Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ashes  (Read 36020 times)

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The Ashes
« Reply #150 on: August 07, 2015, 05:08:33 pm »

Best joke I've heard so far.  The Aussie bobsled team are consulting with Michael Clarke to get advice on how to go downhill so fast.

Best 'I wish I'd kept my big mouth shut' moment....replays of a certain modest Aussie cricketers pre series interview...'They (England) won't even get anywhere close to us. 
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

html

• Full Mayhemer
  • Gipping Valley Model Boat Club
« Reply #151 on: August 07, 2015, 09:18:29 pm »

This was sent to me by my cousin on Kangaroo Island SA
I do not suffer insanity, I quite like it!

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: August 08, 2015, 06:41:08 pm »

Those poor Devil's , will they be able to get past Border Security :police:  when they return home  <*< ?
Their bat's will surely be confiscated as contaminated wood , with all the 'snick's' they've endured . . .
 I think they should be offered ASYLUM here . . . . O0 
Bill

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: August 08, 2015, 08:53:42 pm »

A wonderful victory against all the odds for England.  %%

Now I know it is against ALL the rules to feel sorry for the Aussies, but there is one exception. Saddened to hear Michael Clarke is calling it a day. A great cricketer and ambassador of the game. He will be missed..

inertia

« Reply #154 on: August 08, 2015, 11:21:33 pm »

Where is Shane Warne now? Probably sharpening his pencil to be as hard on Michael Clarke as he was on the England team until they won at Cardiff et seq. I hope he had a very large bet on a 5:1 whitewash, but I imagine he'd laid it off after the first Test.
DM

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: August 09, 2015, 03:13:02 am »

I think that there's a lot of players, past and present, as well as commentators, with large amounts of egg on their faces. For anyone to suggest that Australia would flog England, at home, was ridiculous and arrogant. I thought we had a good chance but, as I said in an earlier post, England are always difficult on English pitches, and I was far from confident. What I didn't expect, however, was the manner in which Australia capitulated, it was downright embarrassing.

I agree with Barry concerning Michael Clarke, he was the world's top ranking batsman, terrorising the attacks of test playing nations, but he's badly out of form as well as confidence. It's a shame he had to go out on such a low. I'm sure there will be big changes in personnel for the next series we are involved in, hopefully some of the promising young players we have will be given a chance.

England is a young side, and should have a bright future in front of it for some years to come.

Well played England, you were by far the better side, and thoroughly deserved  winners O0

Peter.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: August 09, 2015, 07:06:41 am »

Gracious words Peter. In the cricketing world of the Ashes, all Test matches simply lead up to the big one, the battle between two great, mostly friendly countries. Long may it last. I am already looking forward to the next encounter.

littoralcombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2015, 12:08:11 pm »

Great Ambassador???? "Get Ready for a ****ING BROKEN ARM!"
Without a doubt, a fantastic Cricketer from a skills point of view, but his lack of sportsmanship will, unfortunately define him around the world, and that is a great shame.
 >>:-(
A wonderful victory against all the odds for England.  %%

Now I know it is against ALL the rules to feel sorry for the Aussies, but there is one exception. Saddened to hear Michael Clarke is calling it a day. A great cricketer and ambassador of the game. He will be missed..

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: August 09, 2015, 01:38:07 pm »

To be fair to Clarke whilst it's not defendable, he is sadly  nowhere near as unsporting or objectionable as the likes of Warner or Smith.  These two seem to be the main rabble rousers, amongst others.  Warner comes across as the lowest form of swamp life ever to walk onto a sporting pitch.  His roll call is neverending.  Mouthing at rohit 'speak english' and I'm sorry but despite his cries of it not being racist it clearly was.  Hitting Joe Root which despite his claims of provocation was clearly intended as a pre series softner on the then new kid.  Failing to appaud or even acknowledge centuries.  Telling Jonathan Trott he was weak for having a mental health issue, both on the field and to the press..  These are just a few examples and the list is endless. Banter, sledging, heat of the moment is part of the modern game like it or not, and I don't, and all teams do it now but Warner should have been booted out of international cricket a long time ago. Smith well not as bad but is there a more big headed arrogant braggard?

inertia

« Reply #159 on: August 09, 2015, 02:52:01 pm »

but is there a more big headed arrogant braggard?
Well.................you could start with a certain leg-break bowler of recent years, who now writes opinionated and offensive nonsense in several Australian newspapers and advertises on-line gambling over here. I hope he had a large amount bet on a 5-0 Ashes result. Then there's the venerable (aka old has-been) ex-Yorkshire and England opening batsman who thinks that to make a point you have to keep repeating it over and over again, as if his listeners are deaf, stupid or both. And has "Sir" Geoffrey ever been known to utter a sentence which didn't include "I", "Me" or "My"? 
I always felt that Merv Hughes and David Boon were the hardest and fiercest proponents of sledging, but they could also take it when it came back at them. With Clarke, Warner, Smith and Haddin you don't get that impression at all. Let's hope that the thrashing they were given last Thursday morning will chasten them for the future - or at least the few that survive the tour with their place in the team intact. Nobody really likes a bully.
DM

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #160 on: August 09, 2015, 03:20:53 pm »

Well with ' sir' Geoff it was always about 'ME'.  Hughes and Boon were hard but took it as you say.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: August 09, 2015, 06:24:11 pm »

There are a raft of feelings associated with this series; A warm glow after Cardiff, that sinking feeling after Lord's, Edgebaston, a growing pride and Trentbridge, Elation.
For all this what sticks with me is outrage at Australia refusing to have a beer with the England team after Cardiff.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #162 on: August 10, 2015, 05:02:11 am »

I agree, TailUK, that's indefensible. It would never have happened in the "old days", especially not in Boon and Hughes' time, they'd have had the first round on the bar before the last batsmen had their pads off O0

Mike, while I agree wholeheartedly with you about Warner, I've never thought of Steve Smith as being particularly big headed or arrogant, at least, not from what I've seen or heard of him. He's being tipped in the press as the next Aussie captain, but we will have to wait and see. As for Clarke's so-called "unsportsmanlike behaviour", I believe that just about any of the top teams would have someone who could be similarly accused.

Dave, I think I've made my feelings about Mr Warne quite clear in previous posts, but if I said what I really thought I'd be leaving myself open to a libel suit >>:-(

Peter.

inertia

« Reply #163 on: August 10, 2015, 09:01:18 am »

Dave, I think I've made my feelings about Mr Warne quite clear in previous posts, but if I said what I really thought I'd be leaving myself open to a libel suit >>:-(
Peter.
Ah - but first and foremost it has to be demonstrably untrue! I'm reminded of the prop forward who was having a hard time with a certain referee. The guy seemed to blow for an offence every time our man touched the ball. Eventually things came to a head and he squared up eyeball to eyeball with the ref.
"What would you do if I called you a $£**&^%?"
"I'd send you off straight away"
"What would you do if I just thought it"
"There's no offence in thinking it"
"Right! I think you're a $£**&^%!"   ;D

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: August 10, 2015, 05:29:19 pm »

I've never thought of Steve Smith as being particularly big headed or arrogant, at least, not from what I've seen or heard of him.

Peter.

He gave a whole series of interviews about how nice it was going to be to win in 'Englands backyard' and kept repeating that England won't even get close to Australia.  The tone of the interview was done in a very smug goading arrogant manner . And I did agree that Clarke is or was no better or worse than many other cricketers or captains these days.  Sad indictment of how the game is played.  Everyone, regardless of nationality, does now seem to follow the Steve Waugh philosophy of 'mental disintegration'. Sadly some take it to extremes of personal nastiness.

littoralcombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: August 14, 2015, 10:20:59 pm »

Looks like the 'Rabble Rousers' >>:-( <*< are in favour with CA. %% This new era will be interesting to say the least.
To be fair to Clarke whilst it's not defendable, he is sadly  nowhere near as unsporting or objectionable as the likes of Warner or Smith.  These two seem to be the main rabble rousers, amongst others.  Warner comes across as the lowest form of swamp life ever to walk onto a sporting pitch.  His roll call is neverending.  Mouthing at rohit 'speak english' and I'm sorry but despite his cries of it not being racist it clearly was.  Hitting Joe Root which despite his claims of provocation was clearly intended as a pre series softner on the then new kid.  Failing to appaud or even acknowledge centuries.  Telling Jonathan Trott he was weak for having a mental health issue, both on the field and to the press..  These are just a few examples and the list is endless. Banter, sledging, heat of the moment is part of the modern game like it or not, and I don't, and all teams do it now but Warner should have been booted out of international cricket a long time ago. Smith well not as bad but is there a more big headed arrogant braggard?

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: August 15, 2015, 01:21:20 am »

While I expected Michael Clarke to be named as captain, I have to say I'm astounded that David Warner has been given the vice-captaincy. My only comment would be - I hope he gets his act together and behaves as the position demands, not as he has in the past <*<

Peter.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: August 15, 2015, 07:02:31 am »

I thought the Australian Cricket Board had finally lost all their senses at first. How a man with his reputation for lack of personal discipline can be made vice captain of his country is beyond me. That said, it may just calm him down a little and if he respects the role given him, it just may be a very shrewd move. Time will tell..

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: August 18, 2015, 01:55:13 am »

Could this be true

Gunna build those other boats one day.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #169 on: August 18, 2015, 04:24:17 am »

Only if the England team had suffered a similar fate {-)

Peter.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #170 on: August 22, 2015, 08:01:22 am »

Well another match could end inside three days, this time to an Australian win, a very odd series.

Sadly, we have lost today one of the true greats of Australian cricket in the passing of Arthur Morris. One of the "Invincibles" May he rest in peace...

littoralcombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #171 on: August 22, 2015, 03:12:45 pm »

Vale Arthur Morris indeed, a Great Man, from a Great Game.

littoralcombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #172 on: August 22, 2015, 03:21:08 pm »

How sad to see Shane Watson relegated to 'Drinks Carrier' during the last Ashes Test. This is, in all likelihood his Swansong, so wouldn't it have been far more fitting for him to have been selected, rather than to have been humiliated in this way. He has, like Michael Clarke, served Australia well, but the contrast in treatment is so disrespectful. I have always admired his conduct on the pitch, as well as his considerable talent. So different to that of Messrs Smith, Warner & Johnson.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: August 25, 2015, 04:25:52 am »

Without a doubt this is the most bizarre Ashes series I can remember, with none of the matches going the full 5 days, and all the matches won by wide margins. One would have to wonder at the pitches provided, although having said that, both teams had to play on the same pitch in each game. England were worthy winners, but I believe that Australia showed enough to give us cause for optimism in the future. Some selections were puzzling, to say the least, but that doesn't alter the fact that we were outplayed in 3 of the games. There's always next time :-)

Peter.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #174 on: August 25, 2015, 07:00:44 am »

Always good battles in England, but not going to be easy in Australia next time.
Now as for the one dayers.........England management have been saying that they are going to prioritise one day cricket. In which case I do not understand the decisions to rest Broad, Anderson and Root! Our best three Ashes players..... <*<
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.