Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Receiver position  (Read 1823 times)

Black Shoe

• Shipmate
Receiver position
« on: December 06, 2013, 01:26:28 am »

I built a wooden box for the 4" speaker that is for my towboats sound system. As it turns out, the after side of the box affords a convenient place for the RC receiver.
Will the magnetic field from the speaker cause any problems for the receiver?

Thanks,

Tim
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
Re: Receiver position
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 11:18:42 am »

I try and keep the Rx and the Aerial wire away from everything Also make sure the wire is above the water level on the model. What is the radio type and make you are using. This will help you with other members suggestions.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 11:24:55 am »

No.  The magnetic field is steady, apart from very small variations introduced by the sound signal.  These should be contained within the speakers magnetic path which is internal anyway, being between the outer of the magnet and the core (the bit up the inside of the coil) and the coil itself.  Add to that, the fluctuations will be at audio frequency, the radio should not respond to them at all.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Black Shoe

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 03:59:40 pm »

Thank you both for your input!
As it turns out, the speaker box will be up into the deckhouse so the distance above the water will be virtually the maximum I could go with this boat anyway.
I'm delighted the speaker magnet will have no effect as this will allow the receiver to be mounted high and away from the ESC's, motors, and 95% of the wiring.  :-))

Thanks again,
Tim
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 09:17:20 pm »

The downside of mounting a speaker high is that self same magnet.  To give something meaty enough for the cone to push against to give a decent sound level, it usually needs to be strong, which usually means large, and that means heavy.  Just be careful that stability is not compromised.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Black Shoe

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 02:49:08 am »

The downside of mounting a speaker high is that self same magnet.  To give something meaty enough for the cone to push against to give a decent sound level, it usually needs to be strong, which usually means large, and that means heavy.  Just be careful that stability is not compromised.

Yes sir, agreed. The speaker is mounted in the "Engine Room" space inside the three window area, so it's only slightly higher than deck level. This boat has about eight pounds of removable lead buckshot bricks in the bottom of the hull which makes it very stable. Even at full speed and a tight turn the heel is barely perceptible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 22 queries.