Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: RESEARCH VESSEL METEOR  (Read 41879 times)

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
RESEARCH VESSEL METEOR
« on: November 20, 2013, 10:29:04 pm »

A long long time ago I read an article on Model Boats Magazine. It was the introduction of the new Revell kit Meteor 1:300.  scale. Having bought and built the kit I got interested in building a working scale model. It took sometime to find the G.A. plans and purchased from the German Maritime Museum. To my dismay and inexperience There was no line drawings or any info that would help build the hull . Having replied to a thread on Mayhem about an RAF Firetender I meet Riggers and the conversation came round to the Meteor. Riggers mentioned he had a friend that might be able to help me with line drawings. I received phone call from Bluebird. After a long chat with him he asked if he could have a look at the plans so I sent the plans to him' About a week later a large package arrived to my house. Opening it up there was this excellent scratch built hull of the Meteor. I phoned John and thanked him as I couldn't believe it. So started my quest in building the Research Vessel Meteor. You all must realise other than a Wave Princess and a Tarpon kit build I had no other model boat building experience. On with the build and I would like to thank the many people that helped with  parts, pics, info and where to get this and that on the net,
THE HULL

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
Re: RESEARCH VESSEL METEOR
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 11:56:15 am »

more pics of hull build

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 08:21:33 pm »

Very interesting! You seem to be off to a good start, keep up the good work!
Hama

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 10:46:17 pm »

Thanks. The model is almost finished it has taken 10 years . Most of the parts are in boxes ready to be assembled. Just the  mast to do.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 11:11:08 pm »

construction of hull

Bowwave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 06:59:06 pm »

Jimmy Woods   did a fine 1:96 model of Meteor .
Bowwave

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 05:09:57 am »

Looking good....
Brian  B

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 09:04:43 am »

Hi Bowwave
Cheers I have been in contact with Jimmy Wood for years and have loads of pic from him. Also lots of pictures from the Captain of the Meteor and other people.
 Hi B.B.
Cheers I've been hoping to finish the model every September for 5 years now and something happens every time

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 09:28:16 am »

More pics of the hull build. These were built by Bluebird

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 10:26:57 am »

Hi
the build is looking good.
I might be going mad but I could have sworn there was a build of this ship or a sister ship on her prior to the big melt down. I tryed searching for it can not find it.

john

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 11:30:37 am »

This is the build you refer to. Were all nutters on this site. l.o.l.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 12:46:28 pm »

The build I remember was almost finished. as this one is starting. you have lost me some were.

john

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 04:17:16 pm »

cos918
It was taken off the site sometime ago and  it did look like it was near finish but it wasn't. I've got my health back now( but getting an other op in 8 weeks) Restarted build over the last 6 months. This time I am including Bluebird's pics of the hull build.
Hope this explains the situation with you

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 04:25:03 pm »

Hello
that explains it now.

john

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 04:39:29 pm »

hi there Martin

ten years since that hull was built - and looking at the photographs - I still have the same rubbish under me bench  %%  - the bench is round the other way now, that was when I used to have the bench in front of the window.

Hurry up man, get on with the build and post the rest of the photos.    The hull was just the blank canvas, you have and are doing the real work.

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 08:13:35 pm »

Alright John just teasing you but can only load 3-4 pics at a time. Spent 4 days doing the 6 life rafts and now spray em tomorrow and at the same time doing the railing round the front of the bridge top. I'll push more pics in the next week.   

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 08:28:59 pm »

more pics

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2013, 08:53:10 pm »

last of hull pics

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 03:24:46 pm »

Here we go
 1st pic the Revell kit that started it all
2ND The hull getting clean up
3rd Original layout but motor couldn't line up with the prop shaft
4Th New layout. note motor is above prop shaft facing forward on it's new mount and belt drive
5Th New layout opposite view
Many thanks to Peter Henshaw HS93 for machining the motor bracket and  including a bearing seat.( R.I.P Peter)
Notice that I had to bend the rudder control rods. Thanks to Bluebird

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 04:02:38 pm »

1.Front deck section
2.Rear deck section
3.All weighted down for a few days
4. Decks completed

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 05:31:27 pm »

This is nice!!
And what a good friend, you sent him the plans to look at and receive a complete hull!
Keep them pictures coming!
Hama

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 06:25:06 pm »

Hi hama
Cheers he is a good mate, the best. Just a case of sorting the pics out as there on my old computer and my new laptop . Some of them have a 2003 date of creation

deadwood

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 12:48:41 pm »

It took sometime to find the G.A. plans and purchased from the German Maritime Museum. To my dismay and inexperience There was no line drawings or any info that would help build the hull.

Hello Seaspray,

I'm so sorry to read about your misfortune.
What a shame that you had to purchase the GA plans.

Btw, did you purchase them from the Deutsches Schiffahrtsmuseum (DSM) in Bremerhaven?
They do host a vast collection of shipyard ship plans in their archive.
But they, I am afraid, have to charge per copy, and they will probably also charge the time it requires a museum's employee to dig out the requested plans which sometimes may take a while,
for much of their inventory doesn't yet cover all of their plans in stock as it seems.

But especially with material about the METEOR there is an abundance freely available on the Internet.
Please, have a look at the website of the Institute of Oceanography of the University of Hamburg.
On this page you will find the links to sheet 1 and sheet 2 of the GA plan.
You will also find links to several issues of the METEOR Handbook (in German and in English, in different page formats, and of different dates of issue).
These handbooks are usually meant as a reference for scientists and other folks that embark on the METEOR for a research voyage in order to familiarize themselves with the vessel's layout, its equipment and life on board in general.
For us model makers these handbooks host many technical descriptions accompanied by drawings of gear and equipment such as cranes, probe hoists and test probes, radio equipment and antennae etc.
And they are fun to browse through for the technically inclined as well.

Apart from this bounty of material about the METEOR you can get all the plans, including the body plan, from the people at the institute directly if you ask them politely, as they are extremely helpful folks.
It took for instance a fellow model boater from our German R/C model boat forum only a phone call with Capt. Niels Jakobi of the institute to obtain all plans immediately for his planned model making of METEOR.
Said Niels Jakobi is also one of the co-authors of the book 25 Years of Research Vessel METEOR.
Although this book (unforunately for you) is written in German it also includes a reprint of the body plan sections of fore and aft ship in the book's hard cover inside.

When you download the GA plan you will realize from its side elavation (sheet 1) that the stem of your model hull deviates considerably from the current shape on the original vessel.
This is due to the fact that the shipbuilders (i.e. the sadly since long defunct Schlichting-Werft in Travemünde) soon convertert METEOR's bow pretty short after inauguration
because the scientists were complaining that the original big bulb seemingly was obstructing the (I think especially horizontal) waves of the echo sounder which is fitted to the keel close to the bow.
To come up with a more slender and with the echo sounder reconcilable bulb shape further model test were carried out at the Hamburg Ship Model Basin,
and the slim bulb cross section and less prodtruding stem contour below the DWL which can be seen today was retrofitted to the bow.

Also note that the hull lines bear another speciality which you can see from the image I took the liberty to attach to my post
because this vessel has been so vastly publicly documented in many research papers that I think no one would file a copyright case.
What I mean is the asymmetric stern according to Ernst Nönnicke.
You can find the patent specifications here for some explanations what the purpose is of this uncommon hull form.

I wonder if you incorporated an asymmetric stern into your model, which I would assume can be a little tricky to build.

As already mentioned, if you still need more material on the METEOR don't hesitate and contact Capt. Jakobi.
I am sure that he will be most co-operative.

Regards,
Ralph

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2013, 12:04:46 am »

Hi deadwood (Ralph)
Thanks for your reply interesting and very similar to the way i went to get the info on the Meteor. I did get 2 DVDs with loads of pics and the plans on a PDF file. A leaflet on the open weekend of the Meteor from Captain Niels Jakobi . The PDF file is good as I can blow it up to 100% and it is the correct scale size. Very useful as the original plans have been well used with lots of signs of ware. Recently inquired to the German Museum for a new sheet 1 plan which cost 30 euros. too much for me. I was told about the different shape around the rudder and prop area but the model is not to that spec. Nor has it the drop down thruster to keep her on station.

Currently just finished the rails on the helicopter deck and the 6 life rafts. The railings for cabin roof completed  and will be fitted to model at the weekend. That just leaves the main mast to do.

Regards
Martin   ( the other Martin)

If anything has come out of it. It is I am very good now at retrieving info off the net.

deadwood

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2013, 09:40:03 am »

Hi Martin,

I wasn't aware that you already had tapped the sources that I mentioned in my post and thus have been furnished with all the material available.

I agree, 30 € per sheet would also for me, who of necessity is a low cost and waste recycling modeller, be a bit hefty.

Regards,
Ralph
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.