Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Other Technical Questions...

Prop wash & steering

(1/4) > >>

J.beazley:
Need help with this one.
Am i right in thinking that 1 prop with 2 rudders each either side of the prop set back a little would be good for turning ??? what im stuck on is would the wash from the prop deflect off the inside rudder forcing the power to left or right thus turning the boat at the same time.

Not sure if the picture helps

Im in 2 minds on going twin screw/twin rudder or single screw/twin rudder.

Jay

justboatonic:
You'll have better steerage (cant spell manoverability!) with twin props provided you fit a mixer to slow the inner prop in a turn. This is more expensive as you need to buy two motors, two ESC's and a mixer.

DickyD:

--- Quote from: J.beazley on June 20, 2007, 10:05:42 pm ---Need help with this one.
Am i right in thinking that 1 prop with 2 rudders each either side of the prop set back a little would be good for turning ??? what im stuck on is would the wash from the prop deflect off the inside rudder forcing the power to left or right thus turning the boat at the same time.

Jay

--- End quote ---
I hope it works Jay. Thats what the PT 15 has got.

BobF:
Hi JB

The biggest problem when the rudder is not directly in line with center of the prop will be at slow speeds, and will depend on how far off centre they are. The less flow you get from the prop over the rudder, the less steering, as it will rely on water speed over the rudder blades.

Bob

tobyker:
Wouldn't you do better with a nozzle around the prop to direct the thrust, and then either swivel the whole thing, or fit a single rudder to the back of the nozzle? I know one of these is a Kort nozzle but I'm not sure which one. I think two rudders aft of the prop will just add drag - I reckon you'd be better off with one balanced rudder on the centre line.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version