Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ashes  (Read 36025 times)

Richtea

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The Ashes
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2013, 11:46:42 pm »

Boycott had his faults as a player both at Yorkshire and at test level.
But I know who I would pick to bat for my life, and it wouldn't be KP.

SI VIS PACEM,
PARA BELLUM

inertia

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2013, 08:20:41 am »

I quite agree. The question isn't concerning Boycott as a batsman. That Roses one-day innings was one of the greatest I've ever seen played by anyone (including Richards, Kallis, KP and any number of Aussie sloggers). It's his obnoxious personality that grates.
DM

Richtea

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2013, 02:58:03 pm »

I quite agree. The question isn't concerning Boycott as a batsman. That Roses one-day innings was one of the greatest I've ever seen played by anyone (including Richards, Kallis, KP and any number of Aussie sloggers). It's his obnoxious personality that grates.
DM

"You can always tell a Yorkshireman, but you can't tell him much"
This saying sums up Boycott down to a tee.
( Don't judge us all the same though )  :-))
SI VIS PACEM,
PARA BELLUM

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2013, 06:02:47 am »

I am looking forward to the Anglican versus Catholic match next year.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25473150
I cannot wait for the Archbishop of Canterbury to face the Pope in full robes.   O0

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2013, 06:18:09 am »

Goodness BrianB6 :o............holy balls & all  {-) ...I will not be watching.......... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2013, 03:47:47 am »

Presumably Sackcloth and Ashes.  {-)

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2013, 06:14:26 am »

now swann has gone as well,soon no one left......tony

inertia

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2013, 09:05:57 am »

Would someone in Australia kindly round up the England team, smack their bottoms and send them home NOW? They are a national embarrassment.
DM

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2013, 11:38:02 pm »

Now, now, Dave, not long ago they were national heroes. They could still win this test, given Australia's tendency to collapse. Our batsmen appeared to be playing 20/20 in the first innings, and England's lower order were even worse.

Peter.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2013, 08:36:25 am »

"Never in the history of sport has so much been thrown away by so few!"--------Footski 2013.

The debacle continues and this time, I do not praise The Australians for playing well, as they were only average. England on the other hand seem to have forgotten all the basics and at this moment are a woeful side. Cook, who is far from the best England captain we have had, is likely to lose his command at the end of all this. Flower too is likely to walk away if he is not pushed, which would be a shame as he has performed miracles with the team.

I worry for the future... <:( <:( <:(

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2013, 10:02:45 pm »

You're quite right Barry, Australia did not play well, but England were pitiful. Sir "Beefy" Botham, who predicted a 5-0 whitewash to England at the start of the tour, was interviewed on TV yesterday, and was scathing in his assessment of England. He said that they may as well follow Graham Swann's lead and all go home. I can just imagine the blasting they are getting in the British press, who are ever ready to criticise local sports people.

I mentioned Australia's 20/20 style of batting in an earlier post, and David Warner is a prime example. He made his name in limited overs cricket before being given a chance in the test arena, where it took him a while to adapt his game. He had done that reasonably well, making some good scores and demonstrating a level of patience not seen in him before. However, in their "wisdom", Cricket Australia allowed him, and a couple of others, to play in the KFC Big Bash League (20/20) between the 3rd and 4th Tests. The result of this stupid decision saw him revert to his backyard cricket style, getting out to poor shots in both innings of the 4th Test. Fortunately for Australia, Chris Rogers and Shane Watson posted big scores to give us a comfortable win. BTW, Rogers' century means Australia's top 6 batsmen in the batting order have all scored centuries this series.

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2013, 10:24:07 pm »

I believe the media mogul machine  <*< has a lot to answer for in the demise of many sports....after all....was Packer not a part of this game?.........

Square leg judge  :police: over the hill judge  :police: post try judge  :police: second net camera :police: starting block judge  :police: ........ %% Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2013, 02:38:49 am »

Packer was only responsible for the limited overs form of the game, although World Series Cricket did impact on test teams for a while.

Those arguing the case for the demise of test cricket should look at the crowd numbers for the Melbourne Ashes test, with over 91000 people on the first day alone, a world record for official attendance at a test match. A total of almost 272,000 people saw the match at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, plus a vast TV audience, so it's fair to say that test cricket is not dead, at least not in Melbourne. It must also be remembered that the series had been won before Melbourne, so that match was virtually a dead rubber.

Peter.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2013, 08:10:54 am »

You only have to see and feel the emotion of it here on a model boat forum, to realise that Test cricket is most certainly alive and well.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2013, 10:23:04 am »

alive & well????  {-)...we are talking the Warner family here..... %)
My 4 1/2 year old grandson & his dad have tickets for Friday the 3rd of January at the SCG.....
Thank goodness his grandfather will still be in Adelaide until Sunday the 5th of January......... O0............Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2013, 05:11:54 pm »

I am looking forward to the Anglican versus Catholic match next year.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25473150
I cannot wait for the Archbishop of Canterbury to face the Pope in full robes.   O0

Aye.. Anglicans with cricket bats... Catholics (well, Irish ones) with hurling sticks. That would be some match  {-)

Declan

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2014, 02:24:44 am »

Oh dear!!!! 5/25  >>:-(
Maybe South Africa can put some life back into the game.  O0

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2014, 07:03:21 am »

England have been absolutely dreadful <*<  Cook 7, Carberry 0, Anderson (night watchman) 7, Bell 2, Pietersen 3, Ballance 18, Bairstow 18, Borthwick 1, Rankin 13. Thank goodness for some resistance from Stokes 47 and Broad 30, two of the bowlers showing the batsmen how it's done. That said, Australia has lost 4 wickets cheaply too, Warner 16, Watson 9, Clarke 6 and Smith 7, although Rogers, currently 73 and Bailey on 20 are establishing a lead that will mean England need to make a record 4th innings score at the SCG to win. (Or so the commentators say).

Peter.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2014, 07:43:28 am »

Absolutely disgraceful performance yet again. The only good thing to come out of this series for England is the discovery of a good all rounder in Ben Stokes. At least he played with some guts.  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2014, 08:31:22 am »

And where does he come from??? {-) %%

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2014, 01:03:07 pm »

Oh dear.....I never thought of that.... <:(

Richtea

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2014, 09:24:36 pm »

Taken from an article on the BBC sport website by
Tom Fordyce;

1.   The aggregate score of all of England's first innings in this series is 969. The aggregate first-innings score of Australia's last five batsmen - its not-batsmen, in other words - is 1,071.
2.   Five times England's top five batsmen have been out for a combined total of fewer than 20 runs.
3.   When England are bowled out sometime in the next day and a half, as they certainly will be, it will be the first time in a five-match Ashes series they have lost all 100 wickets.
If this series were a dog it would have been put down a long time ago. Unfortunately for England, it staggers on to be kicked another day.
End of article.

That shows just how bad this shower of manure that is masquerading as a cricket team is. >:-o >:-o 
SI VIS PACEM,
PARA BELLUM

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2014, 05:03:19 am »

That's all very well, but don't forget that the bulk of this same England team that is now being reviled retained the Ashes in England not too long ago. A few new faces have been introduced in the current game in an effort to give them experience, a good move in my opinion. As has been pointed out by others, a lot of the Australian team are almost to the veteran stage and, while they are going extremely well in this series, they are playing an England team that give the impression they want to be somewhere else. There is absolutely no doubt that England have been completely outplayed, even humiliated, and I think that started in Brisbane when their confidence was undermined by a red hot bowling attack. They never recovered.

Who knows which of the current Aussie crop will contest the 2015 series? Australia should be bringing in new young blood too, and fairly soon, otherwise we will be in the same predicament we were when the likes of Warne, Gilchrist, McGrath etc retired. We have a deep pool of young, talented players who need to be given a chance, and not immediately dropped if they fail at their first, or even second and third attempts.

One thing that has most definitely helped the Aussies in this series is the stability of the team. Past policy has been to rotate players from match to match, supposedly to rest them, but since Darren Lehmann has been in charge he has fielded basically the same team throughout the series. This seems to have created a greater unity within the team, which has shown through on the field.

Peter.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2014, 07:59:09 am »

Very well played to the Aussies. To achieve a 5-0 in the manner in which they did is a remarkable achievement. We can hail every single one of a team who were given little chance a few months ago. An extra special well done must go to Darren Lehman.
As for England, well it has to be back to the drawing board. Cook, while a top batsman keeps showing that he is not the captain England need. He simply has not got what it takes. Some of the old boys, Pieterson and Prior included will probably call it a day now. As for replacements........that does worry me!

inertia

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2014, 12:49:52 pm »

I gather that investment bankers and politicians are no longer vying for top place in the UK Pariahs of the Year list. That said I'm inclined to think that, whereas the summer's Ashes series results flattered the England team, this latest series didn't show the Australians as all-conquering world-class heroes either. Take away the extraordinary batting of Haddin (age 36) and the ferocious pace of Johnson (age 32) and you have a pretty ordinary cast of characters. Harris (34) is injury-prone and Nathan Lyon is little better than a village cricket second-change pie-chucker; quite how he avoided getting truly pasted by KP is something only KP will ever know. Chris Rodgers (36) is marginally less interesting to watch than Geoffrey Boycott and even Captain Clarke only played one decent innings (i.e. one more than Captain Cook), scoring more in his first innings at Brisbane than he managed in total for the other nine.
The people for whom I feel most sorry are those loyal England supporters who flew halfway round the world to watch this sorry debacle. They should all be given refunds by the ECB or at least free entry to all of next summer's home test matches.
Roll on the Six Nations!
DM
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.