Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: OCCRE "Ulises" Build.  (Read 27458 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Grp finishing over a planked hull question
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2014, 11:27:41 am »

Nice to keep  the thread all together          :}

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
Re: OCCRE "Ulises" Build.
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2014, 11:37:28 am »

Peter,

This builds lookin' great  :-))

Mark

Thanks Mark.........Appreciated.
Cheers
Peter

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2014, 11:50:31 pm »

Hull has had a bit of a rub down, a bit more to do yet. Aft raised deck is planked and deck is fitted............. I've also made up a saddle clamp out of some ply just to make sure the lower (port side) outer cable stays put........
Cheers
Peter

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2014, 05:31:36 pm »

Spent today rubbing down the hull some more and shaped the raised deck, managed to get out in the garden to do it. Then I plastered the outside with some filler, with my beloved moaning about the smell. I decided on UPOL Quicksand .......... It seems to be taking it's time drying. I just hope I used enough hardener ???? I have no idea  long it takes............... {:-{
Cheers
Peter

Stavros

« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2014, 07:15:43 pm »

OH dear ME OH dear ME sorry to say this BUT another member who didnt read my article in the paint section regarding fillers................BEST of luck with that one.........

Very slow to go off and a tendancy to have air holes in the surface when it is hard

Dave

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2014, 08:19:06 pm »

OH dear ME OH dear ME sorry to say this BUT another member who didnt read my article in the paint section regarding fillers................BEST of luck with that one.........

Very slow to go off and a tendancy to have air holes in the surface when it is hard

Dave

It was either that or Polyfilla ..........

I knew I should have gone for a GRP Hull........ Life would have been so much easier  {:-{
Cheers
Peter

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2014, 09:17:18 pm »

........and now. We have hit our first major crisis. It had to happen eventually. :((

As I suspected. I haven't used enough hardener in some of the filler and after 2 days it's still soft. So I've spent most of the evening scraping it off. Luckily the areas at the bow and stern are ok for some reason..... It's just along the sides. Also, this stuff is supposed to be "Easy Sanding" ..... That might be the case but, I've used a tone of abrasive (but then I think I was a bit over zealous with the filler in some places  {:-{) ......... So tomorrow, I'm taking it into work and I'll get myself into the joiners shop next door. They have all manner of Rotary Sanders (big and small) ....... That'll deal with it.......  <*<
Cheers
Peter

Stavros

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2014, 10:34:56 pm »

use it as a first skim and then use EASYLIGHT available form HALFORDS...............doesnt matter if u put it on thick or this it is so so easy to sand NOT LIKE THAT STUFF you have got.

Filler ratio is simple..........golf ball size of filler ...............Pea size of hardener.............thats the CORRECT ratio

Dave

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2014, 10:43:48 pm »

Thanks Dave ............ I definitely "shorted" on the hardener.

I'll go get some Easy Lite tomorrow.

Cheers
Peter

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2014, 09:48:48 pm »

Well I got most of the filler off ........... The orbital sander worked a treat. The hull is now looking pretty good, smooth as a proverbial "baby's butt". I'm going to need a little bit more filling in the bow area......... Now the deck is on, it seems the top couple of planks have sunken on the curve and there is nothing in the way of a rebate to sit the bulwarks on when they are fitted. So I've stuck two pieces of plank on either side about 150mm long. I'll shape them to the correct curve and then that'll give me a rebate and a reference point for filling and final shaping of the bow area.
Cheers
Peter

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2014, 10:55:05 pm »

use it as a first skim and then use EASYLIGHT available form HALFORDS...............doesnt matter if u put it on thick or this it is so so easy to sand NOT LIKE THAT STUFF you have got.

Filler ratio is simple..........golf ball size of filler ...............Pea size of hardener.............thats the CORRECT ratio

Dave

I have finished sanding and the hull is in pretty good shape now ............. I've shaped the couple of planks I added to the bow, and I've checked it all over and marked the areas that need a bit more filler. Tomorrow I'll give this "Easy Lite a whirl on the last bits.

Cheers
Peter

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
Re: OCCRE "Ulises" Build - Prop Questions ?????
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2014, 11:12:16 pm »

Propellers ?????
The kit comes with a 40mm 3 blade prop, which I believe is right hand. At least I think that's what it is. To give forward propulsion it would turn to the right (or clockwise). I can fit a 45 mm prop in there and probably a 50mm but that might be a bit of a tight fit and get a bit close to the hull. Now bearing in mind that I have a 3:1 gearbox and the shaft is going in the opposite direction than direct drive. So do I now need a left hand prop ........ or doesn't it matter ???? Now as I'm going up a size I was going to get one the  Brass Raboesch props. So, should I stick with 3 blade or would I be better off with a four blade ??? ....... and then we have different blade types: A, C or D, .........????? Apparently type C are "low vibration recommended for Harbour Tugs" and Type D "High Output / Low RPM)

............. At least I'm asking this before I do it. That way I can't have done anything wrong  {:-{

Cheers
Peter

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2014, 12:10:35 am »

Peter.....I have read back to your original post on 01/02/2014.....

"I can't find much on the internet regarding whether or not this is a model of an actual tug, so I think it's more representative of a type of the early 20th century ocean going steam tugs"

So from this you have a few choices......

1. use the 40 diameter x 3 blade RH [plastic?] prop.....[RED plastic kit props are usually JUNK value]
2. change the polarity on your motor to reverse rotation
3. spend $ on 3 or 4 blade brass propeller's of differing diameters & blade geometry or pitch >>:-(

Why not spend a few hours researching prototypical tug vessels of similar displacement & design  %).........you may from there be able to understand the as installed propulsion & scale it down to suit your model........ :-))

Keep us posted ....but don't rush in & order something that you may be unhappy with  <*< later on......... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2014, 02:58:20 pm »

Peter.....I have read back to your original post on 01/02/2014.....

"I can't find much on the internet regarding whether or not this is a model of an actual tug, so I think it's more representative of a type of the early 20th century ocean going steam tugs"

So from this you have a few choices......

1. use the 40 diameter x 3 blade RH [plastic?] prop.....[RED plastic kit props are usually JUNK value]
2. change the polarity on your motor to reverse rotation
3. spend $ on 3 or 4 blade brass propeller's of differing diameters & blade geometry or pitch >>:-(

Why not spend a few hours researching prototypical tug vessels of similar displacement & design  %) .........you may from there be able to understand the as installed propulsion & scale it down to suit your model........ :-))

Keep us posted ....but don't rush in & order something that you may be unhappy with  <*< later on......... Derek

Derek,

I think you are right about the the "representation of a type" I spent hours on Google looking for anything. So I'm going to use a bit of "artistic interpretation" in the finish ok2

As for the prop ......... The plastic prop in the kit is a real cheap and nasty effort which I was planning to replace from the start even if it was the same size..... When I originally started this kit I did have it suggeted that with the motor being stepped down that a larger prop might be good Voodoo .....I'm ok with reversing polarity to keep a right hand prop or indeed get it running whichever way ........ I was just wondering about size / type and blade numbers and what effect they have on performance / torque and if rotation vs left or right hand props have any effect ???? {:-{

Cheers
Peter

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2014, 08:57:55 pm »

I've started Planking the deck and I'm really not sure which is more tedious. Planking the deck or planking the hull. {:-{
Cheers
Peter

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2014, 11:49:41 pm »

Today's effort ............ Deck Planking. Has to be done before the Bulwarks go on . Then I can attack the GRP.
Cheers
Peter

inertia

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2014, 08:38:46 am »

Peter
Regard it as therapy for something you haven't yet suffered from.
DM

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2014, 09:35:36 am »

Peter...... :o

1. what scale is this?
2. what is the real deck planking dimensions?
3. are they true to scale?

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2014, 12:58:35 pm »

Hi Derek ....... The Scale of the kit is 1/30 .......... The planks are what was supplied with the kit at 6mm Wide x 0.6mm Thk.

Cheers
Peter

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2014, 01:14:39 pm »

7 Inch planks on the real thing then.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2014, 08:45:32 pm »

Ned....is this a statement or a question?  %) ....it's just that they looked a little wide........but maybe optical distortion  :embarrassed: being 22,000 km away  ;D .....Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2014, 09:46:12 pm »

Well I've finished the planking ........... and spacially distorted or not. I'm quite happy with the result. Hatch coamings are fitted. So now I have to fill in the black caulking / lines and get some matt varnish on them.

Cheers
Peter

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2014, 10:46:13 pm »

Afew pictures of the "spacially distorted" deck planking ......... I still have to trim up the raised bow. But that'll be tomorrow after the glue is properly set.

Cheers
Peter

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2014, 01:39:46 am »

Looks good to me  :-))

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

peter61_uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Permanently Bewildered
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2014, 11:35:39 am »

I've finished marking out the planking / caulking lines  .............. Now, a couple of coats of satin vatnish. Next question??? I guess there's no reason I can't use the acrylic stuff I used on the inside of the hull ???? ............ I'm not after a mirror gloss on the deck and I figure if the deck  really get's that wet then I've got more problems to worry about than what varnish I used  {:-{
Cheers
Peter
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.