Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A proposition for someone.  (Read 2063 times)

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
A proposition for someone.
« on: December 05, 2013, 09:42:46 am »

I have a proposition for someone, but first a quick bit of background...

I suffer from COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) and Rheumatoid Arthritis in my knees/shoulders/wrists and fingers...last week I was caught red handed by my doctor (my carer opened the door to him on a home visit) with my X craft in one hand and a file in the other, about to file out another flood slot. He was not best pleased with me to say the least, and I'm now banned from working with fibreglass.

Now...the proposition: is there anyone who would take on the job of drilling and filing out the flood slots for me? There are twenty six of them to do (I did start one which just needs finishing off).

I'm more than willing to pay a good price to have them done to a good standard, I'll remove the rudders and other bits to make life easier, and I'll pay carriage both ways.

Anybody who would take this on for me, please contact me via the forum's pm service.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

inertia

Re: A proposition for someone.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 11:24:37 am »

Uggett
Why not use a dust mask? You can get them with different filters for different types of particles. Machine Mart sell them and there must be others on t'Interweb.  Just a thought.
Dave M

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 11:26:58 am »

Hi boss...yep, a mask is good for the dust, but it's the actual cutting/filing of the things that stuffs me, I can't hold a file any sense to file them out due to the RA in my hands and fingers.
Rich

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 11:49:18 am »

Hi ya Rich

Rich, I should say SNAP - I have exactly the same as you.   I know how difficult it is to hold your hand straight and use files and simple tools.   If, you are like myself, you cannot stand a mask on your face - because it inhibits your breathing and makes breathing that bit extra difficult, breathing in etc.   It doesnt seem to matter what type of mask it is.    I have overcome this by using the Nebuliser mask fed by the neb machine (i.e. dont put any Ipratroprium liquid in the chamber or whatever you use).

That helps me.

Also along with a small vacuum cleaner at hand - the other thing is - what people dont understand is, if you are on steroids the same as me and the two medicines - you get shaking hands.   It makes working with hands difficult.

I have a way of getting round that as well.

I have an old 6 volt battery and rest my hand on that - it stops the hand from shaking and position whatever I have to do in front of it - and make sure its firmly held to the bench.

Just to let those who dont suffer COPD know what its like - its a frustrating thing at times - cos some of the simplest things in life can become complicated.

Aye its a grand life you dont weaken.

aye

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 12:25:00 pm »

It's so frustrating, John...things that used to take me five minutes to do a few years ago now take me half an hour, or so it seems. I've just made a small hatch for the front of the X craft...a small oval shaped piece of styrene and two pieces of brass wire to represent the lifting handle and the hinge. The first attempt went straight in the bin, as did attempt two...after a cuppa and some bad language, attempt number three is...well, just about passable from six feet away. A coat of paint will help, as will being submerged six feet down!

It's not so much the COPD that annoys me, I've learnt to cope with that, it's the non cooperation of these damn fingers...I know exactly what I'm trying to do, but somewhere between my brain and fingers it all goes horribly wrong.

Hmm...having looked at attempt number three closely, I think the bin is calling!

Rich
Rich

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 01:09:30 pm »

Rich,

give it until after Christmas for someone closer to you to come forward, and if no one will do it, you can send it up here to poulton le fylde after the Christmas parcel rush and i'll file them for you.

as for charging you.....just put me a nice bottle of red wine in the same box, that'll do me.

neil.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 01:17:36 pm »

That sounds like a plan to me, Neil...I'll sit tight then.

Thanks mate, appreciate that.

Rich
Rich

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 01:48:45 pm »

Where about's in Sussex are you?

I live near Horsham in Southwater and could maybe have a bash. Not sure how fast I could do them, maybe two or three an evening but might get the job done.

Are the ports marked on the hull or would they need to be transferred from a plan? What is the material too, vac formed plastic or fibreglass?

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 02:08:18 pm »

Hi Craig,

I'm in a little village called Polegate, just a cough and a sneeze outside of Eastbourne. (where the A27 meets the A22)

The slots are all marked out on the hull mate, a deep indention...you can see them on the photo. The material is fibreglass...of variable thickness, and the gel coat is a bit iffy too, you only have to look at it and it cracks or flakes off.

I can email you a bigger image if that would help?

Rich
Rich

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 07:08:19 pm »

Gentlemen...I'd like to thank you all for the kind offers of help, I appreciate them all, I am now sorted, one of our club members is going to sort me out.

Once again, I thank you all...

Rich
Rich

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 07:31:06 pm »

:-)) :-)) :-))

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 08:15:56 am »

That's good news.  :-))

Oh, The hatch looks fine by the way, crack on with the build. :-)

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 08:22:24 am »

Thanks Craig...I just need to change the lifting handle on the hatch, not happy with that, it shows the cut marks where the cutters went through the brass wire, so I'll cut a new one and file the edges smooth before fitting it (when the painkillers have set in....) My life seems to be dictated by medication nowadays...

Rich
Rich

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.