Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prop tube leak  (Read 9642 times)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Prop tube leak
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2007, 12:06:37 pm »

The arrangement of the lip seal even extends to the multi-lipped variety used on stern seals where you may have 3-4 lips in one seal of maybe 600mm diameter

Sounds a bit like a toilet pan connector then?

Not too disimilar an arrangement.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

catengineman

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2007, 03:52:14 pm »

Delving into the construction of seals could become a large posting site as there are many - and I mean many different types and for models I would employ the keep it simple method. why/

a too tighter seal will drag on the shaft, cause the shaft to have a wear line (yes rubber will cut into steel etc)
a miss aligned seal will as above but would fail quickly at the tighter point

From reading the postings I think most of the models seem to use a 3mm or 4mm shaft with a tube to match having brass or nylon bushes at each end fitting a greasing port to the inner end would aid filling with light grease (I use spray chain lube) and as "we" all seem to look into the vessel at the end and the beginning of each use why not top up this grease then, both as a lubricant and as a water flushing agent (to stop corrosion if the model is lay-ed up for any length of time).
I know that the SUB mariners amongst us have a different view on things and I think (I'm not sure as I don't use a sub) that they employ a total seal system

this is just the ramblings of ME and my thoughts

Richard,

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2007, 04:16:20 pm »

I would definately recommend a shielded ball bearing as a replacement for a brass or nylon bush, especially for a model under construction.

Better alignement and much better sealing of the end of the shaft with considerably improved clearances.  Whats more they only cost a couple of pounds for such sizes and can be purchased to replace most common bushings.

Fit these and you don't have to worry about any other form of seal to restrict the shafts rotation.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2007, 07:43:57 am »

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2007, 09:52:28 pm »

These prop shafts are a bit dearer than most,But they are in a class of there own.  if you are going to put a few hundred hours in to a boat this can solve a lot of problems ,fit and forget.

Peter

http://www.scalehobbies.net/id24.html

badbunny

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2007, 10:33:44 pm »

I would definately recommend a shielded ball bearing as a replacement for a brass or nylon bush, especially for a model under construction.

Better alignement and much better sealing of the end of the shaft with considerably improved clearances.  Whats more they only cost a couple of pounds for such sizes and can be purchased to replace most common bushings.

Fit these and you don't have to worry about any other form of seal to restrict the shafts rotation.

Hi, where can you get these shielded ball bearings in small quantities?
Thanks, Pete.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2007, 11:10:48 pm »

BORIS

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2008, 09:16:13 pm »

I Dont bother, but i make sure i keep all the electrical bits...reciever etc on a platform [to keep it above any water that leaks in]...and every 45 minutes or so...i just stop the boat and use a syringe to take most of the water out...another trick is to line the bottom of your hull near the propshaft with Thick absorbant kitchen towel..this soaks up a lot of the water...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.