Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Humber Maintenance Barge  (Read 11518 times)

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
  • Andree1v the real thing.
Re: Humber Maintenance Barge
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 06:27:50 pm »

Hello Brian
The hull is just slapped on while I consider the build and yes there will be a camber between gunwale and hatch coaming. Not sure what to do with the hold, it will be quite large and deep and if I am going to have sand, gravel, cement, and what I wish to show as a working area the hold will in its current form be too deep. Do I fit a false bottom in the hold to raise all of the machines, tools and materials?   
Thanks for your interest and when we look back at some of the things as kids we lived through it frightens the life out of me certainly. Never had an argument with linseed though. Chris G

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 07:00:18 pm »

If you were to fit a false bottom and disguise it with sand or whatever would that give you extra room for rc/motor internals? just a thougtht.

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 07:20:40 pm »

Brian
I have managed to get the motor (not yet fitted) battery and R/C gear in the stern behind a bulkhead. I do think the false bottom is a good idea, I can't think of a better way to raise the work area.
The other thought is where am I going to fit many kilo's although not yet calculated of ballast. Under the false floor in the hold I hear you say, Another eureka moment, well maybe {-)
Thanks for the interest Chris G

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2014, 06:59:32 pm »

Another week on and seem to have spent lots of time achieving little. Some days all goes well and others it doesn’t. >:-o
I have made and fitted the rudder, that seems ok. I then fitted a modified M5 shaft , I should have waited and got an M4 as the prop choice for M5 seems more limited. The prop currently fitted is for lining up only and will be replaced by a 4 bladed around 45mm. The motor is in position and lined up with a universal joint M5 to M4 the motor is from and recommended by Mobile Marine Models for high torque and low revs.
Brass skeg fitted to support the rudder and ply supports for the prop shaft.
I have glassed in 2 bulkheads, not on any plan but seemed a good idea. It will enable me to carry at least 1kg of lead ballast in the bow without it moving. The aft bulkhead will allow me to have 1/2  6v 4.5 Ah batteries (approx 1kg each), the motor, the esc, steering servo and receiver all enclosed and hopefully watertight.
I read on mayhem some time ago about the ‘Lead Weight Company’ for ballast, I ordered 3kg from them and it was delivered quickly, packed well and competitively  priced. I did however see in ‘Wilko’ 1kg bags of ‘budgie’ (yes budgie) %% gravel @ £1, not much larger in volume than the lead shot and a saving of £4 per kg.       
I anticipate needing quite a lot of weight to get this lump down in the water so I might use lots of Budgie gravel, as long as it doesn’t tweet. %% 
Next job will be to check all fittings which will be impossible to get at when the deck is on also to tidy up rough glass work in the hull and give it all a lick of paint. Then when all that is done fit the deck.
Regards Chris G

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 07:47:12 pm »

Well another 10 days has passed with lots of hours spent trying to get a grip on the scale of the barge and all of the bits I hope to put either on or in it. {:-{
The deck has been fitted using the original but shortened to compensate for the reduced hull length, I have also fitted a gunwale although the drain lots have still to be cut out. The aft deck and accommodation block is made and fitted with the wheelhouse still w.i.p trying to get it to look right, the one seen in the photo is made from a cereal packet (thanks Ray) before cutting the ply.
The hold has been fun, my intention is to divide it crudely into 2 sections, one for rocks and a JCB the other section which I propose to cover with wriggly tin will be for stores and working gear this subdivided with my take on an old railway sleeper partition. The white metal castings from Mountfleet are pretty good and a lot of them will be used on the build. Not sure where to put the 'bog' yes there is one supplied. %%
I really must paint the hull although cannot make my mind up on colour or colours, black, white, anti foul red but maybe something a little different, who knows. ;)
I have finally sourced a M5 4 bladed 45mm prop, although I hav'nt got it yet.
Think I have probably bored you enough for a time, if you can stand it more to come %%
Thanks for looking Chris G

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2014, 07:47:59 pm »

Sorry. {:-{

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2014, 11:54:51 pm »

A neat looking job there Chris  :-))

Keep it going - nice and steady.

Regards,

Ray.

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 12:02:26 am »

I like how this is going  :-))

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2014, 03:22:18 pm »

I have chosen the colours for the barge, deck sand colour, topsides dark gloss green with a matt black and anti foul red below the boot top. The wheelhouse when I get to it will be white.
I got some fabulous plastic 1/32 wriggly tin for the 'workers shelter' and have wired in a light under the roof, there is a pile of gravel ready for the cement mixer and the main hold has a load of gravel epoxied on it. I hope that the scale of the gravel is good for large rocks, keep looking at the 1/32 crews heads for comparison.
There is a large space under the removable hold for up to about 10 kgs of ballast if needed, have not floated her yet %%
Next task is to build the wheelhouse, quite a challenge as I am new to all of this scratch build stuff.
Prop should be delivered within the next few days so I will post some pictures of her underside.
'Back to the drawing board :-))   

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2014, 03:24:38 pm »

Problems with this post {:-{

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2014, 03:28:30 pm »

Try again <*<

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2014, 06:11:13 pm »

Its looking good Chris. Do you fancy doing another but longer? Take a look at these. Rix petroleum based in Hull run these types around the Humber ports....

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2014, 06:23:37 pm »

Hello Brian
Yes it would be good to do but would not fit in my car and I would need a Hiab to lift it into the water.
You back in Espana now you lucky man {-)
Take care Chris G

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2014, 07:18:04 pm »

Hi,Chris,
 Its really coming together mate your making a great job of it, Did you notice Goole Model Boat club in the back ground in the middle photo Do hope you and your good lady will be able to make up to one of our open days.
                Regards Howard.

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2014, 07:42:13 pm »

Hello Howard.
No I didn't recognise the club but do now and yes we will be delighted to re-visit and maybe float my boat O0
Looking for a butch name for the barge any ideas chaps %% And Daisy and buttercup will just not do.
Regards Chris G

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2014, 11:03:59 pm »

What about WELLHARD Chris.
                Regards Howard.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2014, 03:15:33 pm »

Hello Brian
Yes it would be good to do but would not fit in my car and I would need a Hiab to lift it into the water.
You back in Espana now you lucky man {-)
Take care Chris G

Yep back in Spain Chris, maybe I'll be able to get around to posting some pics of my current build shortly- a Humber sailing smack. Keep an eye on the yacht and sail section :-)

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2014, 07:48:00 pm »

Howard, It has been decided to call the barge 'Wellard' I have taken the liberty of dropping the 'H' and sent for the necessary transfers, I hope that you will not be requesting royalties on the name.
The prop finally arrived by snail mail and is now fitted, 4 blade 45mm m5 from Ship Wright Shop I am very pleased with it, seems quite well made although speed will not be an option. Attached photo shows the underside of the barge, strange I hear you all say and not the normal barge 'swim' lines but was the best I could do.
The last week has been spent building a Hiab crane for the barge, kit from 'Model Slipway' and although not quite finished I am very pleased with it. The scale is 1/24 which is not in line with the rest of the craft but I think it will look the dogs doo daa's. I must stress not easy to build in fact very fiddly but I think the crane folded and on the fore deck will look good.
I am waiting for the stanchions to enable me to fit the handrails and need bits to go below but must say I like the look of her, different anyway.
Anyone looking for model building materials try 'Holly Loves Toys' great for wriggly tin, bags of cement and RSJ's and other bits. 
Regards Chris G       

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2014, 02:46:54 pm »

The crane is now finished and on the foredeck where things are 'tight' don't tell the health and safety rep. >>:-(
I claim an element of artistic licence as one the crane is 1/24 scale where the barge is 1/32, it will just be a large crane on a big barge, the crane kit from 'model slipway' I could not resist not an easy project but it does look good. It probably should not be sited on the foredeck but there is so much going on in the rest of the barge it was about the only place left.
I have to concentrate on the wheelhouse and finishing several other bits and the installation of r/c gear.
In general I think it looks better than I had hoped, wonder what it will sail like  %%
Regards Chris G 

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2014, 06:29:45 pm »

Looking good Chris, you mentioned the scale of the HIAB, its not going to be out of scale to the digger that is in the hold is it?

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2014, 03:00:39 pm »

Hello Brian, no intention to ignore you but have been away in France and Belgium for a few days looking at WW1 cemeteries and memorials.
To answer your question, my thoughts are that the JCB is a mini digger variety as they come in lots of sizes and the HIAB is a big version as they also come in lots of sizes. When looking for a Hiab I saw several kits that were to say the least rubbish so settled for this one.
Busy making a 'portaloo' at the moment for the aft deck. {-)
Take care Chris G   

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2014, 06:57:48 pm »

Conclusion to my build :(( ready to go in the lake maybe Sunday.
I have enjoyed it and there are certainly things I would change but overall 9/10.
Topsides I am happy with, below decks see how she performs. Surprised at the amount of ballast, to get her looking good in the bath needed just 3kgs.
Any body looking to build something different with a ready made hull give this a try. O0
Back to the 'Billings' Yawl and lots of rigging.
Howard if this model performs we will see you in Goole on one of your open days, might be a conversation piece.
Regards and thanks to all who have contributed Chris G     

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2014, 07:00:37 pm »

Sorry forgot to post the photo's.

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2014, 07:10:07 pm »

Looks great  :-))

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2014, 07:35:26 pm »

Chris,
Well done mate she looks great you should feel proud and will look on our pond not sure of our dates will let you know has it got lights as would be good on our night sail in sept.
                            Regards Howard.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.