I've got a photo taken by the ships photographer somewhere. It shows her with the sails up trying to stop her rolling when out of fuel.
Jerry.

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 07:17:30 pm »

Tony52,
          Yes, plans just about ready to go off to Model Boats, hope they will be printed on both sides?

Jerry C,
           I knew about running out off fuel when they had barely started the jouney to San Francisco.  Did you know that they rescued a fishing boat whilst passing San Diego?

Glynn Guest

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 08:21:34 pm »

Thanks Glynn, pleased to hear of this. Better keep my subscription up to date.

Further to Glynn & Jerry's mention of the Eppleton Hall, anyone wishing further information, a 1/48 scale model build was featured in Model Shipwright commencing at magazine No 45 (September 1983). In my magazine collection, I only have the first part which covers the full sized vessel and I am unsure how many magazines the model was built over. The text (in magazine No 45) describes this model as a fine detail cased model.

Tony

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 08:26:39 pm »

I didn't know about the rescue but one good turn deserves another. Funny though that I should end up taking harbour tugs across the oceans.
Jerry.

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 07:09:49 pm »

Postie just delivered this months Model Boats magazine and in the page advertising the next issue is Glynn's paddle tug Eccleshall. It is Model Boats magazine intention to issue a free plan of this paddler in the June 2014 issue (on sale 9th May).

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.