Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75 - v2  (Read 73349 times)

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
Re: Diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75 - v2
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2014, 08:13:27 pm »

Update:

Visitor!!

Today I maked and placed the bottom plate for which I got a splinter 1cm deep in my finger but after a painful experience there's hardly anything left of it now...
The hole at the rear of the plate is for the moonpool which I hadn't planned to build in at the start of this hull but will be build now so I'll need to cut away the construction there.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2014, 05:34:20 am »

Got sidetracked since a room (with balcony) came free which I'm now turning into my very own hobby workshop.
As this is only for hobbying I now have room for at least 4 models of up to 2m long and 40cm wide.
The balcony will be used for working with epoxy, painting and sanding.
If all goes well I might have a pretty much ready workshop today but then I still need to make something out of my bedroom so I'm not finished any day soon.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2014, 04:58:53 pm »

About a month ago I met a very nice young lady with whom I fell in love.
Now I find myself spending my free time with her very willingly leaving about no time at all for modelling even though my rooms are now finished.
Because my girlfriend is now on holiday I can spend some time on modelling again.

Started working on planking the stern by first removing part of the plates at the stern which were to big to fit...

Planking the second layer on the bow is now down to the waterline and nearing it's end now.

Before I started planking the stern I checked for straightness of the stern as that has been an issue.
I expected to see a small twist but found no proof of a twist so I can now carefully continu building because I have a straight stern!!!!

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2014, 07:44:52 pm »

Celebrated my birthday last weekend and got 2 nice tools which I asked for on advice of some people close to me:

I got a 350W power bench pillar drill which handles drills between 1,5mm and 13mm and has 5 speeds available.
Behind the pillar drill is a 90W table saw which can saw wood up to 40mm thick and metal up to 10mm thick.
Both machines have working tables which can be rotated up to 45 degrees.
These machines will most likely serve me well when hobbying.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2014, 10:33:03 am »

Update:

Planking the stern has been completed, now I only need to add an plate and then it's all about the bow.

The blocks on the bow have been added.

And I started shaping the bow.

Greetings Josse

merseyferry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2014, 12:23:12 pm »

shes looking good there  tweety keep up the good work  :-) nice tools by the way  :-)) :-)) :-))  oh and :-))  a happy birthday aswell

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2014, 03:59:47 pm »

Thanks for the kind words.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2014, 01:11:22 pm »

Currently I'm in the process of thinking through how to continue on this build, with the hot topic being making the mold and hull.
I stumbled upon some issues for which I could well use your advice on how to continue best.
Due to the bulb I'm sure I need 2 halfs in order to be able to get the plug and later the final hull out of the mold.
 At first I thought I would place a wooden plate just off the centreline, make the first mold, then move the plate to the other side of the centreline and make the other half of the mold.
 When thinking this through down to the last detail I can think of I started wandering how I could fixate the plate in such a way that the plug isnīt damaged when removing it (using screws for fixation is no option here) but by which the plate is fixed so well that it can't be moved when making the mold.
 Then I decided I'd place the wooden plate in between the 2 halfs of the mold, also when making the final hull but then I'd need to fill the bulb with resin so I can shape the bulb in the say 9mm where the plate will be as this can't be shaped the way the bow is shaped.
 Then I thought I could place a plate in the transverse direction somewhere near the middle of the ship where the hull doesn't have any odd shapes like depth markings etc. (the plimsoll marking is usually placed at exactly half length and as that will also be made out of etched plate would not be a good place to make the joint between the 2 molds) but this way the mold might get stuck behind the etched parts when removing the mold.
 I thought about making the mold a little flexible on purpose and stiffening the mold when the hull is being made by adding a frame work around it so the mold can be "folded" away from the markings but will be stiff enough when the hull is made.
 Please let me know what you think of these methods and should I have missed a method, please feel free to inform me about it.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2014, 03:03:35 pm »

Update:

The bow is slowly being made to the correct shape but there's still a lot to learn as I now have a gap in the bow.
Fortunately this is a plug so filling it up with filler is no big deal but this still isn't how one should want it to be...

Greetings Josse

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2014, 07:28:15 pm »

The complicated but will give the best mould is to do a four part one. Think of a lengthways crusifix (cross) The two long parts along the keel centre line, essentially dividing the hull into two parts. Then the head of the cross just before the bulb part of the bow. This will allow the mould to be removed in four quarters without damage to the finished hull or bulb.

Otherwise two halves as you describe. I would make one side first, then loosen it and remove. Then re-polish the side it came off and temporarily hold in place with some double sided tape just along the deck edge. The lip you will have formed at the keel will need sealing to stop the resin of the second side running underneath. This can be done with some warmed beeswax, just runny enough so that you can 'paint' it along the gap so that it sets and forms a resin proof seal. Then make your second half.

You mention how to make the divide, if you have the patience to cut the timber to form the lip along the full keel and around the bulb, this could be held in place with a bead of hot melt glue along the side you are not going to make first and then removed once your mat is set.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2014, 10:58:06 am »

Update:

Took the old superstructure to show where I'm heading.

Tweety paid a visit.

The last bottom plate is being checked for correct fitting and was later adjusted in some places to fit.

Glued the plate in place.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2014, 11:43:16 am »

Hey guys,

I just had thought about the ballast tanks.
I had planned to use 1 big pump and 8 valves to serve a total of 8 tanks. Relais would make sure that as soon as 1 valve would be opened that the pump would fire up right away and as soon as the last valve would be closed the pump would be shut down as well.
This already wasn't all too complicated but still involves quite some electronics and one would need to pay quite some attention while the tanks are being filled.
Then I thought about the dive tanks used in model submarines which increase the size of the tank by moving a bulkhead thus sucking the water into the tank.
The main advantage is that the tank is always completely filled so there's no need for bulkheads to prevent the ship from rocking and rolling due to the water in the tanks.
This is a huge advantage for a ship this size and with heavy equipment at the top.
Another advantage is that I can now reduce the amount of tanks to 4 (compared to 8 in the original idea) or even 2, but then I can't use the tanks as counterweights to reduce the rocking and rolling of the ship.
I will use 2 motors or 2 servo's to control the tanks, 1 for the forward tanks and 1 for the aft tanks so that the SB and PS tanks fill to the same level.

I've also given some thought to how to give the command to fill the tanks, I originally planned to put a switchboard inside the hull but this means that a superstructure would have to be removed.
Then I thought about adding 2 3-way switches to the instrument panel, 1 per ballast tank, giving either the command to increase the size of the tank or decreasing the size of the tank.
This means that I can have all the weight in place whilst filling the tanks so that I can stop sucking water into the tanks when the ship has reached the waterline, much more accurately from the very first time onwards then when I need to put the superstructure back in place after filling the tanks.

What do you guys think about this idea?

Greetings Josse
This makes things much easier and I think will leave much more room for electronics, batteries and wiring.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2014, 09:13:07 pm »

Update:

The bulbous bow is starting to get it's shape step by step now but it still needs quite a lot of work before it looks like real ship.

Trimmed the rear plate to place planks which can be shaped along the lines of the hull perfectly which the plate can't.
If the weather is good tomorrow I'll add polyester filler to this section of the hull, but as I'll be working under a "roof" there's a better chance of being able to add the filler.

Looks like the stern indeed is straight!!!!

Here I drew the lines for the final pieces of the bulbous bow which I can't saw now because people are sleeping here.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2014, 02:46:31 pm »

Update:

From hardly any bulb to rough bulb in 1 day.

Also shaped the front most part of the bulb, further back still needs lot of attention though.
I checked the shape by holding a photo of the real ship from the same angle next to my model and I'm proudly telling you now that the shape is very close to the original where I'm far enough with shaping.
The bulb here is much better then the previous which turned out to be much too narrow...

This shows that this certainly is quite a big boat...

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2014, 08:03:10 am »

Update:

Put the old hull next to the new hull for comparison.
There's still a lot to learn, also on the new hull but the shape is what it should be.
The old hull has now been stripped of the last useful things and will be moved to the demolition yard where 2 small children will take her apart.

In this photo the difference in width of the bulbous bow can be clearly seen.
I remember having doubts about the bulb on the old hull some 6 years ago, wandering if it shouldn't be wider, never checked but now it turns out that my feeling was correct.

Today the sanding and filling will continue.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2014, 09:23:19 pm »

Update:

Sanded outside with good result.
That can't be said about the new sanding paper I bought the day before, it was torn apart in 10 minutes of sanding...

The stern is also slowly taking shape though it's still far behind the bow.

The bow after half an hour of wet sanding the bow now really starts to look like it should be, but I'm not quite there yet.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2015, 01:50:01 pm »

Finally an update again, though not really a big one...

Tweety has been aboard again!!

Up close and personal.

Nothing much has changed other then ideas I had about how to proceed with this build.
The wooden hull will actually be the hull rather then just a plug, this is because the major reasons for making a GRP hull have fallen apart: I checked the weight calculation and found a few items that had weights estimated kilo's heavier then they'll ever be...
Beside that, as can be seen in this post, the wooden hull still offers plenty of space as it's designed now for all the functions and it saves me weight in ballast.
Then there is the ballast item: I had been thinking about using ballast tanks but recently I found out that there is no room for big enough ballast tanks in the stern due to the moonpool which has become more important then it ever was.
Therefore I decided that steel ballast isn't quite a bad thing to have so in this photo you can see almost 5 kilos of steel ballast packed together in 3 packs.
There will be a frame to keep it from moving about.
Then there are 3 pumps, 2 for cooling water and 1 to flush the anchors.
There are also 2 Speed 500-size engines to power the bowthrusters and there is an Arduino Mega without it's to be designed PCB.

This is midships with 2 batteries which will be turned around so the tops will end up in the middle with the batteries placed as far away from each other as possible and the batteries will also be placed in a frame to keep it from moving about.
The central computer (without it's still to be designed PCB) is placed on deck here because there is no room to put it in between the frames at the top.

Here is the stern with 2 Speed 500 E engines and 2 stepper motors and 1 cooling water pump, there is also an Arduino Mega for which I will also design a PCB.
There is also a little over 5kilos of ballast packed together like in the bow.

Greetings Josse

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2015, 02:22:49 pm »

Great progress Josse.

Look forward to seeing it progress. I'm putting some Arduino boards into my new Tug so will be watching this closely.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2015, 02:35:48 pm »

Thanks for the compliment!

Sounds good, Arduino is a great device with lots of possibilities.
How many functions are you thinking about?

Greetings Josse

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2015, 02:41:33 pm »

Looking good so far.  I liked the birds eye view  O0
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2015, 09:35:56 am »

Update:

The mold for the bow was too hard to get in shape (it already cost me 3 pieces of sanding paper) so I decided to make a new mold out of balsa which is being glued in the photo.

The molds have been cut off the hull as preparation for adding the epoxy, which will be due to happen one of these days if the weather is good enough.

Groetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2015, 11:59:55 am »

Update:

The boat is now almost ready to receive the first layer of epoxy and fibreglass, which will hopefully be tomorrow.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2015, 08:04:16 pm »

Update:

Prepared my desk for applying the epoxy.

Put the glass in place as much as possible but I've learned now that it is much easier to first apply a coat of epoxy and then put the glass in place and then apply a second layer of epoxy.

I used 2 of these cups to apply enough epoxy.

Applied the epoxy to the hull with a much better result then the last time but there's still enough room for improvement.
I used rovimat for the middle section of the hull which has fibres in all directions but I really don't like working with it so I'll use the woven fibreglass only next time.

Greetings Josse

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2015, 10:25:23 pm »

I am following this with interest as I am about to do some fibre glassing myself and would like to ask if you roll the glass down, or stipple it with a brush  ?
I am also curious to know if both side can be done in one application before the stuff starts to harden off and becomes unworkable.

regards

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2015, 10:45:25 pm »

Ken..... a colleague once told me that a few of his wife's credit cards make good applicators  :o

1. inexpensive and resistant to the exothermic reaction that is about to take place <*<
2. disposable
3. firm and good sized for the task at hand
4. in the long run....would probably be a lot cheaper than as used in the original form

O0.... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 23 queries.