Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drifter LT 100 Formidable  (Read 2493 times)

Humelvin

• Shipmate
  • Life is hard .. plank on frame is harder!
Drifter LT 100 Formidable
« on: December 01, 2013, 06:58:51 pm »

Just joined MM and interested to see all the good stuff and tips available.

I was looking for someone who has tackled a Hemmens plank-on-frame model as he does not seem to get much of a mention. I've been working on Formidable for four years (on and off) and have to say the kit is superb in its attention to detail BUT leaves an awful lot to be found out as the manual is pretty lean.  Lots about setting up your RC but pathetically little about design of half-frames and building the tug stern. John Hemmens says a new manual is in preparation but it's 4 years too late for me. 

I have double skinned the hull, first in mahogany (about 1500 wood trenails needed) and then second skin is a kind of walnut called monsana pinned with 4500 0.75mm copper rivets - that's why it's taken 4 years! Cannot find any reference at all to monsana on the web and JT told me you cannot buy it now because it's carcinogenic.  Good news after I've been sanding it down for a while!

Anyhow all that is behind me and I'm now onto the superstructure. Wheelhouse was a nightmare but now fitted.  Is there anyone out there that has done this? (Formidable I mean) so we can compare notes?  I have made contact with a real drifterman who has helped with a lot of fishing detail but I'm still short of some information. There's good plan available (not from Hemmens) and also a superb model in Model Shipwright.

Any thoughts?

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Drifter LT 100 Formidable
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 09:33:47 pm »

Why don't you take some photos and start your own build blog  I am sure you will get feed back then.

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 10:31:07 pm »

Have you seen the book
"From Tree to Sea by Ted Frost"
http://www.classichandtools.com/acatalog/Miscellaneous_Trades.html

Written by a chap who served his apprenticeship building Formidable.

An enjoyable read and beautiful drawings of the detail work.

Recommended

Cheers longshanks

Humelvin

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 12:08:41 pm »

Thanks for comments. I have actually kept a photo diary over the four years and will put some on the forum. Just need to sort them out.

Humelvin

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 08:28:37 pm »

A few of the pictures of Formidable taking shape.  Usually a burst of activity over winter then a summer break while I sail a dinghy. Currently hoping for completion by spring next year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.