Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ashes  (Read 36024 times)

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The Ashes
« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2015, 03:43:39 pm »

A few changes to cricket laws.  Watson's law.  Look surprised when the ball hits you on the pads demand a review even when it's pointless then trudge off out shaking your head.  Starcs law.  Hold a finger to your lips for no reason to show hiw easy youy think it is when you bowl someone on the first day then look like a prat for the next three days.  Warne law.  Boast how bād the other team is and how good your team is then avoid the press. 
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2015, 07:41:47 pm »

{-) {-) %%

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2015, 10:51:55 pm »

One thing I never do is underestimate England at home, although a lot of people who know much more about cricket than me, did just that. As Footski said, Australia were outplayed in every department, and were comprehensively beaten. It's going to take a mighty effort to turn that performance around for Lord's. I am at a complete loss as to why the Aussie selectors opted for Shane Watson, at his best he's a champion, but we haven't seen his best for a long time now, even when he's playing well he picks up an injury. I had to laugh at former cricketer, Ed Cowan on TV this morning when he said that Watson needs to do some batting in the nets - without his pads, and hit the ball with his bat :}

Well played England :-))

Peter.

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2015, 12:15:11 am »

Had to laugh at a lot of things.  Nathan Lyon saying at the start of the day records are there to be broken and we will break the records.  Yes England might lose the ashes as there are still many tests to go but its very sweet to shove the boasts of MGrath and Warne prior to the start of the ashes at how easy it was going to be right back to them.  I wouldn't make many predictions about the final outcome but one prediction I might make is:

Watson LBW
Watson LBW
Watson LBW
Watson LBW
Watson LBW
Watson LBW
Watson LBW
Watson LBW

inertia

« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2015, 08:38:43 am »

Mike Vaughan said that the cricket laws should change to rename the verdict "Leg Before Watson". I wonder what the outcome might have been had Old Father Haddin not dropped Joe Root on nought in the first innings? Great result, though.
DM

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2015, 01:12:07 pm »

There are always ifs, buts and maybes, Dave, the simple fact is that Haddin dropped Root, and England won easily, mainly because they played better than Australia.

Peter.

inertia

« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2015, 01:23:40 pm »

Yep - you're right there. Makes a nice change for us Poms! No doubt Warne will soon be bragging that England couldn't have done it without an Aussie coach.
The only thing worse than a gobsh*te is a has-been who won't recognise the fact - and Warne is both.
DM

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2015, 02:48:33 pm »

There are always ifs, buts and maybes, Dave, the simple fact is that Haddin dropped Root, and England won easily, mainly because they played better than Australia.

Peter.

True Peter, and very pleasantly surprised I am too. That said, I don't think this Aussie team is as good as we thought. Age is beginning to tell on Hadin and Watson. Clarke just simply look like the same player I remember and as for the bowling attack, well on English pitches they really do look ordinary.....

I reckon the Aussies will fight back and we could be in for a cracking series. Let's all enjoy it, win or lose...

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2015, 11:05:21 pm »

Dave, Warne was a loud mouth when he was playing and he's only become worse, I can't stand him. I just wish former players would keep their opinions to themselves sometimes, although I recognise that the press are, in many cases, at fault, looking for a printable quote.

Barry, there's no doubt that the home team has a definite advantage over tourists, where ever matches are played, as conditions vary greatly from country to country. The age of some of the players is certainly a factor, but selectors have traditionally been reluctant to blood new players in Ashes series. I don't believe that the Aussie attack is as bad as it looked in Cardiff, but we are missing the experience of Ryan Harris. The fact that Australia beat the West Indies convincingly (not that that's too hard to do these days) may have given them unfounded confidence against an England team out to redeem itself after some poor recent performances. The match at Lord's may be a true indicator of where the teams stand relative to each other, as Australia's record at that ground has been good - except for last time when England won by 347 runs {:-{

Peter.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2015, 07:16:56 am »

Whatever happens Peter, we can wait for Lords..... :-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2015, 01:42:56 am »

I don't see too many comments from England supporters now :}  It seems that Australia were only kidding in the first test and are now showing England how to play %)

Peter.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2015, 06:21:42 am »

No arguments from me on that Peter. Watson and Haddin out, as predicted by me, albeit Haddin for personal reasons, but his replacement looks a good player. Still not happy with that Aussie attack. England's top order simply played badly. The only player who got a really good ball was Bell. I think the toss was very important.
I just hope our batsmen knuckle down and make the victory difficult for Australia.... %)

inertia

« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2015, 08:55:28 am »

I think the toss was very important.

That's the risk you take as the home side when you contrive to have a flat, lifeless pitch prepared to blunt the opposition's pace attack - it works both ways. At least England have got out of their old habit of a middle-order collapse; it happens at the top now! Full marks to the Aussies for their proper Test match batting, but like Barry I'm not convinced about their bowling attack. Watching Mitchell Johnson's horrible round-arm, chest-on action makes me wince (to think he's been coached by Denis Lillee!) and he still bowls at least one bad ball every over.

inertia

« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2015, 05:15:33 pm »

Easy to explain this result, which is what makes the result of the Cardiff Test so mystifying. No excuses this time, though. England were dismal - back to their old ways. Australia were rampant - back to theirs. I just hope I don't see or hear Shane Warne this week, no doubt crowing about the victory as if he'd been responsible for it.
DM

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2015, 06:05:08 pm »

I totally agree, but credit where it is due, and I don't mean Shane Warne. Well played Australia. They really do have the upper hand now.... <*<

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: July 19, 2015, 11:50:14 pm »

Yes guys....but we did have a Warner in the team..... :-))

This is my grandson [nee Warner] at the SCG....you can see his hero's name in the background.....

Even at 7 years of age ...he said he wants to play for Australia O0.........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: July 20, 2015, 01:39:07 am »

Forgive me if I appear to be gloating, but that was an absolute smashing for England, 405 runs and a day to spare :o . If I were the England coach I'd be giving Ben Stokes a boot up the you-know-where for that schoolboy run out. One of the basics when running between wickets is to keep your bat grounded as you near the crease, Stokes appeared to be completely disinterested, as if he was out for a gentle jog.

I don't agree with Barry and Dave about the Aussie attack, it may not be the best we've ever had, but it's still a very well balanced unit, more than capable of taking wickets. Yes, the England batting was awful, but credit has to be given to the bowlers for taking advantage of an amateurish performance by the England batsmen.

The ease of the win will be a massive boost to Australia, whereas England will need to put it behind them and focus on Edgebaston.

Peter.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: July 30, 2015, 12:50:25 am »

How can you predict cricket? {:-{  At Lord's, Australia completely dominated England in every aspect of the game, yet at Edgbaston they were made to look like amateurs by a rampant Jimmy Anderson and friends. The bowling was inspired, but the batting was deplorable. I'm just glad I'm not a gambler and had money on the Aussies, if they were race horses there would be a stewards' inquiry. I have no idea what will happen next.

Peter.

inertia

« Reply #118 on: July 30, 2015, 08:46:44 am »

If the Pakistani team was involved there would already be cried of "Fixed!!" in the tabloid press. The only things which have been consistent are the woeful batting of Michael Clarke and Adam Lyth, and the no-risk approach of Chris Rogers. Someone on the TMS website has nominated the groundsman as Man of the Match for producing the first decent wicket of the series!
Today will be very interesting.
DM

inertia

« Reply #119 on: July 30, 2015, 06:28:47 pm »

As I write this, Australia are 153-7 in their second innings. England need to take three more wickets and then make up the difference in scores (which is currently 8 runs) with three days' play left.
I shall therefore ring Corals and put twenty quid on an Aussie win.................
Unbelievable stuff!
DM

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2015, 12:36:38 am »

If Michael Clarke wasn't the captain he would have been dropped long ago, his recent batting form has been very poor. Chris Rogers has been solid, but he's 37 years old on his first ashes tour - talk about a late maturer. Australia has been referred to in the press as Dad's Army, with good reason, whereas England's team is relatively young, a good sign for the future. I can't see how Australia can get out of this one, unless it pours rain for the next two days but, continuing the theme, maybe Australia will humiliate England at Trent Bridge %)  It's a very bizarre series so far.

Peter.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2015, 05:09:15 pm »

Bizarre is the word Peter. I am away in Ireland on holiday so have not seen a ball bowled. An amazing test match. 2-1 to the good guys, but a long way to go.......

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2015, 05:14:05 pm »

Forgive me if I appear to be gloating, but that was an absolute smashing for England, 405 runs and a day to spare :o .

Of course, Peter! You're forgiven!   :} :} :} :} :}

8 Wickets and 3 days to spare!
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

inertia

« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2015, 08:23:08 pm »

It's a good job I didn't make that call to Coral's, but I wouldn't bet either way on the next one. Too close to call.
Shame they've had to kill proper Test cricket to get paying customers (aka TV sponsorship), but I guess that's the way things are.
When people are enjoined to ring the BBC to vote on "contestants" in cookery shows then I think I'm better off with a book or the radio.
DM

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2015, 08:40:00 pm »

It's a pretty bizarre series.  Topsy turvy with no real consistency of form from either side.  Who knows how the next two tests could go.  Certainly the bookies must be scratching their heads.  Despite it being a heavy loss for Australia the difference was really only down to England having only one or two better minor partnerships. The only consistent thing is that as we all know , and he comntinues to show it, David Warners middle names aren't 'sportsmanlike', 'nice chap', 'decent guy' or 'modesty'.  Perhaps he is different with his family but he really is an objectionable piece of work.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.