Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: My Tsekoa build - progress report!  (Read 20214 times)

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
My Tsekoa build - progress report!
« on: June 22, 2007, 06:17:48 pm »

Some nine months have passed since i last worked on my tsekoa, but three solid weeks of work and some minor heart failure and she looks like this:

The front crest on the plaque is photo etched, the deck lights all work, the rear flood light also works (anothers being built soon)

Topic name changed.... Admin.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
Re: At last an update on the Tsekoa
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 06:28:22 pm »

The crane is under construction, but this is what ive done so far.....

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 07:11:01 pm »

Another very nice paint job and build.

Peter

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 07:39:31 pm »

many thanks for the praise peter.

Regards: Voyager

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 01:31:43 am »

Looks good! Mine sits on the shelf waiting for me to get at it again as well. I like those small light housings - what did you make those from? Keep us informed as you go.
Mike

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 10:00:38 am »

Hi mike,

The working lights are all made from scratch, these are built from plasticard pieces for the base sections, while the cages for the lights are from fine brass lengths drilled and bent into shape. The first one or two i tried to build went a little wrong, but once i got the hang of it i went a tad mad and made twenty :P

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 08:37:56 pm »

Managed to get some more done on the Tsekoa II of late. The crane is slowly taking shape, the new additions are: Super detailed up the two roof search lights, exit sign on door, dingy crane built and fitted, started work on the dingy, started painting the Atlas crane,  scratch built the Atlas locking base.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 08:55:50 pm »

Oops...I forgot one!

Pointy

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 10:35:53 pm »

:o Fantastic work!!
What paints are you using and how are you applying them and what varnish do you use?

slewis

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 10:41:36 pm »

Voyager that is stunning work and a real credit to you

Shane

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 11:40:52 pm »

Thanks very much for the comments!!! Everything was primered first with Halfords acrylic spray paints, the white is from the Tamiya acrylic spray can range, crane, dingy, again Halfords, everything thing else was from the Humbrol range and was airbrushed on. The varnish is Ronseals Ultra Tough Satin Coat from B&Q, this was thinned with thinners and airbrushed on, it's brilliant stuff with just the right amount of satin shine, it's also waterproof (that being the most important bit ;)) and scratch proof.

Took another one of the detailed search lights.

I shall keep posting pictures as i go along....

bigfella

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 02:31:05 am »

Wow what great detail. A fantastic looking model. Keep the pics coming as it gives me the inspiration to get of my butt and get back to my PT Boat.

Regards David

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 11:52:28 am »

just been scratch building a front anchor winch. Rivets are hex shape strips of plasti-card cut to a rough length, glued on with super glue and then filed down to all the right height. The generator was something i picked up at Dortmund.

Having trouble finding the correct size drums for the ends, does anyone have any ideas as to where i might be able to obtain two?

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 01:23:23 pm »

Voyager,

You could always turn up your own to what ever size and shape you like..

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 02:09:56 pm »

I don't how i could go about that, I have only ever owned a dremel :-\

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 07:16:53 pm »

You can mount some dowling rod in a chuck and spin it up with some coarse sandpaper, until you get the right profile. Fill sand and prime until you have it right.

Andy

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 11:33:25 pm »

Precision Model Boat Fittings sell just the drums the chap who is the brother of Quay craft  they are sold by westbourn models

but there may be otheres available and selling them.

Peter

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 11:47:35 pm »

Oh that's excellent stuff, I shall give Westbourne a ring on Monday.

Many thanks for the sound advice! O0

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 02:13:51 am »

So far this what the front winch looks like, still some more parts to build and add on. The dinghy is coming along, more parts yet to be built and added, could be another week before that's complete. The spare anchor and fixing mounts are done and fitted. Realised tonight that i forgot to added a drain pipe to the top deck, not sure now that i have the room to fit one where it's suppose to go :embarrassed: Some serious pondering to follow i think!!!

Two graupner 6v smoke units ordered today, once they arrive i shall go about fitting them inside the superstructure.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2007, 03:29:07 am »

Voyager, it just keeps getting better - fantastic work  O0 O0. I was thinking of buying a Tsekoa kit myself, when we are in the UK next year, but you have set a very high standard, and I don't know if I could match it. Nevertheless, I will be able to use your photos as inspiration.
I look forward to more photos. :laugh: :laugh:
Peter.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 01:04:00 am »

Thanks for the praise Peter ;) I shall look forward to your build thread, have you seen the red and white colour option, you'll see an example posted on the model slipway gallery.

Regards: Wayne

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2007, 05:25:21 am »

Hi Wayne,
Yes, I have seen the red option and it appeals to me. I was thinking of buying the kit when we go to the UK next year. I will try to go to Model Slipway's factory and meet Lawrie and Jackie White, as I have dealt with them before and found them to be very helpful. I bought the kit for Sentinel from them, and was very happy with the build and the performance of the finished model. Unfortunately, it is very expensive to buy large kits in the UK and have them posted to Australia, as freight and import duty adds enormously to the price. However, as we will be in the UK, we could bring one back with us as accompanied luggage, and as we would be under the allowable limit for dutiable goods, would not have to pay any duty. We are also eligible for a VAT rebate. All this depends on approval by domestic authority (my wife) of course. :laugh: :laugh: I have been dropping subtle hints, and the early signs are good. O0
I am attaching a couple of photos of my Sentinel, which had its maiden voyage in August 2005. It spent several months on display in the local maritime museum earlier this year, before returning to active service. :)
Peter.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 01:14:37 am »

Wow....What a boat :o You've done a fine job there Peter i must say. I haven't seen one of these kits in the flesh for a while, from what i can remember it handled very well, no doubt due to the stabilisers. I have to say i prefer The Model Slipway kits to other makes, I too like the service i get from Laurie & Jackie (It's good to know that help is just a phone call away should things go wrong, as they often do with me! :embarrassed:) I'm rather tempted to buy the new multi-purpose tug from Laurie, need to finish off my current build first though, not to mention replenish my rather worn out wallet :'(
Depending on when your over next year, but it might be worth checking to see if any of our shows are on at the time of your visit, there's normally something going on throughout the year. I'll send you some pic's from one of our shows last year at Black Park.

Regards: Wayne

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2007, 01:02:07 pm »

Not done very much lately, sanded down the primer on the lower hull for it's final coat of Humbrol.  I have started work cleaning the many cast metal fittings, some are now painted and awaiting completion of the hull.  Radar units are built with transfers applied, fire buckets are built-painted and transfers applied. I decided on applying the odd spot of rust in places, hard to spot it unless your up close (less is more as they often say!)

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2007, 01:04:23 pm »

Quite a number of things to tidy up, paint touch up's, some hand rails slightly too long which require my attention, sometimes feel like i'm never going to get it finished :P

last one for now until i've done more worth showing!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.