Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: OCCRE "Ulises" Build.  (Read 27455 times)

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
OCCRE "Ulises" Build.
« on: January 02, 2014, 10:42:06 pm »

Hi All,

The kit arrived today. I'm really looking forward to bashing this together. It'll be my first attempt in wood, part from a couple of balsa kits. Mainly I've built plastic scale.........

I have a bulding board and all the various frame supports and keel clamp blocks to keep it all nice and square. Courtesy of the joiners shop in the unit next store to us at work. Proper good lads.

I spent the evening checking off the PIL against what's in the box (took bl**dy ages), and I think it's all accounted for.

So I'm good to go tomorrow night. I'll post up some photos along the way and updates on any modifications, problems and tantrums. Pretty much it'll be an "out of the box" build but I think I might alter a few things. I don't plan on micro detailing it but enough detail to make it easy on the eye......... I can't find much on the internet regarding whether or not this is a model of an actual tug, so I think it's more representative of a type of the early 20th century ocean going steam tugs........Unless someone knows different.So that leaves some room for "artistic Licence.

Cheers
Peter

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: OCCRE "Ulises" Build.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 12:41:10 pm »

Couple of hours since your post.... is it ready for painting yet?!  %)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 01:15:06 pm »

Couple of hours since your post.... is it ready for painting yet?!  %)

I put the last coat on before I set off for work this morning ........... I'll sort the rigging out when I get home.
Cheers
Peter

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 01:41:01 pm »

Ok First question .......... I know it's a way off but. I'm wondering about a motor for this thing. I have a:

MULTIPLEX PERMAX 600 BRUSHED MOTOR
With a 3:1 Gearbox (Apparently puts out 8000 RPM

So I'm wondering if that'll do the job???? Either with or without the gearbox ???

The Hull spec when done is:  Length: 830mm x 180mm Beam. - Prop Size is 40mm

Also, and I have no idea, What ESC rating should I have ???? The motor apprently needs 7.2 Volts...... and while we are on batteries. Should I use a sealed lead acid / nicad or Lipo ?????

(I think that's more than one question???)

Cheers
Peter

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 04:49:27 pm »

I would estimate that 15 amp  ESC  would be enough for this set up.   Don't forget a fuse in between it and the battery.

For a tug it's always nice to have some power so I would go the lead acid route.  As these come in 6 or 12 volts, you could try the lower one first on the motor and see how fast it goes.  It might be too slow with the gearbox connected. I would also check for room under the hull for a larger propeller as this will give her a better push through the water for lower revs.

Best of luck with your build

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 07:53:39 pm »

I would estimate that 15 amp  ESC  would be enough for this set up.   Don't forget a fuse in between it and the battery.

For a tug it's always nice to have some power so I would go the lead acid route.  As these come in 6 or 12 volts, you could try the lower one first on the motor and see how fast it goes.  It might be too slow with the gearbox connected. I would also check for room under the hull for a larger propeller as this will give her a better push through the water for lower revs.

Best of luck with your build

Ken 

Thanks Ken .......... So would I be better off just dumping the gearbox and using the 600 motor as a direct drive with 6v ????? As for the prop I think there is going to be room for a 50mm or maybe even 55mm

Cheers
Peter

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 10:16:10 pm »

Yes indeed.  A straight motor running a 50mm prop would push her through the water OK.  Mind you, on 12 volts you can cruise for hours.     :}

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 10:43:48 pm »

Would 12v not be too hefty for the motor rated for 7.2v ?

Cheers
Peter

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 10:59:20 am »

I would hesitate to try on 12 volts.  :embarrassed:   I was thinking of another motor as they are not that expensive.  There are plenty around that size for under a tenner.

Me and Stavros like the 900 range for tug power and silent running.   %)

Cheers

Ken

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 06:44:31 pm »

I would hesitate to try on 12 volts.  :embarrassed:   I was thinking of another motor as they are not that expensive.  There are plenty around that size for under a tenner.

Me and Stavros like the 900 range for tug power and silent running.   %)

Cheers

Ken

Thanks Ken ......... I'll do some shopping.
Cheers
Peter

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 07:07:03 pm »

hi there Peter

ACTion used to do a motor - 555 - and this was 12 volt - I use it on 7.2 to drive a 4 blade 50 mm diameter prop and it pushes the tug along quite well.

I believe there are other sources of the 555 motor if Component Shop doesnt have one - I do know RS stock it.

I will post a link to a tug which I built a while ago - it's slightly smaller but, as I say, it has an ACTion speed controller in it.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,27894.0.html
aye

John

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 07:10:09 pm »

I've got the false keel together, reinforced the stern, fitted a couple of formers in the bow and cleaned up the rest of the formers.......... and now she is in dry dock.
Cheers
Peter

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 07:24:15 pm »

hi there Peter

ACTion used to do a motor - 555 - and this was 12 volt - I use it on 7.2 to drive a 4 blade 50 mm diameter prop and it pushes the tug along quite well.

I believe there are other sources of the 555 motor if Component Shop doesnt have one - I do know RS stock it.

I will post a link to a tug which I built a while ago - it's slightly smaller but, as I say, it has an ACTion speed controller in it.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,27894.0.html

aye

John

Thanks John ......... Now I'm a bit confused (it's difficult going through life confused, but I'm kind of used to it now) ...... If I can get a 7.2 volt NiCad then that'll run the 600 motor I have as that is rated at 7.2v ????? and put a 50mm prop on ???? .......... or is the 600 motor junk now ??? ............

or am I missing something here ???

......... and if I can run the 600 motor on a 7.2 NiCad then how long would it run on the water ???

I have an account with RS Components, tried their website but it's down for maintenance at the moment .......
Cheers
Peter

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 08:47:03 pm »

Hi Peter good to see you build is underway  :-))

The way I see your motor issue is that you are going to spend a very long time and put a lot of effort into your build

Personally I would get yourself a decent 12v motor as suggested.  Also you may need quite a lot of ballast to get your boat to float correctly on the waterline which could be partly offset by a heavy 12v battery.  Obviously you won't know this until much later in your build but you can relax knowing that you have decent motor which is more than capable and you have opened different battery options too

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 09:17:19 pm »

Hi Peter good to see you build is underway  :-))

The way I see your motor issue is that you are going to spend a very long time and put a lot of effort into your build

Personally I would get yourself a decent 12v motor as suggested.  Also you may need quite a lot of ballast to get your boat to float correctly on the waterline which could be partly offset by a heavy 12v battery.  Obviously you won't know this until much later in your build but you can relax knowing that you have decent motor which is more than capable and you have opened different battery options too

Thanks Mark
I apologise for being a bit of a "plank here" but this is new ground for me.........

I just did a search and found this on "Evilbay" .........

Johnson 600 size 
3 - pole electric motor with integral cooling fan.
Two flux rings offering high torque motor.

Originally specified for Black and Decker power tools, these motors are of the highest quality and recognised as one of the most useful model motors currently on the market. Very popular for model boats and with suitable gearbox for electric flying models.

Suitable for 6 - 12 volt applications.
No Load speeds approx.

4.8V 1.7A 8500 RPM
6V 1.9A 12000 RPM
7.2V 1.9A 13500 RPM
9V 2A  20000 RPM

Dimensions: L65mm, D36mm, Shaft diameter 3.2mm Off load Current: 1.57A

It is £ 4.99 including delivery ............ Will that do the job ????
Cheers
Peter

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 09:26:37 pm »

What I did was phone Westbourne Models and told them what I was building.  They then supplied the appropriate motors.  This way you will always have someone to go back to should you have any issues unlike Ebay.  Better to buy right the first time  O0

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 10:28:16 pm »

hi there

You need a motor which will give you an rpm of between 8,000 to about 15,000 - that Johnson motor revs far too fast - I have 2 of them in an RAF Launch driving 35 mm props on 7.2 volts and it makes the RAF Launch plane, that 555 motor which I mentioned is a 12 volt motor.  If you check the specs, I thinks its about 13,000 on 12 volt.

aye

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 08:37:40 pm »

Thanks to All............ I think I understand the motor / Battery thing.......... Now I have a question about propellers ??? THe kit comes with a plastic prop ( 3 blade 45 mm) ......... We have established that maybe a 50mm prop would be good/ I was looking on the Westbourne models website at brass props and, .......... We have type A, C and D type props ......... 3 or 4 Blade ????

So which type do I go with ????

Cheers
Peter

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 10:18:31 pm »

I have all the frames in now and I've added a few reinforcing fillets here and there. I've done loads of measuring and I'm confident I have a true and square hull form......... More by luck than anything so it's a bit of a relief. I've dry fitted the deck and that all lines up with the locating tabs so I reckon that's a major result  :D

Next up (and I know it's out of sync with the build instructions, but it's easier done before the planking) I'm going to dry fit the prop shaft, motor and mount. Just to make sure it all lines up and a bit of  fabrication forward as a base for stowing the radio gear and battery.
Cheers
Peter

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 05:16:16 pm »

I've epoxied the four screws into the motor mount so I have four studs to bolt the alloy mount to.......... The mount is in and the motor aligns nicely with the propshaft .........

Just started on the hull planking  :-)) ............ This might take a while.  {:-{
Cheers
Peter

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 10:19:01 pm »

I've started the planking on the hull ............ I have four rows on each side coming up from the Gunwales ........ So far, it's been fairly easy (if a little tedious). But I can't help the nagging feeling that I'm doing something terribly wrong  {:-{
Cheers
Peter

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 09:00:13 pm »

I have 4 rows now from the keel ............ and four from the Gunwales. So now I'll start working toward each other. It's a bit of a "hatchet Job" at the bow right now. I'll see what it looks like when its trimmed and shaped. I might end up chopping them off flush with the first bulkhead former and putting two balsa blocks in and shape them..... We'll see.
Cheers
Peter

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2014, 07:51:26 pm »

The planking is coming along ......... Starting to see some progress now.

Cheers
Peter

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 05:57:31 pm »

I've finished the planking ......... and ground off the heads of the pins on one side so far with a dremel.............. After I do the pins on the other side I'll leave it a for a day or two to led everything harden off .......... and then a lot of tidying up and sanding.
Cheers
Peter

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 09:25:50 pm »

As 'er indoors is doing much complaining about the noise while I was trying to finish grinding off the brass pin heads with the Dremel.......... I started on fitting out the inside. I already have the motor mount in place so I put the motor back in and have fashioned a servo mount for the rudder operation. To Starboard and just forward of the motor. The servo mount on the plan is aft of the motor but I reckon it's a stupid place to site it as there is zero clearance from the deckhead and it would foul on the gearbox anyway..... So I've moved it. I don't have the rudder post in yet but I clamped the horn where it will be .......... I'm going to run a length of Bowden cable for the rudder actuation........ The speed controller will be on the port side directly opposite the servo.......... The receiver will be well forward of these so I should get any interference from them. .......... I guess normal service on the hull preparation will have to wait now until Saturday.
Cheers
Peter
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.