Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New member from crawley  (Read 2547 times)

bert uk

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
New member from crawley
« on: December 31, 2013, 06:19:55 am »

hi all names bert and im from sussex,like to share my recent experiences  that brought me here,xmas morning wake up and unwrap?a helicopter from the mrs!!yaaaay!! boxing day,weather ok took it out for first flight and.after watching previous easy videos on the tube,..it went 200ft in the air...the earth lead came undone and boom,it went into the ground like a tent peg!all teh interest dissapeared instantly,so ,back to the tube and...ah ha!!ill go and buy an easy glider!! a foam one,,oh yes...came home put receiver in it,,,went to local field and...crunch....came home...hot glue...crunch... <:( repeat until un airworthy.by this time the front was bent,a tip here,watch the tube and see someone fixing it with hot water,done that and now it looks like a fish that died of "dropsy" {:-{

well...by this time i was pretty p'ed off with the whole idea.mrs saying.you broke it blah blah blah...waste of money blah etc.
then.i digress,as i do, {-)

i remember all my childhood days on holiday,bought a kite,came back to caravan with sad face and a bundle of sticks and cloth,in fact this happened every holiday,later on mate had a "proper"kite...£300+carbon rods etc...watched him fly it...easy...i had a go....blam...into the ground it went :embarrassed:

a curse of flying things had came back to haunt me,i have been offered a passenger place in a twin engine piper....but refused!! {-)

so....after all this ive ended up with quite a few electrical bits and have,quite rightly,taken an interest in boats.i have waders,before you ask,and a few local lakes/ponds are quite shallow. %)
thanks for listening/reading. :-)

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
Re: New member from crawley
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 10:26:01 am »

Hi Bert, Welcome to the forum, lots of knowledgeable people here, I'm not one of them though! :-)

I'm just down the road from you in Horsham and have a very similar experience with things that fly. I have trashed a couple of helicopters and a couple of planes so far so now stick to ground based things, cars, trucks, tanks and boats.

Any idea what type of boat you fancy building?

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

bert uk

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 10:33:33 am »

not really craig,perhaps i need to meet up and discuss ,ive found  a hurdle already,i have 35mhz rx and tx <:( ,i have loads of gear here but most of it isnt going to be any use for boats,apart from battery(lipo)and esc 50a.however ill enjoy burning that foam glider!! {-) cheers for the reply.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 10:37:48 am »

Ah, that's a pain, 35Mhz is meant to be reserved for flying things.
What radio gear is it you have? I have a reasonably old Futaba FF6 set that was originally 35Mhz but I converted it to 2.4Ghz with a small amount of soldering and a £30 kit. Works fantastic now. You do need to buy a new receiver too though.

If the radio gear is new I guess you could always sell it on and get another 2.4Ghz set then that will cover you for all future models you may build.

Craig.

bert uk

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 10:49:21 am »

taken to pm's  :-))

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 12:24:14 pm »

i remember all my childhood days on holiday, bought a kite, came back to caravan with sad face and a bundle of sticks and cloth,in fact this happened every holiday, later on mate had a "proper" kite...£300+carbon rods etc...watched him fly it...easy...i had a go....blam...into the ground it went :embarrassed:

Is Bert your real name? Seem to recall Charlie Brown had problems with kites?   :}

Regards  Ian

PS leave submarines alone  :-))
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

bert uk

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 12:27:58 pm »

Is Bert your real name? Seem to recall Charlie Brown had problems with kites?   :}

Regards  Ian

PS leave submarines alone  :-))

ok ,ill leave subs alone but only if you dont invite me to fly!! {-)

BJH

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 10:07:52 pm »

Hi Bert,

Do you know about the Southwater Dabblers Model Boat club. We are based at the Southwater country park and the club website http://dabblers.wikispaces.com/ will give you more details.

Sailing days are most Sunday mornings and Friday afternoons but the web site will give you more details.

New members are always welcome, and members will be happy to give you advice.

BJH.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 10:16:12 pm »

I live just round the corner from the country park in Southwater. I have been to one of your open mornings and have watched a few yacht races.
Haven't quite got around to bringing my tug down there yet though, maybe when it warms up a bit. :-)

Nice lake too.

Craig.

bert uk

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 10:39:08 pm »

Hi Bert,

Do you know about the Southwater Dabblers Model Boat club. We are based at the Southwater country park and the club website http://dabblers.wikispaces.com/ will give you more details.

Sailing days are most Sunday mornings and Friday afternoons but the web site will give you more details.

New members are always welcome, and members will be happy to give you advice.

BJH.

thanks for that.i have watched a few videos of you there.do you still go to tilgate lakes? :-))

BJH

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 09:43:35 am »

Hi Bert,

I believe the "Puffins" group sail at Tilgate on Tuesday Mornings sometimes, but as I am usually at work then don't know much more than that.

Southwater country park is around 13 miles drive from Crawley and the parking is free, and the Café very good. The lake is sheltered by trees which makes the wind strange for sailing sometimes, but is fine for motor craft.

The SWD club is far more active than the Crawley group.

BJH

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 01:21:18 pm »

Bert and Craig, many of the members of the Dabblers are also members of the Horsham Model Flying Club, get to the café on Friday lunchtime or Sunday morning, make yourself known and I am sure you will get plenty of help with boats, helicopters and planes. I was one of the original members of the dabblers and I also run the Charity Model Boat Show at Alfold each year. Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.