Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re Detail of Gun turrets  (Read 1903 times)

Hmshood

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re Detail of Gun turrets
« on: December 13, 2013, 03:03:05 pm »

I was a little vague yesterday regarding detail of gun turrets, my question directly related to simulation of rivets. I have seen an article around this subject but for the life of me I cannot remember where. There was some ideas to simulate small rivets. Any ideas would be welcome.
Regards {:-{
Vic
I love warships bring back the big guns

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Re Detail of Gun turrets
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 04:31:58 pm »

A couple of popular methods are
1) Get some small round headed pins or nails,  drill a small hole and pop in the pin.  The same effect can be achieved with pre moulded rivet heads (of the kind sold to the tank modellers) and glue individual rivets in place.
2) Use very thin plastic and emboss the rivet into the plastic either individually or using a "Pounce" wheel (used by dress makers to space stitches evenly).  I made one for my self using an old clock gear wheel. 

Have a look at this; http://www.largescaleplanes.com/tips/RatoMarczak/riveting_1/riveting_1.php
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Hmshood

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 07:29:46 pm »

Hi,
These are certainly options I did not consider, I will investigate the model Tank pins to see whats what with them. I have been experimenting buy placing tiny dots of glue (white PVA) on a strip of wood using a cocktail stick and whilst looking a bit strange at first they appeared really lifelike when sprayed with the usual grey spray paint. I will consider both of these, the Tank option would probably look really professional whereas the glue solution looks quite good and is very simple.
Regards and thanks for the suggestions will let you know which one I actually go with
Vic %%

tghsmith

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 07:37:43 pm »

decal rivets   http://www.archertransfers.com/   other brands out there the model railroad guys love them...

Hmshood

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 07:45:30 pm »

Thanks this is now becoming a challenge to know which style to adopt. I really appreciate the suggestions and will gey a strip and try them out.
Regards
Vic %%
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.