Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ashes  (Read 36018 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
The Ashes
« on: December 10, 2013, 04:54:03 am »

I couldn't help myself, I just had to say something about the cricket %)  After a dismal time in the last few Ashes series, Australia has finally come out breathing fire. While England were clearly the better side in England earlier this year, I believe the Aussies showed enough to make cricket followers believe that things were starting to turn around. We were thrashed at Lord's, but other results were much closer, and England were saved by the weather, and some awful umpiring decisions, on two occasions.

The Australian cause was not helped by Cricket Australia's decision to sack coach, Micky Arthur, and replace him with Darren Lehmann, literally weeks from the commencement of the tour. Lehmann was certainly the man for the job, but the timing of the appointment was appalling. However, results have shown that the decision was the correct one, and while the personnel are much the same, the attitude within the squad has improved out of sight.

England were steamrolled by 381 runs in Brisbane, with Mitchell Johnson the main destroyer, and by 218 runs in Adelaide, with Johnson dominant again. The England team looked thoroughly demoralised as they walked off in Adelaide, and it will be a big job to get them thinking positively for the Perth match. I would definitely not write England off, they are too good a team for that, but they are going to have to pull something extra out of the hat for the third test on a wicket that is traditionally a fast bowler's paradise.

We will see.

Peter.

inertia

Re: The Ashes
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 08:28:02 am »

We will see.
Peter.

You might see it, Peter - most of us Poms can't bear to watch. Too much limited-overs cricket makes for stupid shot decisions in test matches, and there is no excuse for dropping catches at this level of cricket. The Australians play relatively few one-day games so they aren't as infected by the different mind-set. I thought the summer's series result flattered England and it looks like I was right, although Johnson bowled like a clown in England.
DM

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 08:50:21 pm »

Dave, you're quite right about the effect limited overs games has on players and, in my opinion, the 20/20 format has an even more detrimental effect. David Warner is a case in point, he first caught the eye in the 50 over game, in particular one against South Africa where he terrorised the crowd with his huge hits. He then starred in T20 games, but when he was first selected for the longer form of the game he tried to play the same way, not always successfully. It is only lately that he has succeeded in modifying his style to suit test match cricket. I just wish he would learn when to keep his mouth shut >:-o .

Johnson was poor in England, but some coaching from Dennis Lillee seems to have had the desired result, and he is now Australia's main effective strike bowler.

Peter.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 09:47:41 pm »

I was dreading this thread......But knew you would have to mention it Peter......That said, I do recall doing the same a couple of series ago.
Fair play to the Aussies. They have clearly outplayed us and with largely the same bunch of guys that have been beaten in recent Ashes series.
England have the talent and can turn things round, but I do not think they will do it over there. Almost time to hand the urn over for a short time. (Metoforically speaking that is).
 <:( <:( <:( :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 10:22:33 pm »

I couldn't help myself, I just had to say something about the cricket %)  Peter.

I'm amazed it took you so long peter..............been waiting for the broadside and grape shot all week, {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

I'll think of something to say by the end of the 5th test, but just shell shocked at the mo <:( <:( <:( <:( <:(

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 08:34:46 pm »

just shell shocked at the mo <:( <:( <:( <:( <:(

I know how you feel, Neil, I felt like that for the last 3 Ashes series O0 

Barry, you're right, it isn't over yet, but surely we can't lose from here............can we? {:-{  Should we win the Ashes back, it's only a symbolic "handing over" of the Urn because, as everyone knows, it stays in England. It simply wouldn't do to let it go to the colonies {-)

Peter.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 11:45:30 pm »

I'm amazed it took you so long peter..............been waiting for the broadside and grape shot all week, {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

I'll think of something to say by the end of the 5th test, but just shell shocked at the mo <:( <:( <:( <:( <:(

Neil,
The saying goes keep your powder dry and wait until you can see the whites of their eyes. O0 O0 O0
Peter can now see them, O0 O0 O0 incoming %% %% {-) {-) {-) %) %) %)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 07:50:25 am »

I know how you feel, Neil, I felt like that for the last 3 Ashes series O0 

Barry, you're right, it isn't over yet, but surely we can't lose from here............can we? {:-{  Should we win the Ashes back, it's only a symbolic "handing over" of the Urn because, as everyone knows, it stays in England. It simply wouldn't do to let it go to the colonies {-)

Peter.

Peter,
Now come on. We share our language with you, our culture.....well some of it, and even allow you to share our Queen........but the real urn! Never!!!
 :police: %%

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 06:43:46 am »

Well, Barry, we may never get the real urn here in Australia, but we have comprehensively won it back, symbolically, with a 150 run victory in the third test. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say England have been well and truly thrashed, by what many experts consider to be not a very good Australian team. George Bailey hammered James Anderson for a test match record of 28 runs in one over, very demoralising.

At least Ben Stokes (120) and Ian Bell (60) brought some semblance of respectability to an otherwise dismal England score card, but England were simply outclassed - for once. It is said that all good things must come to an end, and this is the case for England. However, I still maintain they are a good team, and are sure to have better times ahead. For now, though, I will enjoy the moment :-)

Peter.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 08:28:41 am »

Peter,
Very well done to Australia. They have been superb. To turn around what I consider to be an average side, Darren Leyman must take much of the credit. As for England, well it may just do them good. They thought they were better than then are. Now they know differently. Let the rebuild begin!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 09:14:15 am »

taught us poms a thing or two.............complacency, too much confidence and arrogance, and a little too much over hype by the press........lol.......always a good tonic is a damn good thrashing, as Terry Thomas once said in the great comedy Its a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.........think that's what the England squad will be thinking through rose filtered glasses this morning when the fly off to the next venue  {-) {-) {-) {-) %% %% %% %% %%

a bit of humility for the next one me thinks {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 10:09:38 am »

I suppose to make you all feel better, we should let you know, that we actually let you win the other occasions to keep the game going because our winning each game was starting to tell. %) %) %) %% %% %%
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 11:08:20 am »

Britain has always been good at inventing games, - - - - it's just a pity that we stand on the sidelines watching every other country playing them properly.  O0

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

inertia

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 12:33:36 pm »

It wouldn't surprise me if England were to win at least one of the last two Tests, now that the pressure is off. As long as the selectors finally acknowledge that KP's time has passed and that Alistair Cook is a crummy captain in adversity (c/w say Andrew Strauss or Mike Vaughan) they might stand a chance to build a new side. Australia look set fair for a couple of years with this present team - well, until old bones start to creak (Watson, Warner, Clarke, Harris) and Johnson's bowling action finally catches up with his spine and neck muscles. He might be fast but he's no Lillee or Holding to watch.
DM

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 09:17:15 pm »

Dave, even when Australia was on top of the test rankings, we had a bad habit of losing so-called "dead" games once the series was won, so it will be interesting to see how the current lot cope. As regards Mitchell Johnson not being a Dennis Lillee or Michael Holding to watch - who else was? They were truly great bowlers with great bowling actions, both of whom lasted a long time in the game. Australia has a long list of up and coming cricketers waiting for their chance at the big time. One thing that is of concern, however, is the number of young fast bowlers who have made a start then picked up injuries. Perhaps they are being pushed too far, too soon?

Barry, I agree with you concerning Darren Lehmann, he has pulled the team together and got them working as a unit. He also did away with the controversial rotation system and selects players on current form, which seems to have paid off.

Peter.

Richtea

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 09:39:04 pm »

Once again we waltz into Aussie land after a three month break and play a couple of knock about games and declare our team ready for the tests.  <*<

Only to come face to face with a team that is months into its domestic season and properly match fit.

After the first days play the outcome looked ominous. ( from a Pom's perspective. )

The results of the first three tests will have put an end to the test careers of some of this England team, now we have to rebuild from the bottom up to prepare for 2015 Ashes series.

Good luck and well done to Australia, take good care of the Ashes, we will want them back in 2015.  :-))
SI VIS PACEM,
PARA BELLUM

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 05:41:23 am »

Our domestic season started with the first Sheffield Shield match, a 4 dayer, on 30th October, so we're not really months into our season.

Peter.

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 09:15:50 am »

The Aussies played good cricket and deserved to win but I don't think you need wholesale slaughter of the current
England team.  They haven't played anywhere near ther abilities and at least one should go - K.P.
has to leave if he cannot control his batting - not every ball can be bashed into the next state, he doesn't seem
to know how to play defensively when it is required.  Cook is completely out of form and Swann needs a rest from bowling.
A couple of youngsters need introducing to the squad.
The Aussie team is very similar to the team from the Summer series just a lot more confidence and a  bit of tweaking.
We should be using the same approach
Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 08:57:33 pm »

Oh dear!

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 09:08:53 pm »

I agree with Geoff, the worst possible thing that the England selectors could do is to make wholesale changes. I repeat what I said in an earlier post, England is a good team but its confidence is down. They have been comprehensively beaten by an Aussie side whose confidence is sky high at the moment, but confidence is like the tides, it comes and goes.

As for Kevin Pietersen >>:-( his biggest critic, Geoff Boycott had this to say
http://sports.ndtv.com/the-ashes-2013-14/news/218379-the-ashes-geoffrey-boycott-berates-selfish-kevin-pietersen and I have to agree with him. KP is too much of a one man band, and appears not to be a team player - plus, he's not even English %)

The Boxing Day test in Melbourne should be interesting, firstly to see if Australia can maintain its intensity, and secondly to see if England can rally to salvage some dignity.

My goodness, Barry, things aren't that bad.....are they??

Peter.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013, 07:54:47 am »

No Peter, but you know the English. Quick to praise, but even quicker to jump up and down complaining. It is only a year ago that we had the best team for half a century, now to listen to the press it is the worst team ever!  <*<

inertia

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2013, 08:28:39 am »

I have to catch my breath when I hear "Sir" Geoffrey Boycott call anyone "selfish" and "not a team player". Boycott??!! There may not be KP in "team" but there sure as hell never was GB either.
DM

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2013, 10:08:02 am »

glad to hear someone else feel the same way about mr Boy cott.
he once snatched my programme out my hand at Fleetwood cricket club.....

when I asked what he was doing he replied he was signing it for me........

told him I didn't want a boring old  f a r t like him ruining a good programme, to which he disappeared into the throng with a chin to his feet, lol {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

It was his testimonial tour prior to the Roses match.........think I upset him. %% %% %% %% %%

and besides.......he was from the wrong side the b***** hills anyway. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2013, 02:35:19 pm »

I would have loved to have seen that Neil... O0 %%

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2013, 09:06:50 pm »

I thought my reference to Boycott might upset the non-Yorkshiremen {-)  I agree, Dave, GB wasn't a team player either, and I thought it rather rich of him to accuse KP of the same thing, even if it is true. It always amazes and annoys me how former players are quick to criticise the current crop, although to be fair, they are often put on the spot by reporters asking for a comment.

Neil, you're lucky you didn't start another War of the Roses %%

Peter.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 23 queries.