Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model of Australia 2  (Read 2273 times)

canalpilot

• Full Mayhemer
Model of Australia 2
« on: March 28, 2014, 10:47:44 pm »

I have been asked to refurbish a R/C plastic kit of the 1983 Americas Cup winner, Australia 2.  Does anyone know the kit and who made them.  It would help greatly if I knew the maker so that I can try and get a book of instructions, if they are still in business.  I will beable to do it but it would be so much easier with the instruction book.

Barry

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model of Australia 2
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 10:59:03 pm »

Looks like one I had. Mine came from Tandys the electronic people. The hull was fully assembled it just needed the sails and rigging attaching. I don't remember there being much in the way of instructions.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 11:01:43 pm »

Hi is this the little 20 inch long model?  If so I think I have all the instructionss but will have to have a good look for them.
regards Roy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 01:10:49 am »

Guys...sadly the designer of Australia2 Ben Lexan is now in the windswept seas of sailor's heaven...... Bondie is out of Jail  :police: but recently lost his socialite wife..... ........ John Bertrand the skipper is alive & well and comes out of retirement yearly as the senior sailing reporter for the Australian 7 television network coverage of the Sydney to Hobart race on Boxing Day last ......

If anyone knows.......JB will have the answer to your question  :-)) ..................Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 07:35:51 pm »

Thunder Tiger.  Their boat manuals live here - http://www.thundertiger.net/manual/1__4__6.html - but since it hasn't been a "live" item for a long time, I didn't find it in there.
With the various improvements needed (kicking strap, sensible jib boom, totally redesign the servo mounts to work more than once), general model yacht knowledge is probably better than the original instructions.  One not obvious point is that the kit came with two rudders - one for show, the larger for sailing.  The one pictured looks like the sailing rudder is fitted.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 09:44:15 pm »

prior to thunder tiger taking over production of this model it was made by mrp . i also have one of these boats in my care , the one i have is the meter sized version , which is slowly being improved , so far its had a new plywood servo mounting tray , it has a groovy mast and sails fitted , the only concern is its tendency to plough a furrow when sailing downwind !

canalpilot

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 09:24:57 am »

Many thanks for all your comments.
It is about 20 inches long and I was actually given two, the other one in a far worse state but with a larger rudder.  I will just make a diagram of the rigging before I start so it will not be too difficult a job to re-rig it. 
I have also been given a 4'  MSC tug, the Viking, to re-furbish, it never rains but it pours!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.