Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Would you report a UFO?  (Read 4161 times)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
Would you report a UFO?
« on: December 10, 2013, 04:18:45 am »

Ok guys

Oddball 04:00 question but would you report a UFO? Let's say you were pretty positive that you had seen one; what would you do? I have always believed most people wouldn't report it.

Dave

Bear in mind you can't discuss alien politics and people from the red planet might vote blue  %)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Would you report a UFO?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 04:47:37 am »

Dave....some 30 years ago on my early morning daily [0500 winter is dark]  80 km drive from Wollongong to HMA Garden Island Naval dockyard...a strange light/mass hovered in the total blackened west of me for maybe 12 minutes until reached a populated & well lit suburb [Heathcote]

I was driving @ approx. 80 to 110 km/h...........the image of the light appeared just ahead & parallel with my vehicles speed/motion...the distance was approx. 1/2 a kilometre west from the Southern Expressway and with an elevation of 100 metres ....I could only see this via the top lefthand side of my vehicles front window

Well...by 0900 I was the laughing stock of the Weapons Department...& felt embarrassed & if not silly for evening mentioning it

At 1045, two plain clothed gentlemen approached me on-board an HMA warship & identified themselves as Australian Government officials.....I spent 30 minutes ashore in an interview room having my experience committed to a tape recording........

In the end I was told just to forget my experience & not talk about it further......................

Strangely by 1200 [lunchtime] no other Weapons staff made any comment...........as if the subject was TABOO............Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 05:52:51 am »

Who to report it too?
The MOD UFO desk was shut down in 2009.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22991014
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 08:12:33 am »

as an astronomer, I have scanned the skies with a great wish to see a UFO, but everything I have seen is explainable, even the triangle of widely spaced lights that went over in formation (3 weather satellites) if you know where to look it up a lot of unexplained lights are explainable.
Grendel

furball

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 11:24:05 am »

Hi Grendel,

Are you a member of MKAS or SEKAS? I'm just rekindling my interest in astronomy after many years (now got an old Celestar 8  ) & wondered whether it was worth joining one or the other?  Both seem to use Canterbury as a base for public observing, it's just their meetings are held at different ends of the county.

Cheers

Lance

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 12:13:59 pm »

SEKAS, I am the publisher and editor of the club magazine (when we get enough material to print a copy).
We do hold public observing sessions once a month at the Simon Langton boys School (first Friday in the month) during the school year. Canterbury is on the border between the two so to speak. We do have several members in the Herne Bay area
Grendel

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 12:56:22 pm »

Oh I sort of agree Grendel, an awful lot is very explainable but nevertheless ... If you were sat having a picnic at a remote spot on a clear day and you had an Oh My God / Can't Believe My Eyes moment; would you report it?

I started thinking about it after hearing the problems a pilot had after reporting something. Derek mentions a visit and interview the same day.

Would I like to see a UFO? Not really, but I would like to see Hot Pants back in fashion again  O0

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 01:39:18 pm »

Not unless it was blocking my drive  <*<

I was locking the porch door late one night when I saw a line of lights crossing the estuary. My fist thought was helicopters going in to the military base nearby. Then I realised there was no noise. For a fraction of a second I thought UFO, then kicked myself and rationlised that they were chinese lanterns, probably from the local castle used as a wedding venue. But for a fraction of a second I was a believer!
Don't Assume Check

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 04:11:21 pm »

If it would give me a nice quiet room with meals away from the Christmas Mess YES.
Dang light will not work proper, Santa keeps falling over, Cats have knocked half the Balls of the tree again, and the Wife wants some baking done etc.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 06:42:02 pm »

There is a distinct difference between an “Unidentified Flying Object” (Air Traffic definition) and a genuine alien spaceship from another world.

The first occurrence of the later would instantly dominate global news headlines for months, rather than selectively appearing in remote areas with UFO enthusiast groups.   ie:  No point in being one of millions jamming the media to report a real alien spaceship.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 08:21:23 pm »

Not unless it was blocking my drive

Good Man  :-))
And if hovering nearby your right to light too.
I don't care if they have travelled a thousand light years; this is a conservation area!
Yes the council offices would get their share of complaints.

God help the Alien craft that parks overnight on this estate though >>>>>

Dave

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 08:47:36 pm »

Norseman........the following is fact..... 'two plain clothed gentlemen approached me ........& identified themselves as Australian Government officials' ...having said that they also worked or were based in secure buildings on GID just 50 meters from my office.......
My security classification was to 'Secret' ........but I could not access certain secure buildings........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 11:33:40 pm »

The eyes are wonderful, but are prone to telling lies  :}

there are numerous spooky tests..they appear sporadically on facebook.....where there are images with missing bits, the brain adds things to make a picture that is acceptable to you or i....but can be false  {-) {-)

There is phenominal energy coming from Eta Carina which is an amazing source of light some million times more bright than our sun...it is a phenominal site, as we are protected form the full force of this bye a magical wing ( yes some believe it could be source/god ) but you should google its picture....beautiful

anyhow there is more light/ photons bombarding the earth than ever before....i constantly see flashing lights and what the (beep) was that....

I also think teleportation, ufo's ( visitors ) are highly probable in some capacity.......the amount of technologial advances in the last 100 years compared to the previous 10's of thousands proves to me us feeble minded humans are being given some help in recent times

I agree, who would you report it to, these things get covered up and buried...along with the witness {-)  lol

:-))

Yogibear

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 11:56:49 pm »

I wouldn't even know who you were supposed to report it to. Defiantly not the police, can't even get them to respond promptly when a crime has been commit ed.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 12:22:32 am »

Which do you want?
Reduced taxes or to report UFOs?
Because reporting UFOs is just wasting official time and money.  >>:-(

Most UFOs are readily identified by people who know what they are - like "It's a fricking helicopter!" or "It's a military thingy that we aren't going to admit exists" (possibly with a subtext of "and if you blab about it you soon won't exist either  <*<  ").

Chris says above that our eyes "are prone to telling lies". Not strictly true: our eyes (and ears, etc) are an instrument collecting data - it's what our brains do with that which produces misinformation.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 04:22:47 am »

We could try reporting a small one to the moderators
Maybe Mayhem has it's own area 57 ... maybe Martin keeps his shirts in there .

Dave

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 09:00:49 am »

Dave

from what i've heard, it has to be a really dark room, any suggestion of a faint flicker of light and opening the door can cause pernament blindness, he only brings out the low intensity shirts so as not to get sued  O0 , and who owns areas 52 through to 56, mayhemer skunk works for those really intense creations

Oh and No - just hope that it was and not something that would make me look more of an idiot than I already am
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 10:15:51 am »

Dave

Now now, be careful, it may be deemed flaming political debate.....your not trying to influence us are you ?  {-) {-)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 10:48:46 am »

The often-marvellous xkcd nails it, once again.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 12:04:54 pm »

On flying saucers I cannot comment. Flying dinner plates however do exist.
When sufficient buttons have been pressed repeatedly and for long enough, and then a new shiny nuclear button is found ...     >>:-(  then all rational thought ceases and my right hand will launch a plate of curry and rice from the table onto a serving hatch, and thereby exploding through into the kitchen.

To this my wife said 'I've waited twenty five years for you to do that (lose my temper)'. Wives are the UFO's Alien cargo.
Took me ages to clean up  :embarrassed:

Dave

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 01:29:39 pm »

On flying saucers I cannot comment. Flying dinner plates however do exist.
When sufficient buttons have been pressed repeatedly and for long enough, and then a new shiny nuclear button is found ...     >>:-(  then all rational thought ceases and my right hand will launch a plate of curry and rice from the table onto a serving hatch, and thereby exploding through into the kitchen.

To this my wife said 'I've waited twenty five years for you to do that (lose my temper)'. Wives are the UFO's Alien cargo.
Took me ages to clean up  :embarrassed:

Dave
It is usually the Husband that sees the Flying Dinner Plate, usually after engageing mouth before mind with comments like "This dish tastes funny did you make anything normal"
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 02:19:55 pm »

I cook
My wife warms up  {:-{

Hah! the wife's warming up - must be Xmas  {-)

Dave

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 08:00:31 pm »

I know of one UFO incident.... 2 MOD RIBs 'buzzing' the police boat with Night Vision Goggles on (so no nav lights) at full pelt at silly o'clock in the morning.  %)

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 06:38:43 am »

I recall seeing a silver ball travelling through the skies, never figured out what it was, wife and family didn't believe me until someone reported it to the local newspaper.
Some others from the region here - http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/ufo-sightings-manchester-top-ten-6387883

Tony
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.