Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ANSELM  (Read 4667 times)

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
    • Miniature Merchant Ships
ANSELM
« on: May 17, 2006, 09:51:47 am »

I am now about to start my next project, the Booth Line passenger-cargo liner ANSELM of 1935, built to a scale of 32?=1?.

The frequency of the listings of this construction depend largely on the results of the poll (above).

I am very much aware that, although a few ship modellers are keen on this sort of thing, the vast majority are not.? ? Consequently, I would not like to take up space if only one or two were interested in the progress.? ? ?But in any case, a picture of the model will be posted shortly after completion.

Regards
Positive

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
Re: ANSELM
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 11:42:54 am »

Altho I completely lack the skill to make a model at such a small scale form scratch I did enjoy your previous postings and look forward to seeing this one from block of timber to finished ship.

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Barnsley Boy - gone South
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 12:34:01 am »

Positive,
Most modellers on here do build working models, or static models, the vast majority are larger than your own 'miniatures', if you don't mind me calling them that.  However (If I may speak for other fellas on here) that doesn't mean that we're not interested in what you do.  Your last build was very popular, got 100's of 'views', and just because you were going down a road slightly different to my own, modelling wise, I for one was still interested in watching your progress.
I'll look forward to your posts. ;)
Julian.

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 06:37:28 am »

Thanks for replies.? ? ?So far, there has been sufficient response for me to keep posting.? ?I would only have stopped if the interest were zero, or close to it.? ? ?Miniatures, by the way, is the correct name for them.? ? ? When I first started building models, I built large ones & often sailed them even, but being at sea at that time it was rather inconvenient as I had to get them home again at the end of the voyage.? ? ?I began miniatures when I saw a collection of them in Durban, South Africa by Donald McNarry.? ? ?I found them far more convenient than large models, and added bonus was that I could build them fairly quickly, so I got hooked on them.? ? ?I tend to build more steam & motor ships than sailing ships and am already wondering what to do when ANSELM is finished, although that will be several weeks in the future.
Regards
Positive

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 08:20:38 am »

Nice to see a "positive" result on the poll. Keep posting!

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 08:36:54 am »

May I ask where you get the plans from? the NMM seems so expensive, keep posting I enjoy watching the build progress.

Daryl

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 08:49:13 am »

Agree with the other comments, please keep posting. I find it very informative to see the builds and also the subjects are interesting.

Richard

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 12:21:48 pm »

Thanks for further replies.
PLANS
Yes, the National Maritime Museum does charge an astonishing amount (usually ?100 +) and I find it sad that so many (over a million) plans have fallen into their hands.? ? ? There are other sources, however:
Merseyside Maritime Museum, Birkenhead Town Hall (For Cammell Laird plans), The Mitchell Library (Glasgow), The Business Archives, University of Glasgow).? ? You can get their addresses & contacts details on the web.? ?I have found all the latter very helpful and more reasonably priced than NMM.

I use plans from various technical journals such as:
THE MOTOR SHIP -? SHIPBUILDING & SHIPPING RECORD - SHIPBUILDER - SHIPBUILDER & MARINE ENGINE BUILDER - THE SHIPPING WORLD -? SCHIFF UND HAFEN (German).? ? ?These journals contain numerous plans, often fold-out.? ? They all began in the early years of the 20th Century and THE MOTOR SHIP & SHIPPING WORLD are still running today.? ? I have my own collection of these journals, gathered over the years.? ? ? ? The Science Museum, London has a lot of them and I know that they could produce copies of plans for a very reasonable fee, but when I last spoke to them (over a year ago), the continuation of this service was under review.

Another useful source is from the books of David R MacGregor, whose publications hold a large number of sailing ship plans.? ? The books are still in print, so you can borrow them from local libraries.? ? Waine Research Publications also produces books such as BRITISH OCEAN TRAMPS Vols I & II as well as STEAM COASTERS etc, also full of good plans.

Hope this is of help
?
Regards
Positive

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 12:49:45 pm »

Hi Positive,
Thanks for the info, Shipping World is a very good read my son and I enjoy the variety it contains. The SS Great Britain trust also has some Macgregor plans I beleive.

I'll follow up the links, thanks you very much and keep up the good work and postings.

Daryl

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 01:02:08 pm »

For plans from the Hall Russel shipyard in Aberdeen you should contact the Maritime Museum in Aberdeen. The plans that were held by the John Lewis shipyard are in the private hands of Sir Ian Wood of Wood Group and can be bought for a reasonable fee I believe , contact thru Wood Group Aberdeen. The J Miller shipyard ( Methil ) plans are now I believe held at the Anstruther Fisheries Museum which hold a large collection of photographs from the Scottish Fisheries Protection Agency archive that were taken from the spotter planes in the 1970's and 1980's and can be bought for a reasonable fee at 10x8" in Black and White.

The Hall Russel shipyard build a great many Clipper ships ( the Thermopylae was built there ) as well as tramp steamers , cargo vessels , fishing vessels ( including the large freezer trawlers ) over the years and even built the Leeds Castle class of OPV.

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland

dennisw100

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 09:44:48 pm »

It's a forum about model boats, would have thought posting things about your project is what the forum is for. ;)

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 10:27:35 pm »

I forgot to add that the Lloyds register of shipping still holds a back catalogue of the plans of ships that they insured over the decades. I managed to get a 2 sheet ( A2 size ) copy of plans for my Grandfathers last trawler ( David John A169 built in 1969 at the John Lewis shipyard in Torry Aberdeen ) from them for ?45 5 years ago so they're always worth an Email to their archivist.

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2006, 12:39:45 pm »

I was very interested to hear about Lloyds Register keeping plans.? ?I had a look at their wbsite and wonder how far back their archives go - days of sail, or only recent years?
Anyway, back to ANSELM:

The basic hull shape has now been cut out & the upper decks (a combination of wood & steel) fitted.
Although things seem to be moving slowly at this stage, I am also in the process of veneering the display case quadrant & assembling the display case, inner base & light plywood carrying case.

Regards
Positive

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 07:49:33 am »

Some more progress made, but still looking pretty rough.
Regards
Positive

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2006, 06:06:58 pm »

The hull has now been plated & all the portholes drilled in.? ?The hawse pipes & bilge keels are also fitted.? ? The next task is to paint the hull, after which the model will start to look a lot better.? ?The loose parts of the accommodation & funnel have been put aside for safe-keeping whilst the hull is painted.? ?
Regards
Positive

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2006, 01:54:35 pm »

It is amazing what improvement a little paint will bring about.? ? The hull is now completed externally with the anchors fitted and the names on the bow & stern as well as the port of registry (Liverpool) on the stern as well.? ? It is now on a temporary ?building board? to minimise the need to touch the hull during ?fitting out!?

Regards
Positive

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 06:10:46 pm »

The model is looking a lot better now with the promenade deck accommodation fitted.? ? ? The boat deck, bridge, wheelhouse, engine-room casing & funnel are not yet fitted, but just placed in position.? ? Funnel painting for a Booth Line ship is very simple they were simply black all over!? ? ?The cargo hatches have also been made & fitted.

Regards
Positive

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 07:12:54 pm »

Here is the latest update on the ANSELM.? ?I appear to have been working quite slowly lately.? ?This was due to several factors.? ? ? The non-event of the Christie?s sale on May 25th, in which none of my 3 models were sold, removed the need to push ahead to get something ready for the next sale in November.? ? The disappointment was more than cancelled out on the 31st of May when a 1926 vintage wireless set which I had sent to another department in Christie?s, sold for well in excess of ?2,000!? ? ?The second factor was the side stanchions.? ? ?I tried a new method in producing these, but was not satisfied with the result, so scrapped them and made a new set using my tried & trusted method of etched brass.? ? ? A further delay was caused when I stopped temporarily to complete the model of the Thames tug S.A. EVERARD.

Regards
Positive

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 04:09:56 pm »

Here is the latest update on the ANSELM.? ? ?Again, things appear to have been moving more slowly of late.? ? The display case & carrying case are now complete though, and the base has been veneered.? ? ? ?I had made a mistake in the after end of the forecastle by omitting the cut out in the deck.? ?Fortunately, it was not too late to correct it without much trouble.? ? Another mistake became apparent when studying the plans more closely.? ? The funnel actually stood on the Boat Deck & not on top of the engine-room casing.? ? Fortunately again, I had not fitted the casing, so it was an easy matter to cut off the forward part to the correct length.? ? A new & longer funnel had to be made, as the original was then too short.? ? As the funnel is just a round tube, painted black this was no problem either.
Most of the deck machinery has now been made & fitted and also the mooring bits.

Regards
Positive

Wetwater

• Full Mayhemer
  • My mind often wanders. Once it left completely.
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 11:19:13 pm »

Looking good, as always, Positive.
Alan.

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2006, 07:52:29 pm »

Hello again everyone,
I have been away from ship model building for quite a few days now.? ?I have been deeply involved in the final proof reading of my book (RMS ST. HELENA & THE SOUTH ATLANTIC ISLANDS) which is due out in several weeks time.? ?Also in the final selection & scanning of the photographs.? ? The work is all complete now (I hope) & I have at last been able to return to the ANSELM.? ? ?I am in the process of fitting out.? ? All the deck rails have been made & some of them fitted.? ?I am currently making the masts & derricks from brass & copper as well as a lot of small detail about the decks.? ? ? I really hope things have now returned to normal.

?
Regards
Positive

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2006, 08:31:20 pm »

Glad to see the model is progressing and look forward to the book.

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2006, 07:45:36 am »

A bit more progress has been made with the completion of the details on the forecastle head, including the awning spars.? ?The mast & derrick assemblies have been completed & painted.? ?These are entirely of brass rod & strip and are all soldered together so they are not dependent on the rigging to hold them up.? ? ?Work has been very slow of late.? ?This has been for a number of reasons.? ? ?Final work proof reading my forthcoming book took up quite a lot of time, but this is now complete.? ? I was also called upon to produce a further 8 articles for my monthly ?Ships of the Past? column in ?Telegraph.? (Nautical paper) and also, for the past week, the weather has been so hot that I didn?t feel much like working inside.? ? Also, a lessening of demand for ship models is currently apparent with four major productions, LOUISIANA, RIPPINGHAM GRANGE, RAMON DE LARRINAGA & DILWARA all remaining unsold.? ? A further problem with overseas shipment concerns damage.? ?If a model is damaged, the insurance would expect it to be repaired in the country of destination rather than go through the long & expensive process of returning it to me for repair.? ? ? ?This may be a difficult problem as there are not many miniaturists about the World, and those that do exist have very high charges.? ? ?At the moment, I am at an ?is it worth it?? stage.? ? ?Although I have no intention of stopping building ship models, I am certainly slowing down until things pick up again and the next few models will definitely be smaller types.? ?

Regards
Positive

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2006, 06:08:11 pm »

All the deck details have now been completed.? ?The propeller has also been made & fitted.? ? All that now remains to complete the model is the rigging.? ? This will all be of fine copper wire.? ? ?The base & display case are all ready to receive the model & the carrying case is also complete.? ? ? The rigging of a steamer such as this is no great task and only amounts to a few hours work.? ? ? Work has now speeded up with a return of cooler weather.? ? ? The funnel appears to be a rather odd shape.? ? The reason for this is that the two tall ventilator/derrick posts set close to the forward end of the funnel are painted black which is also the same colour as the funnel.? ? They have all merged together in the photographs, but appear as normal when viewed in ?real life!?

Regards
Positive

japottinger

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2007, 07:24:26 pm »

How about a Brocklebanks ship Bob, I have a good wl plan of Marwarri.
Regards,
Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.