Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WAR HORSE  (Read 1260 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
WAR HORSE
« on: November 30, 2013, 11:29:39 pm »

Today I took my daughters and their friend to see War Horse, the Michael Morpurgo story, live on stage at the Lowry Theatre in Manchester.........

I have never seen such a magnificent production in my life................saw it on the movies a few years ago.............but this was something different altogether.....the horses used were an amazing work of art, both in their "modelling" and design, and the cast were superb...............I had tears running down my face, my kids the same, and fealt a little embarrassed until I looked at the lady beside me in the next seat to see that she also had covered her face with a kerchief............

if anyone enjoys live theatre, then don't miss out on a chance to go and see it......well worth the cost of a ticket.

less impressive was the Imperial War Museum, North, just over the Quays from the theatre...........all I can say is, the best and most inspiring exhibits, were morbidly a bombed out car lifted from the streets of war torn Baghdad and a  twisted window frame from the twin towers of New York.

the rest of the place was typical of the stuffy archetypal  museum that puts me off visiting such places, except that is was a modern building

But on a positive note........do try to see War Horse on the stage............I was mesmerised from start to finish.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
Re: WAR HORSE
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 11:53:00 pm »

I took the members of the HMS RAMILLIES ASSOCIATION to the I.W.M.(N) about 4 years ago.Nearly all of us made the comment "what a waste of space" They have not made use of the size of the building whatsoever.The main thing I remember was going up in the Tower,in the lift but what a draughty area that was.NOT recommended.
Mick F

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 10:33:45 am »

I am of the same opinion, it is more of a minimilist art gallery than a museum, vast open spaces in some places with angles, the exibits are minimal, although the war at sea the other year was not as bad as previous exibits - saying that it was confined to a medium area in the main 'gallery'.

Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

html

• Full Mayhemer
  • Gipping Valley Model Boat Club
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 01:27:28 pm »

I am off to see War Horse at Drury Lane Theatre on the 10th December, I have read the book and seen the film.

I do not suffer insanity, I quite like it!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 03:45:29 pm »

I went with an open mind to War horse, as there is something about the theatre that I seldom get to see........I was absolutely bowled over by it, HTML.....hope you enjoy it as much as I did, and it was extraordinary how being such a minimalist type of production ( props wise apart from the horses and the way they came through ) and all on one flat stage, how well it was portrayed.....truly superb.........would go again tomorrow if I had the chance of tickets. sadly sold out up here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.