Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NiMH Battery - An odd shape?  (Read 1721 times)

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
NiMH Battery - An odd shape?
« on: December 31, 2013, 06:09:51 pm »

Hi guys,
Dug out a speed boat I bought from Netto (yes, the cheap shop that was bought out a few year back!) for my younger brother to use when I take my boat for a sail.
Problem is, I think the battery is totally dud. I've had it on a normal charger for about 3 hours and there is no voltage coming out of it when I unplug it. Besides that, it only lasts for about 10 mins anyway!

So, my question is, does anyone know where I can get a 7.2v NiMH pack, preferably higher than 1800mah that is an L shape, like this:

I've searched google and a couple of well known online model shops but I can't seem to find anything. A normal 7.2v Racing pack doesn't fit unfortunately!

Cheers,
Steven

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
Re: NiMH Battery - An odd shape?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 06:14:35 pm »

Component shop would probably help you out with that problem.
They do make up battery packs as required.

john

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 07:18:38 pm »

looks like a set of lead acid batteries from an electric drill, 6 cells would give 7.2V, I used to make up new packs for drills by buying odds battery packs in the sales at b&q, then taking them out of the case and fitting into the old one,,
Grendel

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 01:00:11 am »

looks like a set of lead acid batteries from an electric drill, 6 cells would give 7.2V, I used to make up new packs for drills by buying odds battery packs in the sales at b&q, then taking them out of the case and fitting into the old one,,
Grendel
It looks like no SLA pack in the history of creation.  SLA packs are based on squared-off boxes.  They are also invariably based on multiples of 2 volts, that being the badic voltage per cell resutlting from the chemistry involved.  It does look a lot like a custom NiMH/NiCad pack.  In the case of NiMH packs, Component Shop could no doubt help, especially if given a picture.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 02:44:33 am »

It looks like a custom assembly of smaller NiMh cells. All in heat shrink. Most packs are like this but usually in more regular shapes.

Component Shop or anyone who makes packs should be able to help you.
Easy to do yourself if you have the means to solder at very low temps, so as not to damage the cells.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.