Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: My Tsekoa build - progress report!  (Read 20197 times)

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
Re: At last an update on the Tsekoa
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2007, 10:50:52 pm »

Had some mixed results sinse i lasted updated you all :'( Nothing that can't be fixed may i add, but lets just say i had some rather bad results on the lower hull using Humbrol Satin varnish (mixed and put through an airbrush). Put simply the varnish went on OK, also looked fine when it was all dry!? But the stuff remained sticky :'( It was my own fault as i used Ronseal up untill this point, except when i opened the tin i found that the dreaded air had got to it and so was rock solid. Not to worry i thought, I'll give old Humbrol a try >:( Anyway, It just needs rubbing down and respraying and sealing with the proper Ronseal.
The mooring oval thingy's....sorry but it is quite a late posting! Anyway, they have now been built and added to the hull. The deck has been given it's final coat of brown, and the same final coat of blue for the inner hull sides, all now sealed with good old Ronseal O0 I decided to add a spot of rust to the base of the Atlas, I kept this realistic and subtle....that's all the weathering i shall be doing on this boat.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2007, 12:41:20 am »

Been hard at it lately (no jokes please ;D) I had to sand down the outer hull and repaint it again, this time i sealed in everything with Ronseal (should have done this the first time around ::)) The Prop-Shop props have been fitted now, along with numerous painted metal deck fittings like ventilators etc. The superstructure has now been satin varnished.
I was curious as the boat is starting to get quite heavy, but i needn't have worried as i tested her in the bath with plenty of weight to go! I would say that i'm almost through building her, not counting the electronic side of things i'd say she's about 93% done! I'm in the process of building the rear crane control platform, crane steps, pipework and other crane white metal parts. Once this is done i have some cleaning of the inner wheelhouse as everythings gone rather dusty looking! The glazing next once the inner wheelhouse has been sorted. Second to last on the list is the mast lights and navigation light, then finaly the kit supplied transfers.

I can almost see the finish line.....

A couple of pictures under early construction:

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2007, 12:55:27 am »

And i found a couple more...

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2007, 01:08:00 am »

Some latest pictures with new parts added:

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2007, 01:17:13 am »

Hi  Voyager . looking good , I like the fire buckets . if only I could paint instead of daub.anyway where did you get the deck plating and what size/scale is it.. Peter

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2007, 01:26:37 am »

Thanks HS93 ;D

The fire buckets came with the kit, all i did was make up some brass handles and fill the inside with epoxy resin and paint them up. The deck plating was purchased from the Squires Catalogue, It comes in a sheet of roughly A4 with different size raised domes (only two sizes used and the rest was thrown, aprox 200 tiles glued down to cover the deck). The boat is 1:32 scale, it's aprox 65% kit and the rest is all scratch built.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2007, 01:31:16 am »

...Oh, the letters to make up the Fire transfer came from the London Graphic Centre, then i sprayed a high gloss varnish from the Halfords spray range to seal them in.

For the electronics and running gear:

2x Monoperm motors.
2x Double couplings.
2x Prop-Shop props.
1x Graupner bow thruster.
2x 6v Graupner smoke units.
Complete working navigation and deck lights.
2x Working radar units.

Yet to buy:

1x 6v 4 amp power lead acid.
3x M-tronic speed controllers (not decided what models as yet)
4 ch+ Radio set.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2007, 06:34:49 am »

Voyager it was the Paint and Finnish that I liked. most of us can stick things together ,BUT it takes a lot as far as I am concerned to make it look as that..

Peter

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2007, 08:09:34 am »

Voyager,
Keep an eye on the motors when running her.
The Monoperm Supers are good little motors (about 5000 rpm) but some dont like the load that brass props put on them.
Some are fine, some get hot, just check them in the bath.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2007, 12:29:53 pm »

Thanks Bob ;) What gear ratio do you think would be best? I'm only after scale speed and would prefer to have more torque so the motors don't over heat.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2007, 03:31:35 am »

For the past two days i've been working on the crane control platform. I'm fairly happy with it now it's had some paint, still need to paint the control levers and ladder steps. I might add a tool box to the floor of the control box next :-\ Either that or some kind of fuse box, I just know it needs something? Also been working on the steps, textured foot plates added and all primed ready for painting later tonight.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2007, 01:42:07 pm »

Crane control platform painted and attached, although i think i'll give the chrome another coat and maybe a spot of rust to the under side of platform.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2007, 12:32:02 am »

Step now painted and in place! The neumatic cables have been made and fitted, I wasn't looking forward to that bit, kinda been putting it off :embarrassed: It wasn't as bad as i thought it would be :) Had one of those days we all get from time to time, you know when everything goes belly up >:( Spilt glue on a part i was working on and to top it i glued my fingers to the bottle!!!

Anyway, this is what i did just before i packed it in for the day!

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2007, 07:29:30 pm »

I decided to work on the crane again last night, I wasn't completely happy with the crane as it wasn't quite real enough :-\ I done further searches on the net and found some reference picture to aid my weathering. I mixed up some Winton Oils and gave the crane a wash of Paynes Grey, I picked out the areas where the dirt would gather and wiped any excess off with a cotton bud when dry. The last thing to add was paint chips, random paint shipping was applied all over but further extensive chipping was applied the hook end as this was an area that suffers the most. I'm very happy with how the crane looks now, just need to finish it off with a couple of metal parts, brass pieces for the cables to attached onto, then the cables to fit, last of all some metal looking sticky back plastic for the larger pneumatic piston....and then that section apart from transfers will be complete!
I also applied some light weathering to the engine stacks, light fading to represent smoke around the vents, again a few chips to bring to life, again I'm happy with that now so no further weathering will be applied there. I've now moved onto the main superstructure, weathering here will be quite subtle, scratches will be applied here and there, mostly around the door and door frame and that's about it. Next on the list will be some light shading with the airbrush on the deck area coupled with a few paint chips, the hardest part of weathering is knowing when to stop :-\ If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations then don't be frightened to voice them!

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2007, 07:32:24 pm »

here's the smoke stack.

Stavros

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2007, 10:09:12 pm »

You asked for this by asking for suggestions

DON'T SELL IT O0 O0

Stavros

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2007, 10:52:38 pm »

It's good to get peoples opinions who see things with a fresh set of eyes ;)

Advice well received Stavros, she's staying with me O0 O0 The thought of parting with it after all that work just doesn't bare thinking about!

Cheers Stavros

Life rings now painted and fitted, paint chips added to superstructure. I'll do some more later tonight if i get a chance?

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2007, 01:43:17 am »

Name plates now painted and fitted to hull, some areas require some touching up with black and a satin coat has yet to be applied. Some of the aerial units have now been painted and fitted, I added a blob of devcon to the ends to make them stand out and painted them bright orange to stop myself being poked in the eye! I have started painting the side rails in white, it will need at least three coats and each one being thinned down with thinners. The deck and hull has been lightly weathered with various thinned down dark greys through an airbrush , but being quite faint it doesn't show up with the flash on my camera that well, I'll wait until the weather improves and take some outside.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2007, 08:40:04 am »

Sorry to take so long to get back to you.
If the motors do get hot, just replace with 385 motors.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2007, 09:26:16 am »

Ok! Cheers Bob, it shouldn't be much of a problem to change them.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2007, 10:23:14 am »

Nice weathering!  O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2007, 02:28:37 pm »

Thanks Martin :)

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2007, 04:19:24 am »

Found something that should get my windows filled in, It's called solid water, It sets solid and crystal clear O0 The second thing i purchased was a copper strip with an adhesive reverse side, I plan on using this to connect my lights and also form a connection with the superstructure, this should eliminate the need for connectors. Done a little tonight, mainly the cables for the spot lights and radar units.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My Tsekoa build - progress report!
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2007, 02:58:43 pm »

Do'nt forget to clean flux off Cu strip and seal with a varnish - Verdigris, you know what it's normally used
      for (the strip) -Haven't seen many of them on local pond.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My Tsekoa build - progress report!
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2007, 03:27:01 pm »

I believe it's used in dolls houses for wiring up the lighting?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.