Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Brush Painting.  (Read 7299 times)

IanLloyd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
Brush Painting.
« on: December 18, 2013, 08:25:36 am »

Good morning everyone, please can you give some advice.

I am about to start re-painting the hull of my DMI Admiral and want to brush paint it, what I would like to know is any recommendations for the paint to use. I really need something that does not show brush marks and is easy to apply. Also something that covers well. Do you use normal household paints or is there something special. I dont need anything too exotic but maybe a polyeurethane? something that will stand up to a few knocks.

All advice will be welcome.

Thank you.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Brush Painting.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 10:04:24 am »

Almost more than the paint, good brushes, well looked after are at the top of the list.  Avoid "Art and Craft" paints.  These are intended for giving artistic texture, exactly the opposite to what we tend to go for. 
Over the years, I have used Humbrol with very satisfactory results, BUT a few years ago they moved production to the far east, and the good reputation for quality that they had has been severely dented (complaints of lack of pigment/wrong colours/uncertain drying/uncertain finish).  They have recently moved production back, no telling if quality will improve, or how long it will take before the new production starts appearing.  It doesn't take long to ruin a good reputation, it takes a long time to get it back.
Names to look our for are Revell, Tamiya, Floquil, Precision Paints and several others.  Oil based enamels are tough enough, acrylics generally need a coat of clear as protection.
Oil based household enamel?  Some good, some not, these days manufacturers change the formulations seemingly by the week.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 10:10:08 am »

Firstly you wouldn't consider spraying ( Halfords car paints)after a good rub done. You also have to know what paint has been used on the model as some paints don't go well with others. Me I am going back to the Humbrol  brand as I don't like acrylic paints. The finish on the model is up to the preparation you do.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 10:20:55 am »

Nowt like a good tin of "Valspar"

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 04:50:39 pm »

Nowt like a good tin of "Valspar"

Regards  Ian.
Oriental Humbrol really is nowt like a good tin of Valspar.  Mind, most models don't need to stand up to having boiling water pour on them.  I used to like Woolworths own brand (Household?) - another lost blast from the past.

wicker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 04:58:12 pm »

Woolworths paint was excellent we use it on small sea-going fishing boats---hard wearing

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 05:59:14 pm »

The only problem I can see with (exterior) household paint is that it might leave a rather thick layer, especially the non-drip stuff.
Not a problem if there isn't any detail to lose, but if you have rivets or the like you might want to stay with model or car paints.

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 06:46:51 pm »

I have been told that a small roller does a very good job,i painted a hull with emulsion tester pots then sprayed with car clear cote .worked ok   tony

IanLloyd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 09:44:04 am »

Will have a look and see if I can find some Valspar then. Dont really like spray painting as have a very small shed and the spray gets everywhere. Need a really nice day to be able to do it outside and to be honest, the boats I have built have not had great amounts of hull detail to pick out so brush painting (which is a little thicker than spray) is fine. I quite like brush painting anyway, gives me a greater sense of achievement when I get a good finish. Have been using Japlac but cant seem to get it anywhere anymore so looking for an alternative.

Our local budget store has some Humbrol but looks pretty old so will be leaving it there! Not seen any elsewhere locally.

Thanks for the help though.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 10:45:03 am »

Our local budget store has some Humbrol but looks pretty old so will be leaving it there! Not seen any elsewhere locally.
That might just be from the days before they dumped the idea of quality control.

IanLloyd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 10:56:10 am »

It might well be....how does one tell? Is there a cut off date? Might just have to but some and see I suppose.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 11:32:45 am »

I am using an old Hunbrol 22 white at the mo. It has the Margate address on it and it is great just like the original tinlets use to be. I hunt eBay for really old Humbrols . Some body said something about Humbrol in China. I lot of U.K. companies have returned here because of quality  and the hike in wages over there.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 12:45:37 pm »

Funnily a similar question was posted on a boating forum I frequent recently, and the consensus there was to use a 2 pack epoxy paint, rollered on and laid off using a brush, the resulting finish was a high gloss, but I guess that the stuff probably doesn't come in small size tins.
many years ago I used a 2 part epoxy paint on equipment going out onto a pipeline and the finish was very good despite applying it by brush, plus hard wearing.
Grendel

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 01:18:37 pm »

I have used the 'new' Humbrol Satin White recently, very good brushed on, two coats and you couldn't see any sign of the resin fitting colour underneath. My old Satin White was wishy washy, too glossy etc. So give the new UK Humbrols a try. Identified by a pale blue wavy line around the tin and a 'made in the uk' sign alongside the union flag...God Save The Queen :-)
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

IanLloyd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 03:36:54 pm »

OK have been back and purchased two 50ml tins of Humbrol Gloss White to try. Will see what it is like. Will also go down to B&Q and look at the Valspar range at the weekend.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 03:52:26 pm »

So give the new UK Humbrols a try. Identified by a pale blue wavy line around the tin and a 'made in the uk' sign alongside the union flag...God Save The Queen :-)

I try em as sometimes its hard on the ebay to verify  it is the old Humbrol. I'll look for the new tinlets and try em

Memories kicked in. I use to service the office equipment at Hornby factory in Margate. A big boy in a big toy shop

IanLloyd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 11:37:56 am »

Tried the Humbrol last night. Very thick, covers very well though. Looks OK this morning, no brush marks apparent so guess thats a result. Will rub down over the weekend and give it another coat, maybe thin it down a bit first and do several coats.

Was actually quite pleasant to brush on, seemed to lose its brush marks quite quickly. Well we live in hope that it is going to be good in the end. Will have to go back and buy some of the other colours while there is still some in the shop.

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 11:58:59 am »

I'd leave it a bit longer than that, at least a week at room temperature for enamel - it takes longer to fully dry than you might think.

Colin

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 12:00:50 pm »

Hi mate
Keep us posted  with your paint job. Is it the Humbrol enamel  paint you are using ?

IanLloyd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 01:07:53 pm »

OK will leave it longer, have plenty of other jobs to do so no problem.

Yes the Humbrol enamel. This is gloss white although it has a more creamy appearance than other whites some of which tend to be startlingly white. Quite like this particular one I have to admit.

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 02:02:49 pm »

I might be telling every one something that is common knowledge ,Humbrol's we'd site is good and thy have a web shop . I use it all the time and is a very good service .There should be a good chance that the paint is fresh and has not been sitting on a shelf for a long time.

Merry Christmas  to everyone on here
 David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2013, 03:55:08 pm »

There should be a good chance that the paint is fresh and has not been sitting on a shelf for a long time.

Yea that's the problem at times doesn't seem to sell quickly at some outlets.

I a convert to the Humbrol web/ shop site. My old 22 gloss white does look creamy in the tin but comes up a nice light white

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2013, 04:16:11 pm »

Hi mate
Keep us posted  with your paint job. Is it the Humbrol enamel  paint you are using ?
Tried the Humbrol last night. Very thick, covers very well though. Looks OK this morning, no brush marks apparent so guess thats a result. Will rub down over the weekend and give it another coat, maybe thin it down a bit first and do several coats.

Was actually quite pleasant to brush on, seemed to lose its brush marks quite quickly. Well we live in hope that it is going to be good in the end. Will have to go back and buy some of the other colours while there is still some in the shop.

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it.

Doesn't anyone read the earlier posts?

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2013, 05:02:22 pm »

Yes I am sure they do ????

Marks problem is now sorted and he used enamel paint also we might get pictures  of the finish model.

I myself have discovered a new outlet for humbrol  enamel paints not acrylics and other paint possibilities plus a lot of info from Malcolm

Job done !!!

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2013, 11:37:38 pm »

Tried the Humbrol last night. Very thick, covers very well though

Says nowt about enamel OR acrylic Ned?

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.