Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Servo Arc Extender & Servo Slowdown?  (Read 3997 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Servo Arc Extender & Servo Slowdown?
« on: January 03, 2014, 10:34:20 pm »

Guys.......

1. servo arc extenders seem common ... http://www.servocity.com/html/180o_servo_stretcher.html .....
2. however I can find little on servo slowdown devices

Is anyone aware of a combination extender/slowdown......or one of each that can be used with the one servo?...

Ideally I would like 180 degrees arc of movement x say 20 seconds fixed rate for that same arc of movement............Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Servo Arc Extender & Servo Slowdown?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 10:40:41 pm »

Would it not work by plugging a servo slow into an arc extender, and then that into the servo?

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 10:53:36 pm »

Derek would one of these do the trick......

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/p96-servomorph.html

Dave

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 11:05:38 pm »

Brilliant Stavros  :-)).....I have used ACTion gear from the original owner builder ..Craig 'Talbert?'....but was not aware of the P96 controller as used in the stretch mode.......... 

One question for DM...... it is my assumption that the Tx stick mid position [zero degree] remains functional? irrespective of the approx. +80 to -80 degree arc setting....... Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 11:10:31 pm »

WEY HEY I got it right ...........Component shop dammed good company to deal with...........well I would say that wouldnt I as they only 1/4 mile away HA HA .

Dave

inertia

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 11:27:09 pm »

One question for DM...... it is my assumption that the Tx stick mid position [zero degree] remains functional? irrespective of the approx. +80 to -80 degree arc setting....... Derek
Yes. Stick neutral will always be halfway between the end-points you select i.e. you can't set more movement in one direction just using P96.
HNY
DM

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 11:43:10 pm »

In that case the answer to his question is no ;)

But if it's not too far out you can adjust it with the trims.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 12:06:11 am »

Guys........the application is to slowly turn a chain actuated barn door rudder on a 1:20 scale model of the OZ PS Adelaide..........the oldest wooden hulled paddler still operating in the world........ %)

The 180 degree rudder total arc of travel was only used in real life when these paddler vessels were positioned in a lock [thus minimising any damage to the outboard rudder]........the 160 degree arc of travel will be fine for operation..... thanks all....... Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 05:00:22 am »

OK.......an ACTion P96 despatched from UK on 24.06.2014 & arriving in OZ 02.07.2014 is pretty good delivery  :-))...thanks Component-Shop  O0

Just one question for DM....... %)

1. For the position & slowdown function, wiring looms 1 & 5 are used
2. I assume it is OK to carefully wind wiring loom 3 into a circular loom & encase it within the case   {-)

regards Derek

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

inertia

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 09:16:42 am »

I assume it is OK to carefully wind wiring loom 3 into a circular loom & encase it within the case 
Yes, as long as you don't plug it onto any of the "spare" pins ('cos they ain't spare). Check that the little link is over the correct pair of pins for the mode you're using. There's a picture on the wiring diagram.
The actual amount of servo travel you will obtain depends on the type of servo and radio. For example, a Futaba servo with a Planet radio gives maybe 130 degrees, whereas a Hitec radio with a Hitec servo goes up almost to 180. If you have servo travel adjustment on your radio make sure it's set to maximum on that channel.
Dave

BTW I've just noticed from the photo that C-S have charged you VAT. That's just plain wrong (you're in Australia, for Chrissakes!).

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 10:25:05 am »

Thanks DM. :embarrassed:... I dreaded the night I plugged this in  >>:-(

1. the TX is a JR brand XF631
2. the RX is a JR brand R700
3. the servo plugged in is a JR 537....all purchased in the one set box

The ACTion P96 functions perfectly for the servo arc extender & servo slowdown.......as per the instructions :-))

4. question is ....when I turn the TX power supply switch OFF....& then giggle the ACTion P96 case around.......the JR 537 servo starts to squelch & gitter/shudder  >:-o...... Derek

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 10:50:37 am »

Oh dear  <*<...I forgot the RX battery circuit eliminator switch {or and fuse board} ..........that was not in the JR kit......Derek  {:-{
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

inertia

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 01:03:37 pm »

The ACTion P96 functions perfectly for the servo arc extender & servo slowdown.......as per the instructions :-))

when I turn the TX power supply switch OFF....& then giggle the ACTion P96 case around.......the JR 537 servo starts to squelch & gitter/shudder  >:-o ...... Derek
Reminds me of Tommy Cooper's joke:
"Doctor - Can you help me? When I do this it hurts." (Shrugs shoulder)
"I can fix it. Just don't do that".
If you turn off the Tx and leave the Rx on then all bets are off. Anything can happen.

Can't help with your second E-Mail (I didn't understand it......)

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 01:08:30 pm »

Yes, as long as you don't plug it onto any of the "spare" pins ('cos they ain't spare). Check that the little link is over the correct pair of pins for the mode you're using. There's a picture on the wiring diagram.
The actual amount of servo travel you will obtain depends on the type of servo and radio. For example, a Futaba servo with a Planet radio gives maybe 130 degrees, whereas a Hitec radio with a Hitec servo goes up almost to 180. If you have servo travel adjustment on your radio make sure it's set to maximum on that channel.
Dave

BTW I've just noticed from the photo that C-S have charged you VAT. That's just plain wrong (you're in Australia, for Chrissakes!).

Excellent pick up Dave  :-)) :-)) as I never paid Tax on any of my Action purchases nor other items from UK O0 O0

Derek, You would now have a credit with component shop O0 O0
Gunna build those other boats one day.

inertia

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 01:45:56 pm »

I took great pleasure in bringing it to the attention of Mr Iain "My computer system is perfect" Lewis, who for several years hasn't let me forget that I used to be a VAT Inspector. Fancy him paying the Revenue more money than he needed to. I shall dine out on that one for some time......especially if he's there!  8)
Dave M
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.