Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: River Class Frigate  (Read 19131 times)

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
Re: River Class Frigate
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2014, 12:32:13 pm »

With my HMS Ivanhoe I think I overpowered it, too big a prop/motor too much torque so when in a turn it lurched frighteningly, one side was worse than the other because of the prop's rotation. On a straight run the bow wave was perfect it cut through the water as any destroyer does.
So the motor/prop combination is important, I'm afraid trial and error will get you there.

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2014, 12:50:04 pm »

I have just gone with the motor as reccomended in the article, which is a 385 and just a standard 3 blade prop. only using a 4.8v battery so it's not exactly going to fly, maybe I should put a 380 in, fast response frigate?  {-)

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2014, 06:18:15 pm »

Got some more detailing done today, It's amazing how adding something so simple such as lifeboats and the bridge supports really change the look of the model!

The little life rafts were just small strips of balsa glued to some card, nothing flash but it does the trick I think! The two larger boats were carved out of one block each, with the wire bent to form the davits.

The bridge supports are just made from some plasticard strip I had lying around!

Also, I have found my 1.8mm LED's and these are now in place on the bridge top, about to go into the garage now and solder them up.

That's all for now!
Cheers,
Steven

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2014, 10:34:00 pm »

Okay, this might be a little bit over the top but, let there be light!

I might see if Blackpool council want it for the Illuminations next year....

Cheers,
Steven

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2014, 03:20:48 am »

Cool, keep up the good work
cheers
vnkiwi  :-))
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2014, 01:58:34 pm »

And now she is all sealed, well,hopefully at least, the primer has been applied. Rather lightly I might add on the superstructure!

Hopefully will give her bath trials this weekend, and see if the battery I have bought is going to be too heavy or not!
Cheers
Steven

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2014, 06:51:11 pm »

Well, its had a bath...
I still need to get the stern down to water level as its too high out the water, but the hull itself floats nicely with the help of a little ballast.
However as soon as I add the superstructure, the boat seems to lose sense of which way is up. It rolls over to one side, doesn't capsize, but the deck gets very close to the water...
I've tried counteracting it with ballast on the other side, but then it rolls straight over that way...
Now, I can't understand why its doing this. The superstructure itself is very light, light enough I wouldn't have thought it would influence which way up the boat sits.
Could it be I need more weight in the bottom of the boat?
Any help here here appreciated, I've never had to ballast before this one!
Cheers,
Steven

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2014, 06:55:09 pm »

Get as much ballast low on the keel and around the centre line.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2014, 08:09:15 pm »

Looks like I'm going to have to go buy some more ballast then!
I've put in the pack I had, underneath the motor along the center line. The battery is in the front compartment, even with the ESC and the receiver in, it still doesn't hold itself.

I'm just hoping it doesn't need that much weight that it sits below it's true waterline...

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2014, 09:38:24 pm »

Are you using a 4.8 volt battery pack as this is very light so not surprised more ballast needed.
Do you know any plumbers or old tyre weights that are sometimes dumped from tyre depots.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2014, 09:49:42 pm »

I am using a 4.8v pack, however it's a sub C type, so plenty more weight than the normal AA's as the article suggests!
My Dad reckons he can get hold of the tyre weights from somewhere at work hopefully!

I just hope adding the extra weight will help, I could do without having to butcher the superstructure to remove weight from there, not that theres that much more there than in the article. I have used balsa in some places instead of card, but the balsa isn't exactly heavy...

Cheers,
Steven

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2014, 12:50:40 pm »

I built Deans HMS Nubian and had the same problem. The main issue with my Nubian and your boat is that as single screw model all the weight is on the centreline, batteries, motor, ESC etc. so only a tiny immbalance of weight caused it to list. Nothing I could do helped until I realised the problem was that everything was on the centreline giving it very poor transverse stability. I then experimented by placing ballast as low as possible but as far apart athwartships (port and starboard) as possible, and making sure I kept the correct trim longitudinally, and it worked (I used fishing weights). Adding even more ballast on the centreline will only make the matter worse. Unfortunately the beam of your model is quite small but I would still recommend a bath test by placing weights either side as far apart as possible, but also check that there is no immbalance of weight in your superstructure.
When I built GG's HMS Ivanhoe I actually added a weighted skeg below the vessel. It helped but as I mentioned before it still heeled over in the turn but that was an overpower/torque issue.

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2014, 12:56:46 pm »

Having gone through your photos again I notice your rudder servo is on one side, did you compensate for this with weight on the other side? This may account for the list having a preference to one side trather than the other.

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2014, 02:36:53 pm »

Cheers Deadbeat, I'll give this a try later on.
I was countering the weight of the servo by placing 5 grams extra on the other side, as I say I could get the Hull balanced, just adding the structure made it lean!

Suppose I should go fill the bathtub up again!
Cheers,
Steven  :-))

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2014, 03:44:40 pm »

Do you know any roofers?
Offcuts of flashing could be used along the bottom of the hull?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2014, 03:59:40 pm »

Well, the good news, she floats and stays upright!  :D
The bad news, I think the wind is going to be too strong for sailing tomorrow! That and I still need to wire it all up...
Anyway, it took 350 grams of weight (excluding the motor, servo, ESC and battery pack), with 270 grams in the stern area alone, just to get it to stay upright, but it definitely knows which way is up now!

And a quick video showing it righting it self from quite a way over!
http://youtu.be/5soy61wnXq0

Hopefully I should have it all wired up and running by the end of the weekend. Still need to add the little details on the deck at the back and front, then time for the final paint colours and picking the details out, and, well that will be it!
Cheers,
Steven

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2014, 12:17:56 pm »

Well done on the stability front. Take care when you do trials especially on the turn, gently gently should be your philosophy. Your rudder area looks quite large for the model so you need to gain experience on the influence of the rudder especially when hard over. You will probably find that it will heel over more on one side than the other and this will be due to the influence of the props direction of rotation, again take care if you're tempted to do a hard over turn at top speed - a difficult one to resist I know.
Good luck

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2014, 02:41:21 pm »

Cheers Deadbeat,
I wired it up this morning and took it to the lake with me, it was really windy and choppy, however there was one sheltered corner when I managed to sail it.
It does roll fairly easily, moving the rudder whilst moving seems to have a big influence to make it roll , however when going in a straight line she runs quite nicely.
I decided to walk it back round to the choppier side of the lake, where it was very windy and choppy. It coped exactly as I expected, the wind was just far too strong. So I think I'm going to have to return on a very calm day to see what it really handles like!

I'll upload some pictures and a bit of video later,
Cheers,
Steven

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2014, 04:23:25 pm »

River class, are they based on the Castle class?, the picture looks deceptibly similar to the upgraded version of a corvette. loving this though.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2014, 07:35:37 pm »

Don't be afraid to reduce the blade area of the rudder, I had to with my HMS Ivanhoe. Trial and error is the name of the game here!

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2014, 09:02:27 pm »

Warspite, according to Wikipedia, the River class was the succescor to the Flowers, and the castle's came after the Rivers, but not directly based on them  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle-class_corvette#Design

Deadbeat, I think that could be one of my options. I would like to try it out on a calmer day before I start butchering anything, as todays would have been nothing short of a hurricane in 1:1 world! I suppose the advantage of using an off the shelf rudder is that if I do mess it up, the model shop is only in town...

Cheers,
Steven

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2014, 09:07:09 pm »

Heres a couple of photos and a bit of video on Sunday just to give an impression of how it went. As I said before, it was very windy!

And the video, which was shot in the calmer part of the lake, the above photo was the choppy part!
http://youtu.be/04Z9bKSQ614

Cheers!
Steven

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2014, 11:30:08 pm »

Hi Steven,

That's rather frightning to see the model heel so much in the wind...

I would consider a keelfin and bulb from a Micro Magic to calm the hull down.
I've seen it done a number of times with great succes.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

crock

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2014, 03:39:25 pm »

Hi Steven,

I've been following your build with interest as I was also thinking of building this model but at the bigger scale (37")  Re the comments on putting weight on either side of your boat, I think I would be tempted to add a little bit more at the sides but front and back or fore and aft should I say.

I've built the Matchbox corvette and probably ballasted it a bit too much but it's looks quite good out on the water, there are a few pics on here I think under wee Corvette in rough seas.

Anyway, well done and thanks for posting your build as it will help me enormously if I ever get around to-it !!!   Still working on the new shed and it's nearly gardening season  ;-/

Regards

Crock

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2014, 08:01:10 am »

Well done.

It looks great on the water. A couple of heart stopping moments with the wind though  ok2

All the best
Sandy
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.