Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Member ........ Taking on a big bite.  (Read 3106 times)

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
New Member ........ Taking on a big bite.
« on: December 31, 2013, 09:54:47 am »

Hi All,

I just joined up ........ I've been been building (plastic) scale models for years and a few balsa projects just as an exercise. I've decide to have a go at a RC Tug. So I bought the "OCCRE ULISES"........ It might be a big bite to chew but we will see what I can come up with. No doubt I'll need a bit of help along the way, but I'll try not to make a nuisance of myself.

Peter
Cheers
Peter

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New Member ........ Taking on a big bite.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 10:03:17 am »

Looks like a nice kit  :-))   Good luck with your build  :-)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 10:24:18 am »

hello Peter and Welcome to this Forum

I take it that you are the member who was asking questions about the build of this tug on the Model Boats forum?

and if you are, we may be able to help you a little easier on this forum.

Some of the builds and some of the questions you may get your answers for by reading some of the topics.   I note on the forum you ask a question about the building board.   Now, I have done a websearch on your kit tug and I note on a French forum there is one being built there.   You will see how he uses a building board and also fastens the frames onto support blocks which, in turn, are located on the building board.

To explain the above method better, if you have a read on the Cervia tug build on this forum, under the Masterclass heading.  This explains how the building board is used and the reason for it being used.   Also, if you go over to the Model Boats forum and have a look under my (Bluebird's) photo album for the Surfurey, in amongst them, there are several photographs which I copied from the French website showing how the member on there has located the support blocks onto the frames of the model.

Any more questions - either shout on here (you may get a quicker response) or try asking on the other forum.

happy building.

one rule of this Forum - there must be loads of pictures of your build  :-))  cos we all like that on this Forum  O0  .

Aye

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 03:17:10 pm »

Looks like a nice kit  :-))   Good luck with your build  :-)

Thanks Mark ...... and I think I might need some luck on it.
Cheers
Peter

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 03:33:55 pm »

I take it that you are the member who was asking questions about the build of this tug on the Model Boats forum?

Some of the builds and some of the questions you may get your answers for by reading some of the topics.   I note on the forum you ask a question about the building board.   Now, I have done a websearch on your kit tug and I note on a French forum there is one being built there.   You will see how he uses a building board and also fastens the frames onto support blocks which, in turn, are located on the building board.

To explain the above method better, if you have a read on the Cervia tug build on this forum, under the Masterclass heading.  This explains how the building board is used and the reason for it being used.   Also, if you go over to the Model Boats forum and have a look under my (Bluebird's) photo album for the Surfurey, in amongst them, there are several photographs which I copied from the French website showing how the member on there has located the support blocks onto the frames of the model.

Any more questions - either shout on here (you may get a quicker response) or try asking on the other forum.

happy building.

one rule of this Forum - there must be loads of pictures of your build  :-))  cos we all like that on this Forum  O0  .

Aye

John

Thanks for your reply John........ Yes that was me.

I found the French build you mentioned and whilst I have absolutely no grasp of the language I can see the board / jig he I using...... That is what I'm figuring on knocking up.

I also heard of one chap who built the keel and frames upside down. But I think using a jig, providing I get everything "square", will be the way forward. Then up-end it and clamp it securely to the board until I get some planks on to keep it in square.

I'll take a look at the other reference you have given me before I do anything. I like to take my time when I'm building and experience (mistakes we learn from. Hopefully) from building scale models has taught me patience......... I'll probably be ready to start in one form or another at the weekend.

......... and yes, I'll take plenty of photos for my build thread.
Cheers
Peter

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 04:36:54 pm »

happy building.

Aye

John

One thing I didn't consider (after looking at the "Cervia" build) was all the GRP work going on ......... Might just have been easier to buy a kit with a moulded hull ...... But then I guess there isn't the same satisfaction in the build????
Cheers
Peter

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 05:07:51 pm »

Hi Peter the covering on the hull is quite an easy part of the build so don't worry about it  :-))   I've just finished covering my first build and it was an awful lot easier that I thought it might be!
When you do get around to that part you can use finishing epoxy resin which gives you plenty of working time with very little smell or mess.
You are right about the satisfaction - Nothing nicer than a built up hull

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 06:02:16 pm »

hi there

When you read instructions for the build of your tug, does it give any indication whether you do a double planking?  Where you put your first layer of planks over the frames, sand and fill and then on top of that glue a 2nd layer of planking which overlaps and covers the joints in the first layer of planking.

Some Billings kits have this method and also I believe the magazine build of Bismark and Hood use this method.

If this is the method which is used for your tug build, there is no need to put tissue mat and fibreglass resin over the top of your planking, as in the Cervia build.  To seal the planking use what has already been suggested, Finishing Epoxy Resin, which is very straight forward and easy to apply, as long as you stick to what it says on the tin (but not literally :-) )  No need for matting.

As far as your method of building the frames and the keel goes - as long as it keeps the frames and keel square.

and also make sure the keel has no bend in it.

This is the advantage of fastening the frames to the building board first upside down; and then placing the keel into the correct slots of the frames.   This ensures that the keel is kept nice and square and the frames are vertical to the keel.

Also, it gives you a solid base for when you start to plank.

These are only suggestions; as your building skills and modelling advances, like everyone else on this Forum, you will have your own way of doing things and all of us modellers borrow someones idea and then adapt it to use themselves.

If that doesnt work - we tweek it a bit so it does work.

Happy Building, happy new year.

Aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 06:57:35 pm »

Hi Peter the covering on the hull is quite an easy part of the build so don't worry about it  :-))   I've just finished covering my first build and it was an awful lot easier that I thought it might be!
When you do get around to that part you can use finishing epoxy resin which gives you plenty of working time with very little smell or mess.
You are right about the satisfaction - Nothing nicer than a built up hull

Ok Mark...... It was just a bit of a shock to find that I'm covering the wood with plastic is all  {:-{. "I'll just have to suck it up" as they say.
Cheers
Peter

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 07:02:56 pm »

hi there

When you read instructions for the build of your tug, does it give any indication whether you do a double planking?  Where you put your first layer of planks over the frames, sand and fill and then on top of that glue a 2nd layer of planking which overlaps and covers the joints in the first layer of planking.

Some Billings kits have this method and also I believe the magazine build of Bismark and Hood use this method.

If this is the method which is used for your tug build, there is no need to put tissue mat and fibreglass resin over the top of your planking, as in the Cervia build.  To seal the planking use what has already been suggested, Finishing Epoxy Resin, which is very straight forward and easy to apply, as long as you stick to what it says on the tin (but not literally :-) )  No need for matting.

As far as your method of building the frames and the keel goes - as long as it keeps the frames and keel square.

and also make sure the keel has no bend in it.

This is the advantage of fastening the frames to the building board first upside down; and then placing the keel into the correct slots of the frames.   This ensures that the keel is kept nice and square and the frames are vertical to the keel.

Also, it gives you a solid base for when you start to plank.

These are only suggestions; as your building skills and modelling advances, like everyone else on this Forum, you will have your own way of doing things and all of us modellers borrow someones idea and then adapt it to use themselves.

If that doesnt work - we tweek it a bit so it does work.

Happy Building, happy new year.

Aye
john

I'll have to check on the "destructions" John ........ I should have qualified my original post a bit. The kit is a mail order and is due to me day after tomorrow (2nd) according to the courier tacking website........ I'm just trying to get together as much information before I open the box.
Cheers
Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.