Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75 - v2  (Read 73359 times)

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
Re: Diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75 - v2
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:03:46 am »

Hello guys,

After my account got lost several years ago and since I had topics on 3 other forums I didn't bother fixing it.
Those of you who hang around here for several years might well remember my previous topic which seems to have been lost as well.
Since my last post here a lot has happened.
I started realizing my dream of having everything apart from the crew that moves or does something aboard the real ship and can be seen from outside will be working on my model as well.
For this I started looking for other means of controlling a shipmodel then a standard transmitter.
Via a friend I ended up with Arduino micro controllers.
I bought such a device and started experimenting.
Soon I found myself trying to control the boat with it.
It was then (now almost excactly a year ago) that I made a disastrous test trial.
The wiring for the servos and ESC's were doubled so I could, in theory, control the model using either Arduino or the standard transmitter.
The doubles took away the control over the model and soon the helodeck was blown overboard and later even the superstructure (which didn't look all that good) went overboard.
I needed to get a canoe to get the hull back from the other side of the lake.
A few months later I had a test trial making me the first person to ever control a ship model using a laptop.
The laptop control proved too slow for any use apart from quite waters with no-one around.
Then I decided to make myself an instrument panel which has room for much more controls and acts like a standard transmitter though it can get signals back and can control waaayyyyy more functions, the new systems limit is the imagination of the person working with it.
That made it ideal for what I wanted, every single function will have it's own control.

Just before last Christmas I decided to sand the hull so I could start detailing.
That is when I found out how ashamingly bad I started this project.
When I found out the worst part I decided that what I had would be kids toys so they could destroy it and I would build an entirely new model and I would do it good this time!
My goal had always been a real good and mostly realistic model with as many functions as either the controls could handle or the real ship could offer, whichever comes first.
The aim is to have a model that can hardly be distinguished from the original when one sees a photo or a movie, even when comparing movies of the ship whilst doing what she was build to do.

That's enough talk, here are a few photo's of the new hull, up to now as I've only been working on it a little less then 2 weeks.

Construction for the new hull has been sawed out a little rough because I had decided I would sand the entire thing to make sure the plates and planks would fit properly.

A first for me, I actually used a building board.
This building board was placed on my flat desk when the construction was being glued, which is shown in photo's that will be placed below.

Possible arrangement of the aft engine room though I still need to take the Speed 500E's out of the old hull, the engines seen here are the Johnsons that will power the 2 bow thrusters.

Here the construction has been glued.

And here with the maker.

With the old hull behind it.
The new hull is almost 2cm less wide as the first hull was made wider because of the keel in the middle causing the frames to be placed against the keel and then the hull plating was applied and then some more and that all was build on a incorrect measurement leaving me with a wider hull by any means.

On other forums I was told I shouldn't have taken the hull off the building board but I should have applied the first plates and planks first.
Though I tend to go that way I'm still open for other options.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Re: Diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75 - v2
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 10:26:18 am »

Thought it would be nice to show a photo of the instrument panel which will partly replace my standard transmitter.
I say partly replace as the instrument panel is so large that I will rebuild my transmitter with Arduino guts and quite some added controls so I can sail in a light mode meaning I can't control all the functions but enough for when demonstrations are not needed and taking the instrument panel with me would be too much work.

This shows the azimuth controls under construction.
I'm going to use the possiblities to quite a high degree so the azimuths will be able to turn at least 4 full circles, I'll try to make it even more, the pots I have now support 10 turns but the software library only supports 4 turns.
I'll use stepper motors to steer the azimuths so there will be no limitations to the rotation in the boat.

Initial test with PVC pipes as support which was by far not stable and strong enough so it has been replaced by 3 wooden planks mounted (by means of screws to make it fit in my car alongside the boat) so I can put my legs underneath the panel whilst sitting in a chair.

This is me behind the panel.
It gives a good impression of the sheer size of it.

This is to give an impression of what it will look like when finished.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 11:35:25 am »

So good so far, looking forward to more details and pics in the future. Its going to be one good model. Its interesting that you are using arduino as well, you'll have to include more details of that as you progress as well.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 11:43:52 am »

Hello Brian,

Thanks for the kind words.

For the Arduino I use a program writen by a fellow modeller here in The Netherlands, his program can be found on RCGroups in the homebrew for boats section.
For my use I'll need to adjust the program in some points, for starters controlling the stepper motors will require some modifications to the program.

BTW, it might be nice to give an indication of the number of working functions: it will be over 140, it was about 140 before I decided that the drilling tower and the moonpool doors should be made working as well.
The drilling tower is more then just 1 winch, there's also a crane on top of it.

Greetings Josse

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 01:21:42 pm »

Glad to see you back in the land of the living Josse - I did wonder what had happened to your build project
Keep the photos coming

Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 01:29:09 pm »

Hi
Here is the original thread for those who wish to catch up..

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16349.0.html

:-))

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 01:31:49 pm »

The photo's will certainly keep coming, at this point it's likely I'll start planking the hull saturday because I'll start at my new job tomorrow.

The old build log is not very useful anymore apart from showing how not to build a model.
All that is shown there is now scrap but it might well show how much better I'm going on this one, at least, that is my opinion.

Greetings Josse

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 01:45:21 pm »

The photo's will certainly keep coming, at this point it's likely I'll start planking the hull saturday because I'll start at my new job tomorrow.

The old build log is not very useful anymore apart from showing how not to build a model.
All that is shown there is now scrap but it might well show how much better I'm going on this one, at least, that is my opinion.

Greetings Josse
Hi Josse
I Disagree about the old log, The old log shows how you have progressed to this stage that you at now  ( Ie Starting Again), In a way your learning curve, I know many disagreed with the way you were doing things but you did it your way and that is absolutely fine, as it was your build. Even on the old build you realised certain aspects of the build were wrong and started to correct them..The sign of a true builder.. :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 01:56:14 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 02:07:04 pm »

Hi Josse
I Disagree about the old log, The old log shows how you have progressed to this stage that you at now  ( Ie Starting Again), In a way your learning curve, I know many disagreed with the way you were doing things but you did it your way and that is absolutely fine, as it was your build. Even on the old build you realised certain aspects of the build were wrong and started to correct them..The sign of a true builder.. :-))

Hello Longbuild,

Thanks for the kind words.
I have certainly been improving and I will remain improving for as long as I keep building models and actually that is 1 of the reasons why I like this hobby.

Hello Martin,

Thanks for renaming the topic.

Greetings Josse

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 02:34:17 pm »

Here is the real thing:

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 05:32:49 pm »

I agree with Long build about your original build...............you were scorned by some................but you stuck to your guns, and proved what you had to, that you can build, and what is more, you certainly know your stuff with regards to electronics.............something that I am totally hopeless about.
You have come through, and good on you for doing so.......proving the critics and doubters that you have the guts and stamina to win through. :-)) :-)) :-))
it's nice to see you back on here and hope that you will have a model to be proud of very soon.
best regards, neil.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 06:16:32 pm »

Those are some very helpful photo's!!!
I hadn't yet found them on the internet but that is how the rear deck will look when she's finished.

Thanks for the kind words folks!

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 05:55:23 pm »

Update:

Added another longitudenal girder, the second last of the horizontal girders.
I will add 1 or 2 vertical girders in the stern as the depth is too shallow here for the longitudenal girders, this was adviced by a friend.
When all girders have been placed I will sand the construction to prepare for the planking after which I will first make and place the 4 plates, 2 on each side which will run from the bow all the way to the stern which is why I will use 2 plates after each other.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 08:24:29 pm »

Update:

Placed the last horizontal girder.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 10:43:14 am »

Update:

It's going to be pretty full inside the hull...

First frames have been prepared for the plating which proved to be a challenge to properly show on a photo.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 10:04:32 pm »

Update:

The first hull plate has been cut out, then put in a both full of hot water for an hour and then bended into as near the final shape as I could carefully get.
The glue hasn't been used yet, first I want to make sure the plate can get into the final shape.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 08:39:49 pm »

Update:

Sawed the second hull plate and put it in a bath with hot water to prepare it for bending.

The first plate has been glued in place and the second is being bended into it's final shape.

The rear plates have both been drawn on the wood and will be sawed out tomorrow.
All plates have been measured with a small room for error.

Greetings Josse

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 09:50:44 pm »

Hi Josse,
Good to see you back on Model Boat Mayhem.
Have followed your builds from day one, both on here and other forums.
You should be proud of all you have achieved, and are still achieving.
You have shown the tenacity and willingness to learn that will stand you well in your lifes journey.
Keep up the good work, and will be following your journey once again with great interest.
I like your lateral thinking, very original, keep it up, and has taught me a thing or to as well
cheers
vnkiwi

:-))
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 10:19:19 pm »

Thanks for the compliment!

If I'm not mistaken I'm following your builds with great interest as well, along with many other build logs.
I too take a lot of inspiration from the build logs of fellow modellers, and motivation as well for that matter...

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2014, 10:26:47 am »

Update:

Behind the scenes the planking of the hull continues.
Yesterday I decided to check the hull only to find that the stern is twisted, see the photo's:

The photo doesn't show it all too well but there is a small gap between the tool and the hull plate.

This gap is a lot bigger...

Yet the rest of the hull is straight...

What can I do to make the stern straight?
Would removing the plates, then add some weight and then reglue the plates be enough?
Or do I need to make an entirenly new stern section?

The bow is straight, fortunately.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2014, 12:55:13 pm »

Got back from holiday in the Spanish Pyrenees last friday, had great weather, made some challenging walks, went parapenting, canyoning and made a round flight through some valley a bit north of the camping.
I don't know why I'm back already because it's way to beautiful there and I had so much fun but here I am anyways...

Now on to an update:

With the help of my brother I took the stern plates loose, then checked where things went wrong and corrected what needed to be corrected and glued the plates back in place with the correct shape.

Because the bow is straight I keep planking the bow, I will actually start with the second layer soon.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2014, 10:13:21 pm »

Update:

Added quite a few planks to the bow.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 09:42:19 am »

Update:

I reached the bilge!!!

The first piece of hull planked from deck through keel to deck!!!

The grey arrows indicate the closing walls of the tanks as I have planned now.
The middle tank (5 frames long) will contain some 5 kgs of water, ahead and astern are 4 tanks also seperated at the centreline each containing some 1,2kgs of water but these will only be filled when needed.

The proud builder and his model.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2014, 08:17:04 pm »

Update:

Drilled holes to allow water to flow through the tank!

This update is all about completing the first layer of planks at the bow!!!

That's it for today.

Greetings Josse
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 23 queries.