Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad Weather coming our way  (Read 3902 times)

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
Bad Weather coming our way
« on: December 26, 2013, 11:05:52 pm »

Just had occasion to look at the shipping forecast 5 minutes ago - there is not a single forecast area round
Britain and Ireland that does not have gale warnings and about half of them are Force 10.
Anyone living near the coastline of the Irish Sea should really watch out Violent Storm for 11 is travelling northwards
towards you.
Batten down the hatches and head for high ground and look after yourselves.
Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

Stavros

Re: Bad Weather coming our way
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 11:24:47 pm »

Dammed felt has allready blown off the shed roof tonight and I am 6miles from the irish sea !!!!!! Inland,and NO hpoe either of a repair for a couple of days so MEGGA ins claim coming up I'm afraid,never claimed before so definatly going to NOW

Dave

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 02:42:32 am »

And no doubt some flipping idiot will jump into the sea tomorrow.

Had a fair amount of wind earlier but didn't last long. All calm now.

Hopefully it'll stay calm on the 29th, I don't fancy being out on patrol if it's too lumpy!

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 09:17:29 am »

Our great sea-faring nation. Bit of water and rain and we just fall apart. Ho hum.

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 09:42:51 am »

Our great sea-faring nation. Bit of water and rain and we just fall apart. Ho hum.

I don't think I would describe a force 11 violent storm as  bit of water and rain.
Don't know if you have ever been out at sea in conditions like that - I don't think I've ever been out in
anything worse than a force 10 and that was bad enough.
Think of the folk who have to be out in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 09:52:54 am »

I have the joy of flying back from Finland to the UK on Sunday Evening..... should be an interesting flight  :o
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 10:06:47 am »

Preliminary walk round this morning, window gone from shed and two ridge tiles gone from house roof. I put the bins out last night but at 2200 thought better of it and brought them back in. Top blown off and one bag blown out of the wheelie bin.  Oh and a strange car on the drive?!
Jerry.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 10:37:29 am »

I don't think I would describe a force 11 violent storm as  bit of water and rain.
Don't know if you have ever been out at sea in conditions like that - I don't think I've ever been out in
Geoff
I'm not suggesting this is a pleasant day for a swim, but it's not exactly exceptional. We get storms most winters, but from the way the media portray it you'd think Katrina was here.
I have been at sea in a storm, RFA tanker in a 10. Our cards kept sliding off the table which was rather annoying.

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 11:30:09 am »

Geoff
I did two cross-channel trips in a force 10. One on Caledonian Princess from Newhaven to Dieppe. She was going across light to have her stabilisers fixed in dry dock. Wind was on the starboard quarter and she bucked like a bronco. Most people couldn't stand up or sit down, let alone play cards! Coming back a few hours later I was on Falaise, but by then we were heading straight into things. More comfortable - I even had lunch!

But pugwash is correct in his last statement. My Dad had to take the tug Meeching out from Newhaven in F10/F11 conditions to rescue the sand dredger Pen Dart off Shoreham. He said that was the worst he'd even been out in and he'd spent his entire career at sea. The clinometer behind the wheel was calibrated to 40 degrees maximum roll, and it was going off the end all the time.

And we should never forget the RNLI and other rescue crews.
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 07:49:03 pm »

Last night was about the worse night I can remember around here ,and by the calculations I am 3 miles inland ,but by ,eck ,last time I heard the wind howling like it was , was in a typhoon in the south china sea , and my trusty Fitzroy has never moved so much ,,down then on the way up again ,twice in 48 hours ,oh yes last night was Squally o k , still feel so very sorry for the folks down south ,they have really had a bad time ,and to see the Cameron fella chatting to the lady ,thought that was sensorded for what she said  ?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 08:32:16 pm »

Things have been bad down this way, certainly the worst for many years. We have been lucky with just our garage flooded to a depth of a inch or so which has been messy but no more than a very minor inconvenience compared with many people in the area.

I do however feel that some people are rather unrealistic in their expectations when these exceptional weather conditions occur. Sometimes the only thing you can do is to sit it out and clear up afterwards. No good expecting your electricity to be connected if the power lines are underwater until the floods recede. To say the council staff are 'off on their holidays' is very unfair indeed. Many are doing all they can to help mitigate the situation but there is only so much you can do. You can't just wish the water away, it will go in its own good time. Years ago when working for 'the Council' I spent an evening helping out with setting up an emergency centre in a flooded area. no, it wasn't my job but everyone pitched in with no thought of overtime. On another occasion I spent the evening of Christmas Eve in a school with one of our contractors debating on whether we should leave the heating on to stop the pipes freezing up or risk running out of oil fuel altogether. This was during the 1970s oil crisis.

Over the years we seem to have developed a blame culture whereby if you are inconvenienced, somebody must be to blame. The reality is that sometimes natural events happen and you have to manage as best you can. Some people rise to the occasion, others look for somebody else to blame. Personally I am sure that the people responsible for restoring power are doing their very best and that in doing so they have to prioritise their efforts to get as many people reconnected as quickly as possible. This might mean that some individuals are kept waiting a bit longer but that is the name of the game.

Colin

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 08:52:52 pm »

Colin Will I agree with what you said.
When energy company charge what they do. If power go off people feel the right to demand it is fix NOW due to what they pay. The same can be said of other services. They make arod for there own back. While it is no one fault but for what people pay they demand it when they want it.

John

Stavros

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 09:07:44 pm »

Colin In one way I fully agree with you BUT We are fed up to the back teeth of Scottish Power,I have lived in the same hoise for over 42 years and every time we get a bit of wind the electricity suddenly goes off..............then the excuses being.....and FALSE promises of it will be on in x number of hours......PAH load of codswallop.

We had a new power line put up in october and within an hour they had to come back to redo it as they had dropped a clanger.......Last week we had the leccy go off AGAIN,they promised it back in an hour 9 hours ltr they got it back,I next day reported a potential problem to them..the STUIPID call centre girl said WHY DO I LIVE in AMERICA....for goodness sake ARGHHHHHHHH........the lads came over so I directed them to the branch on the line.....MMMMM We cant do that we need to call someone else....MMMM typical of this country PASS THE BUCK.

As far as everyone without electricity I do sympathise with them BUT in this day and age isnt it about time the leccy boards got it right............they certantly CAN NOT UP HERE

Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 09:25:51 pm »

One of the problems is that since nationalisation, staff numbers have been reduced so there are simply no longer the backup engineering resources that used to be available. Staffing is now geared to 'normal' with nothing left in hand.

Colin

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 11:46:42 pm »

One of the problems is that since nationalisation, staff numbers have been reduced so there are simply no longer the backup engineering resources that used to be available. Staffing is now geared to 'normal' with nothing left in hand.

Colin
Very true. People complain about their bills enough, most wouldn't want to pay even more just to save the odd hour or two of power cuts (on average over the whole population) per year.

It's also made a bit worse by much stricter safety rules. 20-30 years ago a cable-man might take a few well judged short-cuts, which experienced men could do safely, and get things running again quicker (or in some cases avoid it going off at all); now they are not allowed, so it can all take a bit longer.

wicker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 08:15:40 am »

scottish electric give a great service up here in the north of scotland--quick response and last year a transformer caught fire and had to be replaced this was at 0700 and we were told it would take to 1500 to get it replaced good for our area all was up and running at 1050 great crews we hav e==  at times they are sent south to England and Wales to assist there

Mad Scientist

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 11:20:30 pm »

scottish electric give a great service up here in the north of scotland--quick response and last year a transformer caught fire and had to be replaced this was at 0700 and we were told it would take to 1500 to get it replaced good for our area all was up and running at 1050 great crews we hav e==  at times they are sent south to England and Wales to assist there

There's great co-operation among power companies on this side of The Pond, too. This is a very good thing, since my part of the world is 'blessed' with both hurricanes and blizzards! :-))

Tom

Argosy42

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 12:44:40 pm »

We perhaps need to be a little careful to distinguish between electrical distribution companies and electricity supply companies.

The supply companies are the ones that send you their bills: hence have the ability to set tarrifs, including in many cases "dual fuel" (gas + electricity) options.

The distribution companies are those that get the electicity from the power stations to each individual supply. These Distribution Network Operator (DNOs) are companies licensed to distribute electricity in Great Britain by the Office of Gas and Electricity Markets. There are fourteen licensed DNOs in geographically defined areas, based on the former Area Electricity Board boundaries, where the distribution network operator distributes electricity from the tranmission grid to homes and businesses. Under the Utilities Act (2000) they are prevented from supplying electricity; this is done by a separate electricity supply company, chosen by the consumer, who makes use of the distribution network. Distribution network operators are also responsible for allocating the core Meter Point Administration Number used to identify individual supply points in their respective areas, as well as operating and administering a Meter Point Administration System that manages the details relating to each supply point. These systems then populate ECOES, the central online database of electricity supply points, and their trade association is the Energy Networks Association.
So, the workers who brave the elements to maintain and repair the electrical distribution network in these 14 designated areas quite separate those responsible for setting tarrifs and sending us bills!
Amazing what a bloke can learn while helping a daughter removate her flat!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 10:19:55 pm »

Argosy42.......in OZ...it appears that we have followed a similar plan for making more FAT cats & duplicating bureaucratic levels of management  >>:-(

Electricity generation Co's......Electricity supply Co's.....& Electricity distribution Co's

Each separate Co has it's own management leading to the Board & CEO.....not to forget the CFO & all of the hangers on......... <*<

Then.... each successive Government changes its mind & proposes privatization of the generation facilities only to be threatened by the unions........

Then.... to rub salt into our wounds  <:(......each Government states that they don't set charges & tariffs.......these charges are set by an independent Industry regulator.........

Then.... there is the latest 12% to 15% increase in energy costs due to Governmental actions against global warming  %% {-) :} :o  .....Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 10:30:54 pm »

Good Heavens Derek - and there was me thinking that you got all your energy from rubbing two sticks together down under....

Colin

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 10:40:17 pm »

Happy new year Colin........I think the only sticks being rubbed together in OZ will be @ the cricket ground  >>:-(.........just ask Footski or Peter..................
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 11:47:06 pm »

Well the christmas wind and rain took a toll on the boat sadly. The CD's are missing presumed lost, so as a result the deck looks like this:

Another problem is that the rain has of course run down into the bilges and so the bilge pumps have been running pretty much non stop. The bilges are nice and dry, but when we went to start engines yesterday, the batteries were flat  >>:-(

So we took 4 of them off, and are charging them overnight, so we'll be going out tomorrow to put them on again and hopefully she'll start - that's if the bad weather tomorrow doesn't fill the bilges again.

hopeitfloats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2013, 05:55:01 am »

Argosy42.......in OZ...it appears that we have followed a similar plan for making more FAT cats & duplicating bureaucratic levels of management  >>:-(

Electricity generation Co's......Electricity supply Co's.....& Electricity distribution Co's

Each separate Co has it's own management leading to the Board & CEO.....not to forget the CFO & all of the hangers on......... <*<

Then.... each successive Government changes its mind & proposes privatization of the generation facilities only to be threatened by the unions........

Then.... to rub salt into our wounds  <:(......each Government states that they don't set charges & tariffs.......these charges are set by an independent Industry regulator.........

Then.... there is the latest 12% to 15% increase in energy costs due to Governmental actions against global warming  %% {-) :} :o  .....Derek

exactly the same here Derek. what would we do without them hey.  ok2

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2013, 09:37:44 am »

Well the Christmas wind and rain took a toll on the boat sadly. The CD's are missing presumed lost, so as a result the deck looks like this:

Looks as if the weather frightened the seagulls too then....

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2013, 09:41:09 am »

Looks as if the weather frightened the seagulls too then....

It must have took ages to get that detail of weathering  %% %% %%

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.