Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Boats Magazine plans for the R.A.F.A. Aquarius.  (Read 8279 times)

Flundle (Speedline Models)

• Full Mayhemer
Model Boats Magazine plans for the R.A.F.A. Aquarius.
« on: November 19, 2013, 08:37:31 pm »

I was looking forward to these plans, thought I might have a swift go at it.
The plans in my mag were only one sheet though (sheet 1 of 2). Did i have a faulty magazine or were they missed out?

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Model Boats Magazine plans for the R.A.F.A. Aquarius.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 08:43:31 pm »

Here is a post by Model Boats magazine Editor, Paul Freshney, on the Model Boats website

Peter.

To all UK subscribers
Every care is taken to provide a full and comprehensive edition every month for your enjoyment and on the rare occasion where you may experience problems, we will always try and find a solution as quickly as possible. In this instance, the missing sheet of the RAFA Aquarius Free plan is entirely the fault of the printers and was beyond our control. Fortunately, as regard export and newstrade copies, these issues have been withdrawn from the distribution system today to have the complete two sheet plan added to them and they will then be re-dispatched as usual.
In the case only of UK subscriber copies which were posted-out at the end of last week, any UK subscriber who wants the missing plan sheet should contact Audrey at:mytimemedia@subscription.co.uk or telephone 0844 543 8200, clearly mentioning MB Dec 2013 and the missing plan sheet, giving their name and full address and it will be posted out free of charge asap.
I understand and regret the inconvenience this may cause, but the error was not of our doing. The solution is the most practical in the circumstances for UK subscribers, with the printers bearing all the associated costs. A note about this will also appear in the January issue which follows quite shortly in early December.
Thank you for your understanding.
Paul Freshney

Editor
Monday 18th November

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 08:48:08 pm »

Thanks for that.
I was going to ask the same question!

If any one is interested in the Aquarius I suggest trying to contact the Small Craft Group, they have a book about RAF Auxiliaries and other vessels used by the RAF other than fast launches.

After seeing a copy several years ago I was going to build a model using some similar drawings from Nexus but gave up because it didn't really match!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Flundle (Speedline Models)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 09:03:47 pm »

Many thanks for the rapid reply.
Have emailed as suggested.
Really look forward to this, It's going to be 1/48th.
Here's a thought.
Can plans be supplied as electronic files?
Any common format.
I would be very happy with that and it will save the postage too (and save me scanning them in)!
When you have a laser cutter, you just can't stop playing with it.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 09:21:30 pm »

Plans from the Model Boats Plans Service are currently only available in the traditional physical sheet format.

Relatively few modellers at the moment are comfortable with digital downloads.

Colin

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 11:19:36 pm »

Relatively few modellers at the moment are comfortable with digital downloads.

No Colin, MTM or MHS or whoever are uncomfortable with digital downloads, it makes it easier for at least one on the magic auction site to flog plans off.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 08:42:24 am »

Ian,

Obviously there are risks associated with digital downloads but here are other factors at play too.

A recent survey showed that the average age of people buying model boats is 65. (I'd have felt it was a bit older than that looking at show attendances!). Whilst many of these are 'silver surfers' they tend not to get too involved with the more complex aspects of operating a PC. Only a small minority of magazine readers are active on model boating websites, even on Mayhem I think you will find that there only a hundred or so regular posters and many of those don't post on model boating matters anyway.

The existing Model Boats Plans Range is extensive but the majority of plans will only sell a handful a year and the cost of digitising them all just in case somebody wants one would be prohibitive.

Very few people actually produce new model making plans these days, perhaps two or three regulars for Model Boats and the occasional new contributor. The regulars have been doing it for years and use traditional drawing methods. They are not spring chickens and are unlikely to want to get into digital as the output volume would not justify the investment in CAD facilities and time.

When you look at the plans generally available for model boaters, the vast majority have been around for years, generally from the 1950s onwards.

The reality at the moment is that there is no effective commercial incentive for the publishers to invest in digital plans although digitising the magazines is another matter entirely.

Colin

malcolm.howard2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 11:22:06 am »

Hi Colin   how about simply putting the missing sheet in loose in the DEC edition of the mag it will save phone calls and additional postal cost for subscription members

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 12:38:00 pm »

I would imagine the postal charges will be borne by the publishers as it was their error. Not the subscriber or MTM

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 01:32:07 pm »

The existing Model Boats Plans Range is extensive but the majority of plans will only sell a handful a year and the cost of digitising them all just in case somebody wants one would be prohibitive.

Had this discussion many years ago in the "Micro Film" era when having all the drawings photographed (M/F) as a fire precaution. Sadly, the attitude displayed has seen many drawings being lost or too damaged to obtain good copies from and these are the vaults of the successors to APS and MAP. I remember there being an "X" list of plans back in 1955, these would probably be "XXX" now. In a discussion a while ago, a colleague related the story of someone approaching the powers that be (at the time) and offering to "Digitise" something like 1000 drawings for free but was turned down, not hard to believe as more recently, a similar offer was put to one of the "Arms" of the present modelling press and that too refused. It has happened and what an utter mess the so called professionals made of it and that's turned into an annual rip off.

How many of the present plans have "No image available" so you're having to buy "Blind" and woe betide if it's the wrong one as "All plans are printed specially and refunds are not available"

Tain't missile tech to scan, clean up and print a photo from one of the images in the "Old" plans handbooks.

Sorry Colin, I was brought up in the Dyeline, Linen, Pounce, Uno, Wooden pencil era but was converted 30 years later to electronic drawings and that was nearly 30 years ago. Fortunately there are other fori that take the save for posterity attitude and not the book repository attitude taken by the Eloi in "The Time Machine"

Regards  Ian.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 01:41:16 pm »

Sorry, misquote it was something like 10,000 drawings for free.

Regards  Ian.

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 06:26:29 pm »

Quote " A recent survey showed that the average age of people buying model boats is 65. "

Scary thought in 30 years RC Model Boating will be extinct !!!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 08:03:56 pm »

Sorry Colin, I was brought up in the Dyeline, Linen, Pounce, Uno, Wooden pencil era but was converted 30 years later to electronic drawings and that was nearly 30 years ago. Fortunately there are other fori that take the save for posterity attitude and not the book repository attitude taken by the Eloi in "The Time Machine"

Ian, in the good old days the people at the publishers were modellers with an understanding of the value of the material. After umpteen changes of ownership and a continual turnover of staff that connection no longer exists. The Editors are the only people with an in depth knowledge of modelling and they have nothing to do with the Plans Service. Sad but true I'm afraid. The Plans Service is seen as a source of income but not as the historical design archive that many of us would like it to be. No, it's not missile tech to clean up and digitise a plan but it does take time and someone has to be paid and that money isn't forthcoming.

Longshanks - I fear you are right, enjoy it while you can!

Colin

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 08:08:14 pm »

Quote " A recent survey showed that the average age of people buying model boats is 65. "

Scary thought in 30 years RC Model Boating will be extinct !!!

No it won't, not if I can help it!  :-))

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 08:21:03 pm »

One thing I really like about paper plans is the way you often find one you like when browsing through old mags ... even more likely to be found in a friends old mags.

Dave

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 08:35:18 pm »

No it won't, not if I can help it!  :-))

Same here, I intend to carry on into my 90s, that's a good 50-60 years away! :-))
Nick B

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 09:34:14 pm »

hi there, just sitting thinking here....in the not too distant future when raflaunches is taking his great grandchildren around the big museum he will come across an exhibit showing the prehistoric modeller in a glass case, holding a set of paper plans and next to him will be a work bench with a half completed model on with some old hand tools (modern to us in this day :-) ) and the caption next to the exhibit will read 'In days gone by, man could think for himself and understand paper drawings and use those things on the ends of his wrists to create things'.  We are all a dying breed and I dont think the majority of the modern generation have it in them, cos its not ready made :-) .
aye
John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 02:50:22 am »

Fortunately, as regard export and newstrade copies, these issues have been withdrawn from the distribution system today to have the complete two sheet plan added to them and they will then be re-dispatched as usual.

Well mine arrived today and had one page only. So they got that wrong.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 08:44:57 am »

Well mine arrived today and had one page only. So they got that wrong.

Paul Freshney has posted the following on the Model Boats site in response to another overseas subscriber:

Perhaps it should have said 'UK based subscribers' as distinct from North America.

Assuming your subscription is via mytimemedia@subscription.co.uk, then just email them as per that posting please with your details, if you want the second sheet.

Colin

Editor

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 07:54:57 pm »

Paul Freshney has posted the following on the Model Boats site in response to another overseas subscriber:

Perhaps it should have said 'UK based subscribers' as distinct from North America.

Assuming your subscription is via mytimemedia@subscription.co.uk, then just email them as per that posting please with your details, if you want the second sheet.

Colin

Editor

Bad choice words, if you want? >>:-( >>:-( why not say to get etc, also why not just automatically send it out to all subscribers as it is not a complete magazine.
Bad disaster, but it is how the disaster  is handled which will tell.
So far looks like they are trying to minimise cost in rectifying the mistake, no one really cares who stuffed up, it is MB who will lose as a result, so it is their interest to get on top of the problem. O0 O0
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 08:14:04 pm »

I think that's a bit unfair really.

The error was the printers, they have accepted it and will pay the cost of remedying the situation. These things happen.

The magazine distribution arrangements are quite complex and nothing to do personally with the editor who everyone seems to want to carry the can.

Why do people seem to enjoy making a mountain out of a molehill? It seems to me that some people simply enjoy putting the boot in and get off on it in some way.

It's quite simple really, If you didn't get the second sheet of the plan and you want it then just email the publishers at the email address given. It's hardly rocket science! What more do you want - blood?

I just wish that some people would keep a sense of proportion about these things but they simply seem to prefer to grandstand to indulge themselves.

Colin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 09:47:34 pm »

I agree with Colin

Be grateful that Model Boats magazine and the publishers are correcting this minor problem.
Stop quibbling over such minor things as wording, we should be supporting them not constantly harassing them, there is a difference between constructive criticism and being down right rude.

Nick B
Nick B

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 09:55:02 pm »

Colin,

I support your loyalty 100%.

What I am saying is, why should I chase the publisher, manufacturer, etc, etc.

How simple would it be to just post out the missing plan from the subscription list.

The mountain is being created by the magazine refusing to accept any responsibility, no matter how small. Its like we didn't do it, which they were quick to point out, so not going to help fix it, hello, it is the right thing to do. Yes the costs are to be borne by the guilty parties.

Don't want the editors head, serves no purpose, send out the missing page/s problem solved.

One really bad stuff up lasts and undoes a lot of good impressions.

But hey, I am just a consumer who MB are trying to wooo.

As I said, how it is handled will determine the fallout, at the moment not looking good.

Gunna build those other boats one day.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 10:04:54 pm »

Error made and Identified..  Solution found.  Emailed Contact as per MB Post.. not really any hardship..   

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 10:37:43 pm »

How simple would it be to just post out the missing plan from the subscription list.

It would actually cost a lot of money, much of which would be wasted as by no means all subscribers are interested in that particular article and wouldn't miss it. To be honest, I enjoyed the article but wouldn't want to build the model so I didn't actually notice that the second sheet was missing until it was pointed out to me.

A mistake was made, a perfectly reasonable solution was offered to those who wanted the full plan. Sending an email requesting it is hardly asking too much is it?

My view with anything of this nature is that if a mistake is made then a practical solution should be offered to those affected and that is what has been done. I think some people need to get a sense of proportion here instead of insisting on feeling victimised. There are a lot more important things to worry about in the world.

Colin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.