Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updates on the 70`CMB  (Read 8072 times)

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
Re: Updates on the 70`CMB
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2006, 09:46:58 pm »

Sharing work and knowldege my partner Andy made the bridges and I started with the rest of all these little bist and pieces. Like the covers for the motor hatches I have made the vents on the engineroom covers on my own. Two pieces of brasstube, soldered together and filled out with Epoxy (and a little bit of sanding paper and loooooots of patience) gave the positive, where I vacformed the vents like told before.
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2006, 09:53:20 pm »

The next step was the paint. We used Acrylic-paint out of the spraycan and started with a light grey. After two days of drying time we came to the black. You probably may imagine the faces of my neighbours behind the windows, when they saw me in the garden with the two hulls, in a real thick sweater and a spraycan.....- we are talking of a temperature about plus 2 degrees Celsius. I assume that they had given me the predicat: "Winterresistant modeler" or they simply call me a nerd...

to be continued
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2006, 07:18:23 am »

Now coming up to all the small bits and pieces. The so-called drawing had shown no details about the gunnery, nor any armament. Though I flicked through the internet and found a page where some photographs and sketches had been shown about early Lewis machinguns. I take the sketch and changed it to the carrier, which was shown on the drawing as the base. Each Machinegun was made out of 13 single pieces.

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2006, 07:21:24 am »

But there is nothing known about the colour, though I decided a colour, which might match to the appearance of the boat. As said in an earlier update: There had been lots of guess in the build of this boat- we just can count on some photographs.But I hope we have caught the reality.

Pointy

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2006, 06:51:01 pm »

:o amazing work, how did you replicate the boats shape so well!!!

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2006, 11:42:55 pm »

Pointy, the original drawing just had 4 frames, a top view and a side view. The rest was measured out of photographs, scanned up and brought into a relation. It took lots of calculations and a good lense to get the details out of 90 year old photographs, but as you will see it worked not too bad. The pattern is still o.K.- so in my opinion it is worth of doing some more hulls....- if anybody is interested, please let me know.
I will be at Chartwell House end of June with that boat, to meet up with my mates from the SWA. Though I hope it will be a pleasure to play with it in Winnies lake.  :D

Happy modeling, J?rg

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2006, 07:58:39 am »

Just for the info- I don`t have forgotten the updates, at the moment we are sitting over the depth-charges carriers. As usual no drawing available, just a sketch and some b/w photographs......
Update to follow soon....

J?rg

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2006, 11:23:26 pm »

O.K.- back again from the workbench after some hot days....

The depth charges had been made out of a plastik-tube from a homeworker-store.

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2006, 11:25:54 pm »

... then closed with a piece of plasticard and turned in the lathe to their final shape....

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2006, 11:27:42 pm »

The carriers for the depth charges had been made out of brass and formed in a special tool we created for that.

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2006, 09:20:34 am »

O.K. then- the last update on this post. The boat is finished, had some spectacular trials in the UK on the lake of Chartwell house.
After all, there are just some little technical improvements to be made and I can close this subject for now.
Thankyou to all those, who supported me, the nice comments and those, who gave motivation when I was close to throw all the rubbish in the corner......

J?rg

P.s:
The next project will be started in a week or two ;D.........

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2006, 07:54:13 am »

:) If there are any questions by your side, please don`t hesitate to contact me. I will try to sort them out anyway.

J?rg

warspite

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2006, 07:35:44 pm »

superb build j?org, I dont have the patience to build to that kind of detail, i have enough trouble putting an Airfix kit together ;D

Thats why i like the airfix, matchbox, revell kits, i can claim is down to the mould not fitting properly, he he

I do have an Airfix 'S' boat which when i get the chance, may (more likely not) run faster, at the moment it runs like a snail on prozak, the next set of tests may speed it up.

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2006, 09:48:30 am »

Waspite, to be honest:
Give me a kit and I will kick it in the bin as I don`t have the patience to put numbered items together. Pass me a drawing and I have all the time of the world to make it happen, even to ask if the toilett-doors hinges had been on the left or the right side....

Honestly, this is why I refuse kits! I am an absolute idiot on them!  :D

Jörg
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.