Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ashes  (Read 36013 times)

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The Ashes
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2014, 03:21:47 pm »

At least in this game they looked interested and confident. I agree with your choice of keeper. Butler has the potential to be superb. Now all we have to do is teach Stokes to bowl, leg spin, off spin and swing... %%

inertia

« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2014, 07:43:36 pm »

Agreed.
Let's get Bruce French to sharpen up Buttler's keeping skills - like he did with Prior - and you'd have Gilchrist Mk2. Stokes may be likened to the next Flintoff, except he can bat a bit better than Fred.
Bell should open with Cook and have Root and Ballance next. Sorry, KP, but you're not required any more, Go polish your ego and count your money somewhere else. Maybe they'd have you back in RSA? You seem to be able to text the language................but no-one at Trent Bridge has a good word for you that doesn't start with B or F.
Nick Compton was dropped too soon. Class with a pedigree. He needs a good Gooching to and several more chances against lesser enemies.
James Taylor? More or less ditto.
Bowlers? Impressed by Chris Jordan but hugely puzzled by the absence - yet again - of Graham Onions. The less said about Finn the better ("Lurch").
Broad for his aggression and the regular unplayable ball - and the way he doesn't walk - and Brezza 'coz he's a Tyke and won't give up until he's dead beat. Monty is too weird these days and Tredders is a tad too old - whither spin?
I think that's 11. The ECB can chose the rest. (Cheque to me c/o Mayhem).
DM

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2014, 09:36:01 pm »

Finally, some spine shown by England, albeit against effectively a second string Australian team, with several key players "rested". Nevertheless, England showed what it is capable of, and at least there won't be a whitewash in the ODI series.

I'm not sure why you would be impressed by Chris Jordan, Dave, I thought he looked out of his depth, and he was the most expensive of the England attack. Ben Stokes, on the other hand, did look impressive, with 4 wickets, conceding just over 4 runs per over. He is, however, a Kiwi, and in keeping with England's policy of importing foreign players he seems assured of a spot in the team for some time to come.

You're right about Stuart Broad though, he wouldn't walk if all 3 stumps were out of the ground, plus his father is an ICC official to protect him from criticism :o %%

It will be interesting to see if England can maintain the momentum in Hobart. As Monty Panesar said on TV last night, 3-2 looks a lot better than 5-0, but Australia has still won the series, and the Ashes :-))

Peter.

inertia

« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2014, 11:46:56 am »

That's more like it - cruising at 154-3 and then losing in the last over. Shameful.

I shall reserve a very special rotten egg for Ravi Bopara if he has the nerve to come back to England after that shabby performance. He's proved over time that he can't field, bowl or bat up to standard in ODI matches, so how on earth does he keep getting selected? As I was listening to the radio commentary I could almost hear "Sir" Geoffrey saying "My grannie could have hit that with a stick of rhubarb".

I feel sorry for the folk who have spent a lot of money and time going to Oz to watch England. They deserved much, much better than they got.

Good luck to the Aussies for South Africa - you're going to need it, because this sorry excuse for an England side gave you no competition for 95% of the time. Steyn and Co will be an altogether different experience for you.

DM

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2014, 09:18:12 pm »

I agree 100%, Dave, how any side could lose a match from the position England was in defies comprehension. Australia was very ordinary in their innings, but England were dreadful. As I have said several times, South Africa will be the acid test for the Aussies, and playing England was no real preparation for that series.

Peter.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2014, 07:42:26 am »

I am sorry to say that this whole series has shown that both English and Australian cricket is not in a good state. I reckon that India and South Africa will be dominating both sides of the game for some time to come. <:(

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2014, 10:36:26 pm »

You could be right, Barry, although I live in hope that Australia will claw its way back through some of our younger players. Following the series win over England we have gone to the top of the ODI rankings, but I don't know how long that will last {:-{

Peter.

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2014, 03:01:57 pm »

A good bit of cricketing news for England - at last. The women's cricket team take an unbeatable lead and will retain the 20 Ashes! - well done girls.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/womens/

inertia

« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2014, 03:46:25 pm »

A good bit of cricketing news for England - at last. The women's cricket team take an unbeatable lead and will retain the 20 Ashes! - well done girls.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/womens/
I second that. Maybe they could play the remaining mens' T20 matches and spare the present England team any further humiliation. Oh and Ravi - I'll save that special egg for another day. Seven sixes was mighty impressive; shame you left it too late. And where was Stokes, for goodness sake?? Some things I shall never understand.
DM

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2014, 09:43:48 pm »

Nice to see that you've given Ravi a reprieve, Dave, he earned it with last night's effort. Australia have a poor record in International T20 matches but, despite England's best efforts were able to post a win in this series. There's still 2 matches to go, though.

Peter.

inertia

« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2014, 12:45:46 pm »

Thank the Lord that's over.

I see Andy Flower fell on his sword but now the clown Giles is actually the bookies' favourite to succeed him. If past history has anything to do with it then the ECB will probably hire him - given that the teams under Giles actually contrived somehow to win one match out of their eight played. Flower hasn't helped by saying that the reason he is standing down is to allow the resumption of the system whereby one coach looks after the whole sorry mess of them. That being the case then the cricket establishment who appointed Giles will have to justify not only not 'promoting' him but firing him from his present job. Good luck with that. Painted into a corner, I think.

There are any number of better candidates for the job but whoever gets it will have to deal quickly with the enormous ego that is Kevin Pietersen, whom Giles has recently described as 'a million pound asset'. First three letters were spot on!

Off to pack the rotten eggs and buy a ticket to Heathrow for tomorrow morning.

DM

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2014, 09:23:37 pm »

I think Heathrow security may have been reading this thread, Dave, and they may well be waiting for you with sniffer dogs. Rotten eggs would be no challenge for a dog :-)

Peter.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2014, 09:32:24 pm »

An English father goes into his daughter's bedroom and sees a letter addressed to "Mummy and Daddy" on the bed. With a heavy heart he opens it and reads:    Dearest Mummy & Daddy,      It is with great regret and sorrow that I'm telling you that I've eloped with my new boyfriend. I've found real love and he is so nice - especially with all his piercings, scars, tattoos and his big American motorcycle.   But it's not only that, I'm pregnant and Ahmed said that we will be very happy in his caravan in the bush. He wants to have many more children with me and that's one of my dreams, too. I've learned that marijuana does not hurt anyone and we'll be growing it only for us and Ahmed's friends. They're the ones providing us with all the cocaine and ecstasy we could ever want. In the meantime, we'll pray for science to find a cure for AIDS so Ahmed can get better. He really deserves it.   Don't worry about money. Ahmed has arranged for me to be in films that his friends Leroy and Jahmal make in their basement. Apparently I can earn £200 per scene, and I get a £200 bonus if there are more than 3 men in the scene and an extra £100 for the sheep.   Don't worry, Mummy, now that I'm 15 I know how to take care of myself. Someday we'll visit you and Daddy so that you can meet your grandchildren.     Your loving daughter,     Sarah

P.S. Daddy, it's not true - I'm watching television with Jessica and her parents next door.    I just wanted to show you that there really are far worse things in life than England losing The Ashes.     

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2014, 10:48:47 pm »

A little boy said to his mother last night......"mum......I like cricket  %) if they want me....I will go to Africa to help our cricket team"

.....the words of my 4 1/2 YO grandson knowing that he had played @ the SCG a few weeks back.......  {-) .....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

inertia

« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2014, 11:01:04 pm »

I think Heathrow security may have been reading this thread, Dave, and they may well be waiting for you with sniffer dogs. Rotten eggs would be no challenge for a dog :-)
Peter.
I rang ahead to warn them. They are holding some extra eggs for me.
DM

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2014, 05:16:01 am »

I rang ahead to warn them. They are holding some extra eggs for me.
DM

{-) {-)

Peter.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2014, 07:49:41 am »

I am so glad that is all over!!! I have spent so much I this winter embarrassed and angry. <*<

They are sure to give Giles the coaches job as he will not rock the boat. Other, much better candidates undoubtedly would. I fear for our future in Test cricket. {:-{

Richtea

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2014, 12:51:56 am »

I am so glad that is all over!!! I have spent so much I this winter embarrassed and angry. <*<

They are sure to give Giles the coaches job as he will not rock the boat. Other, much better candidates undoubtedly would. I fear for our future in Test cricket. {:-{

I fear for our cricketing future full stop.  :((
At the end of last summer I said that England's win only papered over the cracks that were evident to any one who has watched test cricket for more than one series.

The bias towards one day or 20/20 cricket does not help any player prepare for the mental and physical grind that is the test cricket arena.

Some times I wonder how the players of my youth ( 1960 /70 era )
managed to play in a one division championship, each team played every other team twice and the only games missed were due to being picked for the national teams or if they were injured.

Today's players play very few championship games due to them being "rested" by the ECB, poor mites  {-)
and they are supposedly fitter and stronger than all the previous generations of players   {:-{ %%  ( I still can't work that one out, no matter how hard I try )
SI VIS PACEM,
PARA BELLUM

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2014, 10:56:42 pm »

Maybe England can feel not quite so bad.
Australia first innings 397
South Africa first innings 206
Australia second innings 3 for 288

Helps make up for our performances in Sochi, which for some reason we have heard almost nothing about on the news.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2014, 03:14:06 am »

An amazing performance by Australia, who have embarrassed the South Africans in this match, according to SA Captain, AB De Villiers. Maybe the doubters, and I was one, will now acknowledge that the current Aussie team is pretty good after all. We annihilated a very poor England, and I thought that SA would be a totally different prospect, but our boys have carried on as they did against England, making the No1 Test nation look second rate - so far.

Peter.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2014, 08:05:20 am »

I think I may have to reassess my rating of this Australian side. They really are doing the business. As for Mitchell Johnson. He is the most improved cricketer I can remember. We used to laugh when he was picked........not anymore!

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2014, 11:27:45 am »

I agree, Barry. Johnson went through a period where he didn't know whether he was coming or going, one day he was red hot, the next, rubbish. At one stage his mother was giving stories to the press about his personal life which caused him no end of embarrassment. Finally, someone from cricket Australia took him in hand and set him on the right track - he no longer has anything to do with his mother who was only after the publicity for herself. He has grown as a person, and most definitely as a cricketer, as his recent performances show, and is now arguably the best fast bowler in the game. I believe Dennis Lillee has also had a hand in his improvement, and with Craig McDermott as the Aussie bowling coach his "re-birth" has been completed.

As I write, South Africa are 3 for 78, needing another 408 to win, although Hashim Amla and AB De Villiers are still there. Johnson has 9 wickets for the match.

Peter.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2014, 09:27:35 pm »

Australia have just handed South Africa, the number one ranked test team, its worst home thrashing in almost 60 years. They won by 281 runs with Mitchell Johnson taking a career best 12-127. SA could only manage 200 in its second innings following 206 in their first dig. Australia scored 397 and 3-288 declared to crush SA completely. Maybe now this Aussie team will be taken seriously.

Peter.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2014, 07:33:22 am »

The rest of the world should really be worried. The Australians are fast developing into a very, very good team!

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2015, 03:01:32 pm »

What a difference a few months can make!  %% %%

At 130 for 6, chasing 412 it is looking bleak for this Australian team. Outplayed in every department by an England team written off before the start, including by me.....

A superb performance by England.... :-))
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.