Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75 - v2  (Read 73368 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75 - v2
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2015, 07:39:14 am »

Well you've certainly spent a lot of cash on those Josse, they look nice and shiny.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2015, 06:48:30 am »

Lots of cash indeed, but they're certainly worth the cost.
I'm still searching to scramble all the parts for the thrusters themselves, the nozzles will be bought ready made, they cost a lot as well but I don't think I can do it much cheaper then what I've seen on the internet.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2015, 07:56:09 pm »

Hey guys,

Last weeks I'm trying to get to sanding the hull more and more, all be it half an hour a day, that will get me there eventually.
Last week I did my sprinkler exam as I'm designing sprinkler installations nowadays, but now that I've done my exam I don't need to study anymore which leaves more time for modelling.
The process takes quite some time but then this ain't quite a normal size modelling project.
I'll get there eventually.
Anyways I got something to show again though still not really much,

I'd just added some more filler to the bottom and side of the hull when I discovered a crack in the hull where the planking stops and the fibreglass bulwark starts so I decided to add a sheet of plastic to the bulwark but in such a manor that the filler will get time to cure properly so I put her on her stern against my pillar drill.

Added a piece of 1,5mm thick styrene to strengthen the bulwark.

The bow is nearing a smooth result but I'm far from happy still, though the real roughness is gone I still don't have a nice smooth line from the side of the hull to the centreline at the bow, it's kinda wobbly.
The bottom is now also starting to get there but also has quite some work to do there, especially at the stern.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2016, 08:04:32 pm »

Update:

Painted the hull with primer to see the im perfections better (which turned out to be many more then I thought) and drew the lines for the anchor pockets.

Drilled the hole for the first bowthruster after drilling alignment holes using a 30cm long drill.

Drew the alignment holes for both bowthrusters and placed 1 of the propellers in the hole which still needs to be made to fit the tube in it.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2016, 07:49:16 pm »

Update:

Today I finished drilling the second hole for the front most bowthruster due to which I was now able to put the tube in place temporarily to see if the alignment is good and fortunately it's pretty much spot on, only 1mm off in height and perfectly spot on in the transverse direction.
All in all I'm very pleased with the result though I'll keep trying better on the next tunnel.

In the foreground are the parts for the bowthrusters which will be used later on.
The timing belts I ordered at first turned out not to fit on the discs and were send back to be replaced by the belts visible in this photo which are the correct size.

This side of the hull is not quite as smooth as the other parts of the hull which made me decide not to paint this side yet.

Greetings Josse

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2016, 10:51:42 pm »

Wow, She is coming along at a steady pace. I assume the tube will be cut flush with the hull sides? I am not sure if there are some types that project a little for the benefit of flow?

Excellent :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2016, 05:53:36 pm »

Hello Ballast,

Thanks forum the kind wordt!

At this moment the tunnel is not fixed in Place,  it need to have a removable part so I can Place and of Neede remove the propeller.

Just beide the front bowthruster (the one in Place now) will be a half moon shaped bubble to influence the flow as well as a conus shaped edge around the tunnel exit.
Both shapes will be created when the hull is smooth in That region.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2016, 11:49:22 am »

Thought I'd share some thoughts on my next challenge: making both end caps for the copper T's, which are to house the bowthrusters gearbox, to close them.
In 1 of the end caps will off course be a hole so the propeller shaft kan pass through.
Here are the options I have in mind:
  • Make a wooden mold and shape a brass plate over it
  • Make a wooden mold and dip it in a silicon bath to make an epoxy version out of it
  • Make a wooden part and apply plenty of epoxy to the wood to make it watertight
The last option is not quite preferable since the end cap through which the propeller shaft passes through will need to be very carefully painted with epoxy to make sure the wood doesn't get wet, this is made even more difficult because I want the gears inside the copper T to be lubricated by means of water meaning the water will need to be able to get in through the propshaft hole.
Option 2 with the plastic version seems to be the best, which has another advantage: I can then use the molds to also make copies of the parts for the thrusters at the rear which are to be build with the same parts only a different propeller fitted to the shaft and a kort nozzle rather then being mounted in a tunnel.
Plastic seems to be the best material for the purpose, I want to secure the caps by means of a tiny little screw so I can always get them out for maintaince.
The brass option will be quite challenging for me since I haven't yet shaped brass that way before.

Greetings Josse

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2016, 09:00:54 pm »

Wooden orignals need priming well if they are to be moulded in silicone, as otherwise the rubber seeps into the grain making it messy or difficult to extract the original. Styrene plastic has the benefit of being non porous and also quite strong. Look at the work of people like Radio Joe who regularly make masters and moulds.
Pond weed is your enemy

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2016, 12:53:23 pm »

Hi Ballast,

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll stick with styrene for the mould.

Last week I made myself a styrene mould for the anodes which I will slowly start building when I've got myself some silicone rubber for moulding.
I allready found some good advice but am still not sure as to wether or not I should use some form of loosing film with silicone to make sure I can get the plug out of the silicone mould.
Then there is also the question as to what material to use to make the final product, I was thinking epoxy but I'm not sure if epoxy would be strong enough without the fibreglass.

Does any of you have some thoughts on this?

Greetings Josse

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2016, 04:32:11 pm »

Borrow the idea from concrete suppliers, when its delivered you can preorder a fibre fill to be missed with it so add strength (looks like white nylon rope fibres), just line fibre glassing, the fibres add an interlocking mechanism for strength, just like the old mud and straw mixture in 'ye old days'.
you would only have to find a fibre with a very thin cross section, that doesn't melt in the resin and is cut into 10-20mm lengths. you would need to do a pre skin so the fibres don't poke through.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2016, 08:43:58 pm »

Hi Warspite,

Thanks for the advice!!
I don't know about fibre glass in it, it needs to have a half dome shape which would be very hard to make with fibreglass in this size.
I'll keep it in mind but at this size I don't know it will do the trick, quite possibly also due to my abilities.

@ all,

Yesterday evening I made the holes for the second bowthruster tunnel so now the tunnel fits inside and also cut the removable piece out of the tunnel so I can fit the propeller and gearbox to it, the forward tunnel only just has the room for it...
Today I taped all the gaps off around the tunnels and the frames, I had broken the narrow piece of hull between the 2 tunnels on 1 side which will fortunately be fixed by filling it all up with epoxy which has now been done.
I decided not to fill it all up in 1 go but rather fill up to the cut-out in the bowthruster so the tunnels wouldn't flood with epoxy, making a mould around it to prevent that from happening with the next layers which turned out to be a good decision with what I know now, at some point the hull became too hot to touch for me, should I have added more epoxy I might have created so much heat the boat could well get on fire :o :o %)
That now didn't happen, I still have my boat in 1 piece.

I'll post some photo's later on when the epoxy has set up to the full height and the tape has been removed.

Greetings Josse

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2016, 09:43:07 pm »

Hi Ballast,

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll stick with styrene for the mould.

Last week I made myself a styrene mould for the anodes which I will slowly start building when I've got myself some silicone rubber for moulding.
I allready found some good advice but am still not sure as to wether or not I should use some form of loosing film with silicone to make sure I can get the plug out of the silicone mould.
Then there is also the question as to what material to use to make the final product, I was thinking epoxy but I'm not sure if epoxy would be strong enough without the fibreglass.

Does any of you have some thoughts on this?

Greetings Josse

Hello Josse
I not 100% sure what you are trying to do. I have cast many items out of resin via home made Silicon mould . The silicon will stretch a fair bit before it tears . The resin is hard but has its limits. a block of resin would be strong but a small rod say 3mm in dia would be weak . there are ways to increase strength.
If you ave a photo of what you are trying to make that would help in giving advice .

John

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2016, 07:52:05 pm »

Hi John,

This is roughly what I want to mould:

The black lines indicate the shape of the parts, 1 side will be a half dome, the other will have a flat side so I can easily drill the hole for the propeller shaft, and I might also make the holders for the bearings using a mould.
The half dome side is just to close the end off the Tee, the other side would be used for watertighting the Tee piece whilst also having the propshaft passing through which it has to be strong so it can fit properly around the propellershaft and hold it in place.

Greetings Josse

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2016, 09:48:02 pm »

Hi Josse
I can see what you are trying to make . A hollow 2 part cast about the same size as that 15mm T plumbing joint.
yes it could be made but it wont be very strong . Brass or plastic might be easier .
Here is a short clip on how to make a 2 part mould
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBEK_Jyfvek
this were I get my resin and silicon from. I am sure you will have a place in Holland
 http://www.mbfg.co.uk/?gclid=CMLFlKC3m8sCFTUo0wodkJEB_w
The parts I cast are deck fittings  were strength is not required .

john

kees de mol

• Full Mayhemer
  • crazy about shipbuilding
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2016, 11:07:08 pm »

It could be done as a one part mold. Just make the part and glue it with the flat part to a piece of plastic. Make a little box around it and make the mould with silicone. After curing, loose the mould and make copys with Polyurethane resin. Drilling the hole for the prop-shaft will need a lathe for precize allignement I think.
Groetjes, Kees

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: February 29, 2016, 04:50:14 pm »

What an interesting build.

Len.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: February 29, 2016, 05:14:00 pm »

Thanks for the great advise guys!!!
It's much appreciated.
It would seem that polyurethane will be the way to go, though I noticed that epoxy is very tough as well.
The webshop in the link seems to have decent pricing for a full set, might well get it there some time in the future.

I'm thinking about also preparing the lifeboats as those already are there, only need to be patched up so I can mould those as well but that would be a good job for epoxy with fibreglass.

Greetings Josse

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: February 29, 2016, 05:58:15 pm »

Hi josse
another thought might be 3d printing .
Another thought if you can get bearings were the OD is bigger than the OD of the gear . you could first drill a hole horizontally a fraction bigger than the OD of the gear. then at the openings enlarge the hole dia to the OD of the bearings. the smaller dia of the gear hole would stop the bearings from moving in   

john

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: February 29, 2016, 06:33:20 pm »

Hi John,

Thanks for the great advice!
3D printing seems to be used more and more but I don't think I'd like that so much, I'd rather start casting and make things myself.
Besides, my finance is currently aimed at getting my own house so funding a 3D printer will take way to long and I don't have room for the 3D printer.

Making room for the bearing is quite a clever idea, thanks a lot for that.
The idea already was to make the parts such that they fit inside the plumbing Tee a fair bit so it can be secured in there using a small screw so I can maintain the gearbox should that be needed.

Greetings Josse

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: February 29, 2016, 06:37:32 pm »

Hi Josse
with 3D printing . I ment more get a company like shapeways to do the printing for you. Shape ways have big printers in Holland .http://www.shapeways.com/?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CIDBrfjOncsCFUQcGwodTS0BxA

john

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2016, 01:12:10 pm »

Hi John,

Thanks for the advice!!

That only brings my further away from making it myself which is the aim with as much as possible.
Besides, I'll need to make moulds anyway for other parts like doors, vents, goosenecks, anodes and many more parts.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2016, 07:49:17 pm »

Hey guys,

Lately my mind has been somewhat focused on the controls of this vessel, which won't be by ordinary means but rather by means of a combination of 2 types of small computers, each communicating with each other making the best use of the specialities each has.
Because I don't want to multiplex functions (in other words: control several functions with the same switch) I first came up with building an entire desk which would accommodate a 7" tablet and a fortune worth switches and self made control sticks.
At some point I realised the desk (large enough to actually sit behind it) was way to bulky and would make transportation very difficult.
Then I decided to make myself a more normal sized radio to make it much easier in handling and carrying around.
Yesterday I made up my mind about the size, the base plate using some 13 to 15 joysticks would a A4 paper size, 29cm wide and 21cm deep which turns out to be about the size of 2 4-channel radios like the one I used at the start of this project.
The first 2 joysticks have been ordered and I used them to make an impression as to which joystick would be placed where and controlling which function.
The next design feature is the 7" touch screen which will be connected to the raspberry Pi computer inside the transmitter which will send video to the screen using a simple HDMI cable, the touch being transformed by the screen itself to act as a normal mouse.
The Pi will be equipped with software like what I've already written for testing the laptop control which worked to some degree at some point but was dropped due to problems and the fact that laptops don't handle rain well and are prone to be stolen.

Anyway, the reason for this post is the picture below:

The first 2 plates have been made and fitted with holes to accommodate and attach the first 2 joysticks and the 7" touchscreen.
The joysticks will have a plate on top of the wooden plate to conceal the electronics and to try and keep the water out, for that I will make an extra edge under the stick itself.
The plates will be screwed in place with the screws holding the electronics below.
Now I need to make 11 to 13 more sets of holes, the sides and bottom plate, a hatch for the 2 batteries (I will put 2 5V Ly-Ion batteries in there to compensate the weight of the screen, it's a little under a quarter of the calculated total weight of the transmitter and is fitted topside so I need the total battery weight to make it more balanced).
For added balance and to not make my arms carry the weight of this thing all day long (it will weigh in a little over a kilo, not quite light weight) by adding a camera neck-strap to the sides of the transmitter.

Greetings Josse

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2016, 08:33:49 pm »

I think you will want the edge to be curved to the shape of your waist so it doesn't dig in. You can make this from a separate structure of ply with a foam pad around the curve.

I have included an image to describe my suggestion. The one on the right is for Nemo:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2016, 08:36:14 pm »

Hi Ballast,

Thanks for the advice, that's something I hadn't thought of.

Greetings Josse
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.