Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: River Class Frigate  (Read 19175 times)

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
River Class Frigate
« on: December 30, 2013, 07:08:31 pm »

Hi guys,
After seeing the free plan in Model boat magazine of Glynn Guests "HMS Tean", a River class Frigate, I decided to give it a go.
My Grandad built a model from one of his previous plans, Paladin I believe it was called. Anyway, he convinced me it was easy enough, and that I should give this one a try. My Grandad bought the balsa wood for me as a Christmas present, how thoughtful!  %)
My first scratch build aswell, this could be fun!  {-)

Anyway, I made a start on it today. For the first part, which consists of building the bottom of the hull and the framework to support the sides, including the bulk heads. I found it easier to scan the drawing, and use the copy to take measurements etc. Also came in handy for cutting the bulkheads, as I just cut these out of the copy, and drew around onto the balsa.
This bit is quite easy to do if you have a good sharp knife, some decent wood glue, a pencil and a ruler/set square. I also used to pins just to hold the balsa strips in place until the glue goes off.

Right, pictures of where I'm up to now:
Spot the mistake!

Duly rectified...

Bulkheads in place, checked for square aswell:

Next job is to cut the sides (notice my highly technical terminology here!) and clag them on. Hopefully will get round to it tomorrow!
Thats all for now!
Steven

malcf

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: River Class Frigate
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 07:47:17 pm »

Good luck with the build Steven,one thing i would advise you to do is check that the scans printed out the same size i'm saying this as i scanned some and printed out 1:1 and i found a slight difference it may just be my printer but its worth checking. :-))

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 11:59:01 pm »

Yeah I made sure the prinet was set for 1:1, then measured them after, came out okay thankfully  :-))

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 05:42:40 pm »

Cut the sides out today using the same method of copying the plans and cutting out as a template. All glued and pinned in place, now waiting for glue to set before I start to shape the bow and stern:

And fixed in place:

Might get a bit more done tomorrow once the glue dries off!
Cheers,
Steven

Hmshood

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 02:55:33 pm »

Good luck with the build I also considered this one but completely occupied with the Hood build at the moment. Will follow your progress and hopefully take full advantage of your build reports

Happy New Year

Vic

%%
I love warships bring back the big guns

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 04:57:04 pm »

Looking good so far  :-))

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 08:36:18 pm »

Cheers guys! Vic, I'd take this thread more as a how not to do it guide if I were you  :-))

Did a little more work today, the bow was pulled in, clamped and glued in place. Took a bit of doing to get it to conform the the curve of the front bulkhead, but got there in the end by using a G clamp as the magazine article suggests.
Next part was to glue the transom at the back, again fairly painless (until a pin slipped and wedged itself in my finger!). The only problem I had here was getting the sides to stay put on the transom until the glue set. The magazine article recommended using kitchen cable wraps, the ones for putting round the top of a plastic bag, however I found I couldn't get these tight enough to successfully hold the sides onto the transom. Instead I used some small cable ties, tied together and pulled just tight enough to hold it together until the glue sets.
After this dried, it was time to add the stern piece, which was just cut slightly over length from the left over 6mm balsa. Still waiting for the glue to go off on this, that's what the battery pack in the last photo is for, bit of weight!

Cheers,
Steven

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 11:21:27 pm »

Back again! Just removed the excess from the bow and stern, she looks a bit more like a ship now!

That's all for today!
Cheers,
Steven

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 11:12:38 am »

Cracking on with it .... :}

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 12:11:43 am »

Certainly am  :-)) 
I have been enjoying this build so far, until I was sanding the transom last night and heard a soft "crack". When I've looked into it, it looks as though using the G clamp to bring the bow into the first bulkhead has stressed the wood on one side of the boat more than the other, resulting in me touching it and it cracking slightly. I've sorted this though, ran a sharp knife down the inside of the bulkhead, freeing the side off, and filled it in with a little wedge of balsa and some slithers. Plenty of wood glue aswell! So, disaster averted, tonight (or last night as it is now after midnight!) I have fixed the propshaft in place, and made the frame, or "plug" as the article describes it, that the superstructure is built up on.
Next up I need to visit the model shop to pick up some bits n bobs to make up the rudder, after which I can fit the rear deck and the front deck.
Anyway, enough waffle, more pics!

Thats all for now!
Cheers,
Steven

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 05:48:46 pm »

Decks are now on, main deck has been glued to the plug. Getting all the decks to fit was an absolute nightmare. People who are more experienced might have easy ways to do it, but getting a flush fit, not easy! The main removable deck is better, after gluing some small slithers of balsa back in to fill gaps. I do think however, glueing the main deck to its frame has distorted the frame slightly, making it a very tight fit, which I suppose isn't a bad thing, don't want it falling off!
Anyway, started on the superstructure today, again this was fairly fiddly, holding bits together to get them all in, without too much force was tricky!
I also realised the bow of the boat isn't quite straight, looks like the hull framework on one side towards the front is a bit off, which when trying to find the center of the boat and what looks right doesn't really help. But oh well, we learn from mistakes! 
Anyway, enough waffling again, pictures!

Cheers,
Steven

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 03:01:40 pm »

Made more progress with the superstructure, the sides have been clad in thin plasticard to improve the finish, this was quite easy going around the bottom of the superstructure, however doing the bit around the gun turrets that sticks up, and on top of the bridge was an absolute nightmare! I managed to get it to stick around the gun deck, but for the bridge I wasn't happy with it, so ripped it off and replaced it with 2mm balsa instead. Knocked a little gun up today aswell, she is certainly starting to look the part now!
Also got the motor supports glued in, the mount is just a metal one that comes with the motor. The steering servo is also in place, again this was very fiddly to fit, because of its location. It is however one of those micro servos, I didn't realise just how micro they actually are!

Next up I think is to figure out how I'm going to fit the rudder...
Cheers,
Steven

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 04:19:08 pm »

:-))

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 07:56:43 pm »

Lookin' good  :}

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 09:23:07 pm »

That is looking Really good Steven.

Cheers
Peter

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 10:03:04 pm »

Thanks for the comments guys  :-))

Well so much for doing the rudder, I got fed up and ended up making some more guns, I was wondering why they were so fiddly, until I looked at the scale and realised its 1/144. Funny that, my N gauge model railway stuff is 1/148, no wonder its fiddly!

Anyway, I don't think they look too bad. In the magazine pictures it looks like Mr Guest made them from plasticard, but I thought stuff it I'll use balsa!

Cheers!
Steven

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 03:22:15 pm »

Well, the rudder is now installed, working correctly aswell!

I've also given the boat a couple of coats of Thomsons water seal. Think it's gonna need a one or two more yet.

Anyway, she should be ready for bathtub trials within a couple of weeks I hope!

On a slight side note, does anyone know if these ships were fitted with Navigation Lights? I'd like to install some if so. Theres a search light up on the bridge I intend to have working, but not sure if warships from WW2 had Nav lights?

Cheers,
Steven

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 03:28:33 pm »

On a slight side note, does anyone know if these ships were fitted with Navigation Lights? I'd like to install some if so. Theres a search light up on the bridge I intend to have working, but not sure if warships from WW2 had Nav lights?

They had navigation lights but would only switch them on in an emergency until hostilities ceased

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 03:40:52 pm »

:-))
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 03:51:27 pm »

Hi there sorry for the separate posting from the picture, as I have been having a lot of bother putting pics on the forum - keeps timing out - anyhoo if you have a look at the pic you will see an arrow pointing at the navigation lights at the side of the bridge.  I also believe there are search lights at the stern of the bridge will have a look for some photographs to show these :-) hope this is of some help and I will add I am enjoying watching your build.

Aye

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 04:05:30 pm »

Hi guys, thanks for the info!

Looking at a picture of a River Class here:
http://uboat.net/media/allies/warships/ca/frigate_river_hmcs_orkney.jpg

Looks like there is something on the side of the bridge as in your picture John, I take it this is where I would need to put mine?
As for the search lights, on the plans I have here there are just two up on the bridge, but these are not propper ship plans, just the ones for the model.
Thanks again
Steven

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 04:05:58 pm »

'Searchlights' at the back of the bridge could possibly be signalling projectors.
Open bridge ships usually had the flag deck level and aft of the bridge.
20 inch signal projectors could also be used as searchlights.
Never seen an actual stand alone searchlight on a warship that I served on.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2014, 04:11:52 pm »

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2014, 05:15:46 pm »

It's nice following this thread as I have built GG's HMS Ivanhoe a long time ago so I know what you're going through. One cautionary note I'll make is keep the top weight down. Good luck I'll follow the thread through.

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2014, 09:48:08 pm »

Cheers guys, Deadbeat, I am watching what I am putting on top. I have substituted some card bits for balsa just for ease of construction though, and the mast is just from some spare rod and wire I had laying around in the drawers!

Anyway here's some more pictures, not the greatest my phone camera doesn't like the kitchen lights and my cameras battery is flat!

I've taken the exposed rudder linkage arm option, as GG says in the article, putting it under the deck (which isn't very deep and not removeable) could be a regret later on if there are any problems! Once it's out on the water I doubt anyone is going to notice...

Cheers,
Steven
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.