Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rmas rollicker  (Read 2662 times)

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
rmas rollicker
« on: December 05, 2013, 07:21:49 am »

Just a quick question for the tug boys. I have a rmas tug that I am rebuilding.  But paints not right.  Anyone know the   bs codes.  For superstructure.  Sorry for asking :embarrassed:

Frank

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
Re: rmas rollicker
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 09:01:29 am »

Superstructure etc. BS381C 358 Light Buff, decks were BS381C  220 Olive Green until 1978 and from then BS381C  632 Dark Admiralty Grey.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 09:26:23 am »

Humbrol No7 is the Buff for the Superstructure and inside of gunwhales.
The problem using paint codes is that the crews never just used the paint straight out of the tin.
The Bosun would usually add varnish or other colours to get the colour the way he wanted it.
Why did they do it, because they could!!!

Bob
(ex Engineer on her)
Officially a GOG.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 09:13:43 pm »

If I remember right all deck fittings including winches, capstans and anchor windlass were black, on bollards where the mooring rope touches that was left bare, a special grease was applied. Porthole fittings, stanchions and fixed safety rails were white. Only remember green decks with this class, only vessels I remember with the two part grey decks were the Tuts and a few harbour craft. Not seen on most models, there is an auxiliary engine control unit abaft the bridge and funnels on the bridge deck, the Robust and Rollicker had no steering position in this position just a PA headset to control the Helmsman in the bridge and the tow deck. As bob says the crew would often mix other things like varnish into the paint pots which made the buff darker. But with this class there was always a lighter matt finish on the buff upper works, which was pyramid shape with its point at the top of the bridge deck gunwale going down the side opposite each bridge door, I should know I helped to burn the gloss of myself a few times. That's why the galley skylight was always secured in rough weather.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 09:17:09 pm »

I forgot to say that often the paint contractors were changed so that led to paint nearest the colour spec being supplied.

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 10:11:39 am »

Don't be shy in getting some pics up I'm rebuilding the same model at the moment and really enjoying the size of this tug.

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 11:39:04 am »

The RMAS removed the lifeboats, when they took over the R's from the ocean towing group, although they had Robust from new, on the grounds of stability though I suspect there was a financial influence. They could achieve a bollard pull of 50tons , but this could only be sustained for 15 minutes, then the power was some what reduced to avoid overheating the engines. The bow fender arrangement was altered in the early 1980's as and when they went to refit, Robust was first as she was used mainly as a harbour tug unlike the other two. In fact Robust in Devonport was a very useful tug, strapped alongside the quarter of a type 22 she could easily take it cold move up the Hamoaze to secure it to a buoy.
But there overall problems where stability, and the wrong type of towing winch fitted to them, they where originally supposed to have been small versions  of the Englishman, that is until the authorities in Bath stuck there noses in. But there decks like all seagoing RMAS vessels where Olive Green, Humbrol 88 is the colour I use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.