Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what paint  (Read 3831 times)

spike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
what paint
« on: November 21, 2013, 03:44:13 pm »

what make of paint do i need to buy to use on my grp hull and what kind to use please

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: what paint
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 11:18:55 am »

I have moved your enquiry to the correct section.

Here, also,  you will find all you need to know about painting.

Best of luck

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 12:49:45 pm »

I have used PlastiKote spray for my GRP hulls.

As they are warships I have just used their grey primer.

It goes on well if you do lots of nice light coats.

Getting a bit chilly for spraying outside though.

All the best
Sandy

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 08:20:29 pm »

Dont waste your time and money with Plasticoat you CAN NOT  recoat it,it will react trust me I spray for a living and know what I am talking about....ont believe me .....ask Tug Kenny.

Right then go down to Halfords get some primer filler.....1st coat.......grey primer for everythng.Red oxid for the antifouling and whatever colour you need for the topsides.............you DO NOT have to varnish over thispaint as it is car paint......you don varnish a car do u .

Read how to prepare the hull primer etc in the tutorial I wrote.....any questions simply private message me

Dave

spike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 09:55:11 pm »

is it the one in spray can .con you get it so you can use a paint brush as i am crap with spray cans

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 10:57:44 pm »

NOPE  sorry you will have to use enamels then....Either use houshold gloss or Humbrol Or tamya acrylics.......Far better finish with car paints than brushed on paints....same prep though .................YOUR choice

Dave

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 10:57:13 am »

Just for clarity, what do you mean by re-coat it?

Dont waste your time and money with Plasticoat you CAN NOT  recoat it,it will react trust me I spray for a living and know what I am talking about....ont believe me .....ask Tug Kenny.

Right then go down to Halfords get some primer filler.....1st coat.......grey primer for everythng.Red oxid for the antifouling and whatever colour you need for the topsides.............you DO NOT have to varnish over thispaint as it is car paint......you don varnish a car do u .

Read how to prepare the hull primer etc in the tutorial I wrote.....any questions simply private message me

Dave

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 11:52:05 am »

Spike
Its practise I prefer spraying to the brush. Biggest mistakes are not shanking the can long enough and between sprays. Not to take your time in using  thin coats and waiting till it has dried. I did the battleships 12 years ago with Halfords car spray and used Acrylic varnish over it. Still looks good.

spike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 12:20:03 pm »

is it worth saving for a airbrush and compressor

Stavros

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 12:23:30 pm »

Hi 

Not being recoatable means you wont be able to apply more paint over it.

Plasticoat is baisically a 1 coat paint....put it on and forget it....if you decide there is not enough paint on it and decide to apply more there is a 99% chance that it will react....they even WARN you on the tins.

I decided to use this on a torpedo boat as a tutorial for you guys,applied the primer on the hull,left it in a warm place to dry....went to apply the top coat and it reacted,paint strippered it all off and tried again ....same thing again.....decided to cut out the primer and just apply straight on and it was OK ish......decided NOT to do the tutorial.....I would rather brush paint a hull with household paint tahn use this product..........I HATE IT with a VENGENCE.
Dont get me wrong it is ideal for garden gates furniture and things like that.Some on here will only use this stuff.

Please take a piece of advise,you have spent so much money on a hull etc WHY spoil it by brush painting,as Seaspray has said and it is totally 100000000005 true what he has said I coulnt have put it better myself........use some wood plastic piece of scrap metal and PRACTISE PRACTISE and yet AGAIN PRACTISE......Shake the can for  along time take your time nad you willl be very pleased with yourself....Ask Tug Kenny about his spraying exploits pm him if you want to

Dave

te he      %) %)    When it goes wrong..... it goes wrong big time

ken

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 04:07:24 pm »

Hi Spike
I've been thinking about a compressor and air brush for years Loud  compressors in my day and cleaning the gun put me off. I'll stick to Halfords can, as there is a variety of colours and the shades never seem to differ.  But practise, practise,  to see if you have the knack for the spraying. Spray using a swinging motion though the job. Stop spraying at the end of each swing. Then go for the airbrush if it is for you. Me I am rubbish with a brush   

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 04:42:25 pm »

Spraying is an art that requires a bit of practice as has been said.  Once you've got it though you will probably never use a brush again.  It really is a skill worth learning.

I use an Aztec airbrush and its so easy to use and clean and the results are great  :-)

spike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 07:22:37 pm »

can i use the halford primer filler on the wood to or use paint in a can and paint brush

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 09:50:00 pm »

What you need to do for wood is to spray car laquer on the wood 3 coats,this will bring the nap of the wood up...you can of course use sanding sealer then spray on the halfords primer filler

Dave

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 12:06:58 am »

I use Stavros's second choice of sanding sealer and finish off down to 400 grit wet n dry. ( use dry) Clean the surfaces  before spraying.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.