Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Phone scams  (Read 4808 times)

plug

Phone scams
« on: January 13, 2014, 10:48:40 am »

Just had a phone call off some one asking about my broadband speed, well telling me that it was'nt working at speed, had an idea what was coming even before he asked for any details so all i said to him was " what company are you ", that was it he hung up. I know i probably don't need to say it but just be on your guard against these footpads and cut purses
regards Jack. <*<

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Phone scammer
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 11:29:30 am »

All that effort to learn English and all they use it for is to scam people.   >:-o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 12:32:06 pm »

My dad had a similar call telling him his computer was slow and needed updating, after allowing the guy to get to the point he wanted to connect to the computer to fix the problem, my dad let him know that the computer wasn't connected to the internet.
Grendel

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 01:31:28 pm »

...Hi Guys...

I got a similar phone call one morning last week...

The person started off by telling me that my computer was being hacked and if i could just go and turn it on & connect to the internet then he would fix my problem...

I just answered "NO' and he didn,t like this...He got quite angry and asked me why, So i told him  NO again...I then told him that this call is being recorded by the Scottish Police in connection with an ongoing case and he soon hung up..

...Norry...

...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 01:45:39 pm »

I then told him that this call is being recorded by the Scottish Police in connection with an ongoing case

Nice one Norry!    :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 08:12:19 pm »

I had a friend get a call like this here in the colonies.
He actually let the guy connect to the computer, and was
told that there were issues. When he heard how much it would
cost to "fix" the problem he said no, and they guy proceded to
seriously mess up the computer. My friend could see the cursor
zipping through control panel menus, at which point he flipped his
computer around and scrambled to unplug the internet cable.
But it was too late. He had to take his computer in for repairs.

Be aware, that no one should be able to see an issue with your
computer to the extent that they can ring you up and give you a consultation.

If they do, it will become a "hostage-ware" situation where they will force you
to pay to fix any damage they do to your computer. And possibly leave a program that
will require you to call for "a fix" later in the year. 

Do not allow that to happen either online, or via the phone.

{:-{

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 12:29:45 am »

Very simply, do not answer the phone to unknown numbers. If it's important enough they'll leave an answerphone message.

Do not press the decline button either. A lot of these scam calls first make a call to see if the number is 'live'. If you cut the call, then they know it's a live number. If it just rings and rings and rings then they usually won't bother ringing it again.

hopeitfloats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 08:50:24 am »

the one doing the rounds here at the moment is 'Microsoft technical department' calling to tell there are issues with computer. I try to wind them up but they have no sense of humour and always hang up on me. heard a good one is to blow a whistle  over the phone

inertia

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 09:12:38 am »

heard a good one is to blow a whistle  over the phone
I once read a short story about a bloke who went round killing people by ringing them up and blowing a dog whistle down the phone. I wonder if it really works......  %)
We have our answering machine on all of the time, on the basis that anyone "real" will leave a message (or we can pick up the call if we're in). I reckon that 19 out of 20 callers just hang up - it may even be more than that. Am I bovvered? Nah............
DM

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 10:25:36 am »

The sample rate for digital transmission is 8K, giving a speech bandwidth of 4K max.  So the dog whistle annoys your dog, maybe your neighbors if you are lucky.  Just another urban myth started by someone with an eye for a story but zilch knowledge about technical details.  Similarly with the loud whistle.  The transmission medium limits the volume.
If an auto scam call gets ring tone, it knows that its a live number, so not answering doesn't help much.
There are a few ways, depending on the type of call.
Anybody claiming to be from a computer security outfit, just say "hang on a moment" and gently put the phone down.  Go about your business for a couple of minutes.  They will go away and your line will be free again and my pension fund should benefit.
If its an automated "lifestyle survey", do the same.  Just another bunch of POS cowboys like the PPI pests.  This type often has an automated ringer that calls, waits for ring tone to vanish, and listens for a voice before switching through to "Rodney" with a strange accent.
If its a failed auto call, one that just stays silent, go to the investigate/report sequence.
After clearing, call 1471.  On most systems this gives the caller number.  Note it, google it.  There will likely be others similarly annoyed.  Report it via [size=78%]http://ico.org.uk/complaints/marketing/22[/size]
If the number was withheld, or it was a false number (not enough digits etc) call 1477.  On many providers, this reports the last call as a malicious call.  For the call to succeed, the system has to know where both ends are, so the false or spoofed numbers do not fool the system, and tech staff, if told to, can find them.  This is how prosecutions are started, not off individual complaints, but off the back of a big pile.  The slimeballs rely on the public not bothering to complain or being too idle to do anything.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 11:10:42 am »

I find that telling them to **** off works...

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 11:39:09 am »

They get one of three responses, depends on time, month or how many.

1. " This number is registered with TPS (wonder why? muppets still ring) so please delete it from your records".

2. " This call is being recorded and your company will be billed at £100 per minute, please carry on".

And 3. U-33's Anglo Saxon.

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 12:43:55 pm »

Very simply, do not answer the phone to unknown numbers. If it's important enough they'll leave an answerphone message.

That's rather a problem when most NHS numbers show as "Number Witheld" and you do need to receive calls from the local hospital  O0 %)

Barrie

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 01:08:09 pm »

I find that telling them to **** off works...
Rich

:} :} :}

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 02:21:15 pm »

I have a call blocker I bought it as at one time I was getting about three scam calls a day it blocks foreign calls number withheld and number unobtainable if the odd call gets through ( as some use a number ) I answer the call as soon as I know it's an unwanted call I press a button and the call is terminated and the number is blocked in the future. Works like a charm I now have peace day and night 
                                                                    Cheers
                                                                          Bob
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 03:51:43 pm »

We were getting up to 15 calls a day 7 days a week all from the same company! When I pointed this out to the caller the answer I got shocked me- "we will continue to call you until you give in and answer our questions for the survey"! The company in question was called UK Surveys ltd.

I contacted my phone company's abuse line and explained what was happening, they arranged to intercept all my calls for a month and only connect those who were genuine callers. They traced the company concerned and last I heard were taking action against them. Its amazing but all of these cold calls have now stopped!

Its worth noting that if you pick up the phone and it is silent then it is too late. This is an auto dialling service that works by dialling dozens of random numbers on the basis that one will connect and be put through to the operator, this is when your line goes silent, somebody has answered its call before you. But it doesn't end there, because you have picked up and made he connection it now remembers that and will call again and again.

inertia

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 04:02:55 pm »

Just another urban myth started by someone with an eye for a story but zilch knowledge about technical details. 
I know. I tried it on my ex-Mother in Law*. It would have been just my luck if she'd suddenly appeared at the front door with a dog lead in her mouth, but she didn't.  She waited a helluva long time afterwards to become my late ex-Mother in Law, so I assumed then that the dog whistle was just a cunning plot for a murder story.
Now as for the ricin in the chocolates, that's a different matter entirely............ %)
DM

(* NOT Liz's Mum - she was a sweetheart)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 04:20:12 pm »

Now as for the ricin in the chocolates, that's a different matter entirely............

Yummy, but a far better ploy is to lace one of the choccys with Ex-Lax.  Like Russian roulette, only funnier.

The telepests will continue no matter what customers do - there are only two ways to deal with them, report them as I said earlier, or, in the case of the Consumer Lifestyle survey scum and similar, find out who is buying their "services", and stop their flow of money by not using their services.  Not easy, but the companies who finance the scum think that it improves their profits.  When that stops, hopefully the telepests will be without income as well.

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 04:32:20 pm »

If I've got nothing better to do, I usually let 'Microsoft' describe how they can help, after gently baiting them with "Oh dear, my computer has been running slowly recently, is that the problem?" Let them waffle away while I pretend to turn on the PC etc and finally tell them that I have a PhD in computer sciences and service networks for a living.

I have come up with an even better idea, which will require me to prepare a script. It should be fun and I'll let you know how it goes..... might be worth my recording the conversation!  <*<
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 04:53:31 pm »

Somewhere on t'internet there is a recording a cold caller being scammed by the guy he called. The recipient pretended to be a policeman and claimed he was at a murder scene, who was the caller, what was his number, and was he the male victims lover. Cold caller blustered, lost for words, protesting his innocence. A real funny listen. (oops I've just used a verb as a noun naughty naughty  <*<  )
Don't Assume Check

geoff p

• Full Mayhemer
    • Purple Tiger
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 04:56:28 pm »

Off-topic but similar, in a way.  Many years ago we were being pestered by one of those door-to-door "Churches," the How's yer father Brethren or some such.

One evening I invited the bloke to "Please come in and have a cup of tea."  Which he gladly (foolishly) accepted.  I baited him for about three-hours until late evening before "sadly" releasing him to continue on his merry way.  Of course, by then it was far too late for him to pester our neighbours.

Strangely enough, our whole street had peace from that brand of menaces for a long time afterwards.

I've tried similar with 'phone cold-callers - it's their call, their money being wasted. 
Geoff,
Thailand

inertia

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 05:11:03 pm »

Yummy, but a far better ploy is to lace one of the choccys with Ex-Lax.  Like Russian roulette, only funnier.

Almost certainly - but only if you're there to watch, Doc. Seattle is a long, long way from Nottingham.
BTW If any GCHQ or US Homeland Security guys/gals are reading this, it's all a joke  {-) {-) {-) . My late first Emminel was eventually dispatched by something equally as unpleasant but not by my hand (regretably).
As regards the telepests, I usually think of what I should have said just after I've been almost polite to them and hung up. This afternoon's pest was from "UK Hearing". Instead of asking him from where he'd got the idea that I was deaf I should just have kept saying "Pardon??" until he'd hung up.
If I hadn't been involved in this thread I would have let the Answerphone take care of him..............but the call logger also showed that he'd rung this morning as well and he just might have been too timid to leave a message (poor little poppet).
I know he's only doing his job, but so was Albert Pierrepoint...................
DM

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 06:59:27 pm »

Phones that have call blocking settings are all very well, except that my daughter is ex directory (“withheld”) and I do sometimes speak to friends from abroad. 
B.T. advise that international agreements do not allow them to block international numbers, even when those numbers are known scammers.  Thus most scammers display as “International”.

I get several a day, and either just put the phone down or if I am bored engage them in long fruitless conversations.  PPI, computer problems, and my favourite “your recent car accident”.  The later I can keep them chatting for ages before disclosing my last claimable accident was in 1971 and exclaim surprise their records go back that far !

Some however are really nasty scams claiming problems with your card or bank account.  Be aware that if you try to call your bank on the same line right away the line only appears to disconnect.  You dial and talk to the original scammer.  Wait ten minutes or call on another line.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 07:23:19 pm »

My Dad almost got caught out on one of those "from you bank" calls
Now he says that if they are really from his bank and need to talk to him then they can make an appointment and he will pop in the branch

Or his other one is when they ask the his account details he tells them "you tell me you say you're from my bank so you tell me my account number and date of birth" which under the data protection act they are not allowed to do.
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 07:34:59 pm »

Some however are really nasty scams claiming problems with your card or bank account.  Be aware that if you try to call your bank on the same line right away the line only appears to disconnect.  You dial and talk to the original scammer.  Wait ten minutes or call on another line.
I did fairly recently have speaks with Barclaycard security - it really was them and very efficient they were at saving me the hassle of paying around £800 for somebody elses Christmas shopping.
When a call is terminated, the line is fully free, but no call is actually over until the caller clears.  If you clear and the caller doesn't the call is still there for some time.  The "some time" used to be "between one and two metering periods" - at cheap rate time that could be many minutes.  If you make a call after a scammer has hung up, it is your line entirely.  If you make a check call, you DO listen for dial tone, don't you?  If the scammer hasn't really hung up, you've just dialed a bunch of tones into his ear'ole.  Dialing 1471 as a starter (to find the offending number prior to reporting it), and/or your own number (gives engaged tone or equivalent) will give you the required clues, the caller has, in fact cleared the call to release your line, and the number that you now dial will go where you intended.

Dave - I've just been reading about 3D printers that handle chocolate - one is superbly called a "Foodini"
Almost certainly - but only if you're there to watch, Doc. Seattle is a long, long way from Nottingham.
- Skype?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.