Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Batteries in the post  (Read 1722 times)

hydrobob

• Full Mayhemer
Batteries in the post
« on: January 03, 2014, 01:01:50 pm »

As anyone ordered any lipos from Hobbyking and received them recently? I usually use Components Shop and I know they no longer use the postal service. However, I need a lipo for a special project and Hobbyking supply at a price I can afford so I asked them yesterday what service they use for the UK bit. Apparently it's the Post Office. Don't like the sound of that so any input would be appreciated.

luke1993

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Batteries in the post
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 02:29:32 pm »

post office told me its ok to send something with batteries or a battery as long as its not connected up true or not I don't know?
local post office told me that , but sending them air mail a different ball game

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 02:58:53 pm »

LiPo batteries can no longer be sent by air.

Hobbyking are now bulk shipping LiPos to their various warehouses, including the one at Ipswich.  Any U.K. LiPo order is now delivered by Parcel Force from the Ipswich warehouse.  You can order items from any warehouse in the world, but it will first be sent as part of a bulk delivery to Ipswich for onward delivery to you.

inertia

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 03:01:07 pm »

This from Component Shop's website http://www.componentshop.co.uk/postage-rules/
In my experience APC are at least as fast as Royal Mail for UK delivery on a good day. On one of RM's increasingly average days anyone can deliver parcels faster than they can - even City Link.
DM

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 05:32:49 pm »

This from Component Shop's website http://www.componentshop.co.uk/postage-rules/
In my experience APC are at least as fast as Royal Mail for UK delivery on a good day. On one of RM's increasingly average days anyone can deliver parcels faster than they can - even City Link.
DM

..... but City Link are much better at losing items - the larger the package the easier they find it lose it  O0 {-) %% {-) O0

Barrie

cabman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 05:41:31 pm »

I ordered some batteries last year from a well known model yacht component suppliers and they were very late although the supplier assured me they had been posted by return. They appeared a few weeks later after being sent from Devon to Belfast where the parcel was opened and searched by an anti-terrorist agency, repackaged and sent to Glasgow and then posted to me. Maybe why this is why people don't post anymore.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 05:50:34 pm »

The actual Post Office regulations are here - http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/Tell-me-about-Restricted-Goods

Clear as mud as far as I can see. O0 {-)

Barrie

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 05:53:02 pm »

..... but City Link are much better at losing items - the larger the package the easier they find it lose it

City Stink as I call them, they were supposed to pick up a parcel from our house.  I stayed in all day nobody arrived.  Phoned them up and was told the driver had reported it as being the wrong parcel. Contacted the firm I was returning it to they rearranged pick up.   I stayed in all day nobody arrived.  Excuse was nobody at home.  Contacted the firm I was returning it to again told them what had happened, they said they had loads of complaints and would send another company out, and would be changing courier companies which they did.

Joe  ok2 ok2 ok2
Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 08:26:02 pm »

Don't forget that generally batteries are weighty and their weight affects postage costs particularly from overseas.

Not uncommon, at least for Australia, that the post for a battery equals its cost, whereas some suppliers wont post at all.

Have also noticed that a lot of suppliers have stopped offering alternative delivery methods and only use "official" air mail service, supposedly because the item can be tracked. >>:-( >>:-( <*< <*<

This makes buying their products cost prohibitive no matter how good/suitable they are.  <:( <:(  Another example cast metal fittings.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

hydrobob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 11:58:15 am »

Thanks for that fellas. I worked in the courier/parcels industry for 20 years and always used Royal Mail for my own stuff! One thing I have noticed is people seem to want to tell you what they think you want to hear on despatch times rather than when they actually posted it! As to the regulations that's why I left the industry and became a cheese maker.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.