Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Check your lights  (Read 3572 times)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
Check your lights
« on: December 19, 2013, 10:30:43 pm »

Hi Guys

Just a quick reminder courtesy of Merseyside police. I had to blow in the bag this evening after being stopped by an unmarked police car on a side road.

One of my brake light bulbs was out and that is a moving traffic violation. An officer told me they are targeting every single offence with a breath test. Mine came back 0% but the bulb is a lesson to us all. Check your lights and driving style or risk a probable pull this Xmas. The Policemen were very polite and there was no hassle or anything; and no ticket for the bulb either :)

Very Happy Xmas to you all + families

Regards Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Check your lights
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 10:46:07 pm »

Very difficult to know if a rear bulb has failed unless somebody tells you. It's not something you check every day.

They are also checking on 'morning after drivers' at this time of year.

I drive in France several times a year and the rules say that you have to have and be able to fit a spare bulb if you are stopped because of one failing. However, to change a front bulb on my Mazda 6 entails removing the wheel arch lining to get access to the back of the headlight housing and even then it isn't an easy job. Not something you can really do at the roadside and a lot of cars are like this now. I carry the spares but no way can I fit them myself, it's really a garage job so quite where this leaves me I just don't know!

Colin

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 11:19:43 pm »

I had spare bulbs but only at home in the shed. The officer made no bones about looking for excuses to stop and breath test. All very friendly but I would hate to have to worry. Hence I have already bought some 0 alcohol for myself on driving days or for visiting drivers.

Dave

ixion

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 06:13:12 am »

The officer made no bones about looking for excuses to stop and breath test.

They don't need a excuse to stop and breath test you. I am a delivery driver and out early mornings and here in N Wales I have been randomly breath tested twice this week. Evey morning I see at least 2 places were they are set up for testing. It doesn't have to be early either on Tuesday I was stopped at 09.30am.
I think its a good thing too taking potential killers of the road.

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 07:51:46 am »

I drive in France several times a year and the rules say that you have to have and be able to fit a spare bulb if you are stopped because of one failing. However, to change a front bulb on my Mazda 6 entails removing the wheel arch lining to get access to the back of the headlight housing and even then it isn't an easy job. Not something you can really do at the roadside and a lot of cars are like this now. I carry the spares but no way can I fit them myself, it's really a garage job so quite where this leaves me I just don't know!

And there are some French cars that require the entire front bumper to be removed! I wonder what would they do then? Forgive me, but the cynic in me would say that their actions would depend partly on your nationality, not the car's!  :D

Back on topic, I'm all for the 'Christmas Drink/Drive' campaign. I've been stopped quite a few times, but only breath tested once. The other times, when the officer asked if I'd had a drink, I've just said no and that's been it. That campaign should be a permanent year-long feature. Mind you, if I'm stopped, I would like them to explain why, and not just give the "That doesn't matter, we can stop you for anything we like." response that's sometimes shown on those TV Cop docu-shows
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 08:00:21 am »

And there are some French cars that require the entire front bumper to be removed!   :D

Yep The Series 2 Renault Megane requires the front wheel to be removed in order to gain access to the access panel in the wheel arch. (unless you have a small child handy, in which case it is possible without removing the the wheel)
The same model with HID headlights requires the removal of the front bumper.... not a big job as its doable with a few spanners, but not something one would want to do at the side of the road in the rain.
Finland have the same rules but are lenient when it comes to the front headlights on modern cars
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 08:20:09 am »

there is a temporary solution

a box with white leds or colors and a hadésif roll.

It does not light, but we see you.

I came to UK as a back light did not work and I spent all Check Signal.

For alcohol, I 1500000 Km * my counter and I have never been checked ........................

* I was shopping for a fabric

Now my car tells me to tell me that a bulb is dead

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 09:06:41 am »

I drive a Volvo, each important rear light has a minimum of 2 bulbs, so 4 rear light bulbs, 5 brake light bulbs
the car tells me if one fails, but I am still showing a brake light or rear light until I can replace the bulb, Now I don't know if they are allowed to pull you if one bulb of two has failed, I would guess probably not as you are still displaying a legal indication.
That said I carry a set of spare bulbs (as I do pop over to france where a full spare set is a legal requirement), but if a bulb goes as you are driving on the motorway its not always wise to stop immediately to change it, much better to find a safe place to pull over (services).
Grendel

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 09:35:54 am »

I tend to check my rear bulbs by looking through the rear view mirror and seeing their reflection in a car parked behind me, or by the glow when parked in front of a wall.

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 09:52:38 am »

Yep The Series 2 Renault Megane requires the front wheel to be removed in order to gain access to the access panel in the wheel arch. (unless you have a small child handy, in which case it is possible without removing the the wheel)

the wifes 2007 renault laguna requires the airfilter box, ductwork and air flow sensor to be disconnected to be removed and battery to be loosened off in the battery tray to shift it back an inch or so just to remove the rear cover of the nearside headlamp unit-
to repalce a blown lamp ( with the help of a 10 year old with small hands) at home on the driveway with all the tools it took nearly 2 hours to do the job from start to finish and to clean  up afterwards- not something i would relish on the side of the road.....should have got halfords we fit to do it for a fiver !!!
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 10:48:42 am »

Glove compartment get bulb round lift bonnet 1/4 turn plastic cap to gain access to bulb unit. Pull it out replace bulb put cap back on try lights,job done  3 mins. Rear light lift hatch undo 2 butterfly bolts on screws pull unit from car using screwdriver open unit replace bulb reverse procedure to refit 6 mins. I keep a headlamp bulbs and others  but have a full unit in work shed. Just got the heater fan changed and I am glad it is not directly behind the heater matrix but to the left side readily accessable takes an 1 hour tops to change. Something  to be said about a 20 year old 306 pug

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 08:46:32 pm »

Rear lights on a punto take five minutes but front near side needs small hands.

Re power to stop. Yes they can at will but the officer said they preferred to stop for cause. I too support keeping drunks off the road. I always call the wife a taxi {-) ... Only joking

My Brotherinlaw is a HGV Driver and doesn't drink and drive.  He is also as as tight as the ducks proverbial so on Boxing Day he will leave my house and walk three miles home with his wife. Regardless of weather and her high heels.  O0

Dave

Steve Dean

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 08:53:19 pm »

I find it mind boggling reading Colin Bishops statement about the French rules on fitting spare bulbs. The other half (Wendy) until recently owned a Peugot and it was impossible to change a headlamp bulb. If ever it blew one (it happened twice) we had to take it back to the dealer and even they struggled to do it. More nonsense rules from our chums over the water !!!!

AND just to prove we are just as stupid in this country ….. where we used to live there was a council run car park and in an attempt to raise revenue (to offset service cuts) they decided to increase the parking charge. Surprise, surprise lots of people stopped using the car park. This created a drop in income from the car park ……. and guess what (wait for it) …….. they raised the price again to offset the drop !!!!

Seasons greeting to you all.

Steve Dean

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 09:22:31 pm »

My Mitsubishi Lancer wagon.....is   :kiss:
My Mitsubishi Lancer wagon ....brake light globes are  >>:-(

They are not conventional miniature bayonet cap globes.........but press in flat spade connections......
The pressure required to remove a blown globe is sufficient to collapse/smash the glass envelope.......
The pressure required to install or insert a new globe is sufficient to collapse/smash the glass envelope.......

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 09:50:51 pm »

Very difficult to know if a rear bulb has failed unless somebody tells you. It's not something you check every day.

I drive in France several times a year and the rules say that you have to have and be able to fit a spare bulb if you are stopped because of one failing.

Colin

I'm not going to quote verbatim- but the highway code says that vehicles should be inspected for faulty lights, tires brakes etc BEFORE every journey. If you ever watch any of the police series on tv they always ask the driver if they carried out the checks. Its a Catch 22 question, if you say no then you are not driving with due care and attention, if you say yes then you are not driving with due care and attention.

The best answer if its lights is to say yes you checked before driving off, it must have just blown!

As to driving in France, the law is the same in Spain and Germany, you must carry spare bulbs in the car. However the laws have been modified to not require them to be replaced at the side of the road- the powers that be realise that most modern cars require major parts to be removed to get at the light assembly.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 10:14:55 pm »

OEM bulbs tend to be fairly reliable. On my last three cars I didn't have a single bulb blow and I had each of them for between three and a half and four years.

Colin

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2013, 10:28:48 pm »

my Volvo does get through headlight bulbs roughly every 6 months, but on the flip side the lights are on all the time, so hours of use more than most cars, probably about 3 hours a day at the moment.
Grendel

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2013, 10:30:31 pm »

I had to chime in on this one, we inherited my wife's grandmother's car, a little Daewoo 1.5 hatch, we knew it had been a bit neglected and that one of the headlights was half full of rusty water so we had the headlight changed and a full safety check done, sure enough a couple of days later I was pulled over for a breath and safety check, I sat there quite smug in the knowledge that I don't drink and that the car was 100% ok, however they managed to find a hugely dangerous problem  (sarcasm), being an older car the number plate had become faded ????? and was given a written warning that it had to be replaced within a certain time. Now we aren't talking so faded that I couldn't be read from a distance, just enough that the shine had gone off it. I know they are just doing their job but if you have a look around you will see an awful lot of plates that are nearly unreadable......whinge over.
Phill
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2013, 10:38:22 pm »

They were probably just disappointed Phil...

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2013, 10:55:31 pm »

It's a bit of a double standard here Phil ... >>:-( in NSW of OZ  :police:

You purchase motor vehicle registration on a yearly tenure, however the actual number plates attached to your vehicle remain the ownership of the NSW Roads & Maritime
It is your duty to return vehicle registration plates to the NSW Roads & Maritime if your vehicle is written off
It is illegal to repaint number plates

Maybe a light spray with polyurethane gloss may have assisted...... :o .....Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2013, 11:41:19 pm »

I had to chime in on this one, we inherited my wife's grandmother's car, a little Daewoo 1.5 hatch, we knew it had been a bit neglected and that one of the headlights was half full of rusty water so we had the headlight changed and a full safety check done, sure enough a couple of days later I was pulled over for a breath and safety check, I sat there quite smug in the knowledge that I don't drink and that the car was 100% ok, however they managed to find a hugely dangerous problem  (sarcasm), being an older car the number plate had become faded ????? and was given a written warning that it had to be replaced within a certain time. Now we aren't talking so faded that I couldn't be read from a distance, just enough that the shine had gone off it. I know they are just doing their job but if you have a look around you will see an awful lot of plates that are nearly unreadable......whinge over.
Phill

Phill to add insult to injury,

A lot of the personalised plates bought in Queensland are also illegible, colour combinations, lack of contrast etc, etc, yet there is no action about them because they were bought from government <*< <*< <*<
Gunna build those other boats one day.

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 06:50:56 am »

We have those awful coloured plates down here too, saw one the other day that was dark red with a black background, and don't even get me started on those new blue headlights, wonderful idea to help the driver see better, just a shame about the oncoming traffic that are momentarily blinded.

Phill
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2013, 07:06:12 am »

where is the good old days when we got into the cart and the horse returned alone at home
When my grandfather could not climb into the wagon, my grandmother brought the grandfather in wheelbarrow {-) {-) {-)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2013, 07:15:33 am »

Hullo GAZOU......your French grandfather put the oil lamp on the left side of the wagon...to see the way on the right side

All other Mayhem members grandfathers from Britain put the oil lamp on the right side of the wagon...to see the way on the left side

I am not sure if anyone's grandmother had an oil lamp on the wheelbarrow...... {-) .....Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2013, 08:05:52 am »

grandfather had very red nose!
very very red!
luminous...............................

as the crossing of the railway
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.