Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: speed controllers  (Read 6248 times)

tubby tomo

speed controllers
« on: June 22, 2007, 11:43:22 am »

help speed contoller gos flatout as soon as i switch on Ive had this prob before ???       but i cant for the life of me think what it was   

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: speed controllers
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 12:18:20 pm »

Make? Model?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 12:25:55 pm »

Hi  Tubby_tomo,

As already asked, make and model will make it easier, but it could be as simple as the servo reverse switch on your transmitter is switched the wrong way.

Bob

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 12:38:17 pm »

Also, as in my case, turn on the transmitter first.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Robert Davies

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 03:39:58 pm »

A few years back I had the somewhat unfortunate experience of being on the wrong end of a failed speed controller.....

It involved a 1/10 scale car, and a motor that put the speed controller into thermal shutdown, and appeared to all intents and purposes to be deader than a very dead dead thing, when it cooled off however, it became apparent that it had failed in a most unfortunate manner.... FULL ON!!

Oh.. the fun we had....

-Rob

tubby tomo

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 10:34:36 am »

the make of speed controller is eletronize     its a pal of mine so im not sure if hes sorted it the boat might be flying boat by now ???

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 10:54:17 am »

Tubby_tomo hi there

Electronize do several speed controllers - can you give us an indication of which one it is - this will be printed on the top of the casing.  It should be one of the following; FR30HX, FR15HX/HPR,FR12X,FR12VR,43HX/43HVR, it should I think be one of these.

If its 43HX/43HVR as you look down on top of the speed controller, there should be two holes in the casing.  One with neutral next to it, and the other hole has speed range next to it. 

If the speed controller you have is the above-mentioned (i.e. the 43HX - try this)

Switch the transmitter on first, and make sure your throttle stick is in neutral and then followed by switching your receiver on and then switching your main power on.    Insert a very small jeweller's screwdriver through the hole where it says neutral in the top of the speed controller and slowly turn it from one extreme to the other.  This will be either anti-clockwise or clockwise.  This should start to slow your motor down until it comes to a dead stop.

Once the motor has stopped, turn to your transmitter and move the throttle stick either up or down and this should give you either full forward or reverse.   If this is not the case, let us know, because there could be another problem.   Also, if it is the FR30HX style speed controllers (these dont have the relay sticking out of the top) - because then what we can do is set one up and assimilate and try and rectify the fault for you.

aye
john e

bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 11:01:18 am »

Is it a new installation or an original one that has suddenly changed?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 11:03:06 am »

My (elderly) electronise tends to give a mighty vroom when switching on for a few seconds while sorting itself out and getting in sync with the transmitter.  Any longer than this means that either the transmitter is signaling full speed or the ESC is broken. The likely culprit is the output transistor being switched on either due to that comonent being faulty, or due to whatever switches that on being "stuck".  A bit of damp on the printed board in the wrong place will do this very easily.
I believe that electronise do a very good repair service.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tubby tomo

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 01:47:43 pm »

its a 43hx hes tryed with a small screw driver just a quick word to all you very helpfull gents we have both been building boats for about 8 years this is one of those probs that crop up  sometimes  :-\ ive 6 tugs of my own will keep you posted what it was  many thanks

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 01:54:45 pm »

Just a tip , so as not to be rushed trying to find the problem with the motor running flat out, I use a bulb in place of the motor , no noise no rush , its just a rear car bulb.with a pair of crock clips, that I use to flatten nicads.

Peter

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 03:45:22 pm »

Hi again TT,

I have had this problem three times with this make of controller, and each time it has had to go back for repair.

The current repair cost is nine pounds 98 pence inc postage. They are very busy at the moment, so be patient.

Having said that, it could always be something else.

As already stated the normal cause is damp or water. (There is a difference, water is when your boat sinks)  :'(

Bob

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 05:23:59 pm »

hi there on a 43HX sometimes you get continuous running with no control of the motor if you have the positive and negative supply wires to your main battery around the wrong way.   Also, if you have wired up the red and black to your motor instead of the battery, you will get a short period of running and either pop the fuse or fry the output transistor in the unit which gives you continuous running with no control.

hope this helps.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2007, 06:52:05 pm »

On my FR30HX, the cause of the burn out was a motor supply lead shorting out on the motor case.

This was due to a temporary pond side fix, when the normal battery went flat during an extra long visit to the pond, and I used a battery from another model which was not a good fit.

Bob

PSSHIPS

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2007, 11:42:20 pm »

I had a similar, but, not the same problem with the said speed controllers, boat sailed fine for half an hour then both engines full ahead and no stopping them, this was with two independant ones, both from the same cotroller as in one each on seperate motors/ shafts., This happened on three different model ships, all new and set up correctly, I don't use them any more as I find them too bulky, it took all three attempts at phoning them before they realised they had a problem with them.
 They eventually admitted there was a fault after several other's reported the same thing and replaced them and all was OK after.

This was a few years ago now and I wouldn't have brought this up other than this thread being here.

I almost had to catch Bristol in an airborne net at one point! 3 grands worth of model, 60 quids worth of electronics poop!
 Paul...

PS, This does not reflect on the company, but, at the time as a modeller, I was a bit miffed to say the least!

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2007, 07:07:57 am »

On the good side i have not had a problem with electronise or any other esc ,which i have .any problems are due to my fault like the other daywhen trying nangee out at the pond ,plenty of power in reverse hardly out forwards ,swapped the wires to the motors nope ,turned out to be the tx 100% in reverse 17%forwards Doh!!
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2007, 11:51:13 pm »

RTFM, people. They're not put in there for fun.............. 8)
FLJ

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2007, 11:55:31 pm »

Unfortunately most people subscribe to: "When all else fails, read the instructions".

tubby tomo

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2007, 07:37:27 am »

hi peter i like your idea with the light bulb at least ill be able to see light at the end of the tunnel :D

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2007, 09:04:35 am »

...those have got to be some of the worst puns I haven't been the author of.
 - 'Doc

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2007, 07:23:11 pm »

while you lot are working out what wrong with tubby tomo's esc  can you also help with a prob a new member of the club is having with his electrics .
Tug boat
twin screw geared motors pos 540's
twin ripmax p-xtra quantum esc's
12v 7ah sla battery
700ma reciever battery.
problem
motors on seperate channels ,port motor forwards only and working in reverse (push stick a bit full power, push stick fully forward low power) starboard motor ok .
right on first look esc's designed for 5-10v ,is 12v ok?
BEC's still connected on both esc's aswell as reciever battery ,is that a no no?
would i be right to advise him to replace the esc's with another type more suited to 12v  and would 15a be enough concidering the ripmax ones are rated at128a continuose  ???
daz

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2007, 08:10:32 pm »

Hi Daz,

Where to start....  :D

If you have a reciever battery, BEC is a definate no-no. You risk backfeeding tinot the reciever battery and could damage it. If using BEC, only ever have one connected - if the two BECs have slightly different voltages you will get current circulating between then wasting power, making the BECs hot and shortening their life.

The problem with the ESCs - the port one operating in reverse, sounds to me like a single direction ESC with the channle direction reversed. If it iis the same types as the starboard one, it maybe that there is some setup needed.

Normally the output drives on an ESC should be good for 12V (actually about 13.8 for a fully charged SLA), thoug it could be on the limit depending on how the ESC is designed.  If you replace the ESCs with a different type, 15A should be sufficient.

Wom,
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2007, 10:15:27 pm »

If the label says an unusual maximum voltage, I would beleive it.  10 volts sounds like it was intended for a max of 8 NiCads.  The output transistors will probably survive but the components driving them might not.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2007, 11:02:43 pm »

that's what i think too wombat regarding the use of bec's ,but i think the port esc is ready for the bin .the esc's are both the same and if one dont do what the other does then it aint right ,the setup for them is fool proof (i will prob regret saying that)with only an on/off switch which also center's the esc on the sticks ,ie put the stick to the position you want for netural and switch the esc on.
Malcolm you are prob right about the voltage ,i think the esc's were prob intended for the car boy's whare a 8cell pack would be the norm .
i will report back to the chappy and give him the bad news .
daz

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 02:55:48 pm »

Tell him I'll give him a fiver for them.

Cheers.

Glenn
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.