Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: OCCRE "Ulises" Build.  (Read 27463 times)

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
Re: OCCRE "Ulises" Build.
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 10:29:15 pm »

A couple of photos of my evening's endeavours with a servo mount............. The ESC will go where the blue Robbe card is placed. I hope it isn't going to be too close to the motor and cause some kind of interference ?????
Cheers
Peter

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2014, 09:27:08 pm »

I've been busy working on fitting out the interior.............. The original (according to the destructions) set up for the rudder was a bit naff ......... The servo mount was aft of the motor and operated the rudder with a rather untidy "bent piece of wire????  I had to move te servo anyway as it fouled on the gearbox........... So I had a rethink on the whole setup. I moved the servo forward and to starboard of the motor and mounted it vertically as opposed to the original horizontal position......... Next a "Bowden cable. Drilled the top of the formers and epoxied that in place........ The original tiller arm is a bit of a flimsy affair Bottom one in the pic) so I replaced it with a servo arm, drilled ot to accept the locking collar and grub screw........ The Bowden cable works well. Runs easily and freely in the tube, will give plenty of steerage from a lot of rudder angle..........and looks a lot tidier than a bent piece of wire.

I also now have a mount for the Speed controller (which I'll fix to using self adhesive Velcro)........... a mount for the receiver (Velcro again) ........ and the 6v lead acid battery fits in forward...... it's a bit of a squeeze and has to go in at "a jaunty angle"......... Bit it fits and that's all I need.

......Ao now I can carry on with the hull.
Cheers
Peter

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2014, 05:46:19 am »

Hullo Peter.........many kits are understandably made to a price  O0

However many builders see certain attributes that could be installed or modified to provide a more reliable or better design build

Bowden cables is such rudder applications may be an improvement.......however even running in a nylon cased tube.....if it is a true cable construction is subjected to PUSH-PULL forces which by consideration is not really conducive to long term life <*< [stranded wire is designed to be used in tension..........not in compression]

However two Bowden cables....one on either side of the balanced rudder attachment>>>>>>to the servo arm balanced attachment ...when adjusted is a balanced mechanical element  :-)) .....Derek   

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2014, 12:20:45 pm »

Hi Derek............ Thanks for your post. This whole build is a bit of a learning curve for me..........

The cable is a fairly rigid outer with very little friction.......... The inner cable appears to be "plaited rather than stranded........... I can run a second cable without too much difficult and did consider it. But haven't done so yet as it didn't seem necessary as we are looking at a low speed tug here as opposed to a high performance race boat ................. But, if it's a "must do" I'll run a second cable'

Cheers
Peter

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2014, 12:22:36 pm »

What Derek is advocating is called a closed loop system over here or Pull Pull in the Western colonies. Easy to fit at building stage and gives a slop free steering system. With careful thought it can be installed so that the servo could be removed (for replacement) without breaking into the loop. As an addition, the "Cables" are normally fishing "Trace" wires.

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2014, 12:36:05 pm »

Hi Ian,

I can get to the servo for replacement very easily .......... It is sited under the rear hatch. ............. What I'm trying to determine is whether I really need the second cable??? .......... or whether or not it's a bit of overkill.
Cheers
Peter

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2014, 03:30:19 am »

Using these bowden cables, and /or closed loop lines, I always use them in pairs, real cheap insurance.
Use them on ALL my planes, and boats. Before this became standard practice for me I did have a few instances of models, both flight and boat, "rekitting" themselves, and the cause, always a failure in the directional control system. I also use the closed loop system on my sailing boat models
cheers
vnkiwi   :-))
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

inertia

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2014, 10:45:49 am »

Peter
By the time you have soldered a metal extender to the end of the stranded cable for a metal clevis or ball-and-cup connector to fit to the tiller arm (See SLO16-R on this page http://http://www.slecuk.com/catalogue/Control-Fittings.html) there will be effectively no "bendable" cable after the end of the outer tube. Indeed you may even need to trim it back. Closed loop systems, as has been mentioned, tend to use much thinner cable than you have there.
I have recently taken delivery of a Midwest Boothbay Lobster Boat kit - probably the finest wooden kit I've ever handled (how about a 94-page illustrated instruction manual AND a full-size plan?). For rudder control it uses - you've guessed it - a stranded metal cable of just 1.25mm diameter running in a nylon tube. I've no plans to use anything else. The model is 30" long, BTW.
DM

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2014, 08:07:21 pm »

Moving on from the rudder cable thing........

The inside of the hull (atleast the bit's I can get to has had a coat of acrylic varnish ........... For the second coat I've borrowed an idea from Martin's epic Bismarck build .........I'm going to line the hull with "Plasterers self adhesive scrim" and give it a liberal coat of varnish. I figure it can't do any harm and can onlt ad to hull integrity (maybe) ........ I've only done one section to see if it works. I'll check it out once it drys....... If it looks like it's well fixed in place I'll do the rest .......... If not I'll take it off.
Cheers
Peter

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2014, 08:49:42 pm »

Pity that when the muddy raters start hacking the posts about, they aren't as efficient at making sure links work!

Corrected this one for you Inertia, too many Https (again)

http://www.slecuk.com/catalogue/Control-Fittings.html

Regards   Ian.

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2014, 08:59:34 pm »

Pity that when the muddy raters start hacking the posts about, they aren't as efficient at making sure links work!

Corrected this one for you Inertia, too many Https (again)

http://www.slecuk.com/catalogue/Control-Fittings.html

Regards   Ian.

I did wonder why it wouldn't open???? Thanks
Cheers
Peter

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2014, 09:07:20 pm »

I definitely think these will be the way forward on the rudder............
Cheers
Peter

inertia

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2014, 11:04:59 pm »

SLEC do those, too - see same page (with only one http).
DM

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2014, 11:11:39 pm »

SLEC do those, too - see same page (with only one http).
DM
Yes. SLEC do the square ones which I think I will use. Easier to grip to get them tight.......a wee bit of theeadlock and "Job Done" :-))
Cheers
Peter

inertia

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2014, 08:59:23 am »

Peter
The ones shown are hexagonal section and you don't have to grip them because the sprung "washers" just push onto the shaft and lock there. Here's three installed in one of mine (if the photo thing is working):

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2014, 11:07:11 am »

That's the best looking tiller arrangement I've ever seen.     :-))

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2014, 09:31:30 pm »

I have bitten the proverbial bullet and run a second cable for the rudder. So we now have the "Holy Grail" of rudder systems in the form of a closed loop ........ Second cable takes a bit of a detour around the formers in a curve. But I've tried the inner cable in it and it runs freely. So Now I can get on and finish the "scrim lining........... The section I tried yesterday as dried and looks ok, it has adhered well so now I can do the rest of the hull......... and that is the inside done.

Then I can carry on with the outside.................... A few more photos tomorrow.
Cheers
Peter

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2014, 09:47:28 pm »

Peter
The ones shown are hexagonal section and you don't have to grip them because the sprung "washers" just push onto the shaft and lock there. Here's three installed in one of mine (if the photo thing is working):

Found them ............ SL063-R ............ But I also found someone on evilbay selling them. So I bought them there, SLEC wanted £4.34 inc postage for a pack of two ........ I bought a pack of four for £ 4.45 posted
Cheers
Peter

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2014, 09:43:05 pm »

Both Cables for the close loop steering are now in place.............. You can also see the trial area where I used the builders scrim and varnish.
Cheers
Peter

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2014, 11:59:19 pm »

Peter,

This builds lookin' great  :-))

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
Grp finishing over a planked hull question
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2014, 10:02:08 am »

I'm about to start on sorting out my planked hull ready for grp skinning........ My Occre Ulises is a bilge hull. The destructions just show paint over the wood and there is nowt about using GRP ...... and the destructions just show planking the deck and then fitting the Gunwales. So, I need to be adapting that a bit if I'm going to put GRP over the hull...... Assuming the hull is sanded and filled ready to go, and the ply deck is fitted. Should I fit the raised gunwhales and take the GRP to the top of them or do I grp just the hull and fit the Gunwhales after....... The reason I'm not sure here is: If I'm fitting the Gunwales and taking the GRP up to the top of them, then I have to plank the deck first and mask it up to protect it, as it is impactical, as far as I can see, to plank it effectively with the Gunwhales fitted........ I think all that makes sense ??????
Cheers
Peter

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Grp finishing over a planked hull question
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2014, 10:20:06 am »

You are a flamin' masochist.    O0    {-)

Regards   Ian.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2014, 10:33:29 am »

You also have STML....[short term memory loss] twas just a few days ago you agreed to keep all of the Q&A for Occre Ulises  in the one thread....... >>:-( Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2014, 11:14:50 am »

You also have STML....[short term memory loss] twas just a few days ago you agreed to keep all of the Q&A for Occre Ulises  in the one thread....... >>:-( Derek

Whhooops !!! ...... Sorry  :}

It is in one thread............ I'm not posting this in the Occre Ulises Build thread....... Once I have the answer(or probably 15 different ones  :-) ) ......... I'l post in the build thread about how I do it ....... or is that being pedantic ????

Perhaps someone with the technical cahooneys could move it across there for me....... and i promise not to do it again.
Cheers
Peter

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2014, 11:20:05 am »

You are a flamin' masochist.    O0    {-)

Regards   Ian.

{:-{ ........ I'm in trouble again.
Cheers
Peter
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 23 queries.