Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75 - v2  (Read 73369 times)

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
Re: Diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75 - v2
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2015, 07:06:40 am »

I am following this with interest as I am about to do some fibre glassing myself and would like to ask if you roll the glass down, or stipple it with a brush  ?
I am also curious to know if both side can be done in one application before the stuff starts to harden off and becomes unworkable.

regards

ken

Hi Ken,

I applied the resin by using a brush, but I should have stippled, might have saved me a lot of trouble...
I managed to do both sides in one go but it tends to become a bit of a rush job so prepare it very good to make sure the quality is what you want it to be.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2015, 10:18:33 am »

Thank you for the advice Josse.  I had a feeling that on my 4 foot hull I might be racing the clock.  I will attempt one side at a time when the weather is warmer.  The credit card idea is rather good Derek. I'm closing down a bank card as I've run out of money, so there's a final use for their card.   %)

Will you be smoothing your hull afterwards as I wondered about sanding the cloth.  ?

Cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2015, 10:33:07 am »

Hi Ken,

On a hull that size and with proper praperation you should have plenty of time.
Make sure you make cuts in the glass passing the point where the hull reaches her fullest shape, I found myself making the cut deeper several times because I kept having air bubbles.
Even with the corrections and the struggle at first to get the glass on properly (I even had to cut off the big heavy glass in the middle otherwise it wouldn't stick to the hull) I managed to get the job done with a bit of time to spare.

Before starting to add the epoxy I made cut the 80gr glass in sheets of about 30cm long and about 7cm wide to fit most of the bow and cut shorter and narrower sheets to fit the more difficult shapes.

Good luck with the epoxy, if you prepare it properly it's actually fun to do but if you keep correcting things it can quickly become a pain in the but.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2015, 10:42:21 am »

Thanks Josse,

On my Severn lifeboat I had a yachtsman mate do it while I stood away from the fumes so he made it look easier than I suspect it really is.

I'm determined to have go myself so all advice is very welcome.   :}

cheers

ken

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2015, 10:57:06 am »

Hi Ken,

I just found some more advice as I released the boat from my desk.
First: make sure you have the boat well clear of the surface on which it rests, I did make 2 tower from batteries but had only a few centimeters clearance at best so I had to cut the boat loose from the paper that I used to protect my desk.
Next: don't use paper but rather some form of plastic, a trashbin bag will quite likely do the job perfectly as the epoxy probably won't stick to it.
Last one: if you think you've protected enough surfaces that shouldn't be coated with epoxy, add some more protective materials around it because I found epoxy and glass beyond the protected surfaces...

Greetings Josse

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2015, 11:02:57 am »

There speaks a man who's     'been there, done that'

All good advice. Thank you very much.  I shall have to be out in the garden anyway, as  'She who must be obeyed'  has decreed  'no smells in the house'      {-)   {-)

ken

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2015, 11:08:55 am »

Hi Ken,

Your welcome, that's why there are forums.
Epoxy hardly gives any smell, my mother has complained to me a lot when I was working with polyester outdoors but I applied the epoxy inside and haven't heard a word but I did open a window just to be sure.
But working with resins outside is always the safe way to go.

Greetings Josse

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2015, 06:18:20 pm »

Hi Ken
on your resin you will have a work time and a set time . different makes different times . Make a note of this because  once you work time runs out the resin will start to set quickly and become impossible to spread . Like Josse said planing is key .

john

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2015, 07:44:56 pm »

Thank you, will do.

ken

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2015, 10:30:08 am »

Update:

Be careful when working with epoxy to have enough height left between your subject and the workspace because you'll otherwise need to cut the boat loose...

I removed the molds which turned out to take quite a bit of force and discipline to not reshape the glass.

While sanding the first time I found that the molds on which the boat was laying whilst sanding where nicely dancing along making my decide to remove the waste material so I started measuring and drawing on the hull.
This photo is mostly about the blue and black lines at the end of the wood going up to the highest deck.
The wood should have stopped at the edge of the black line, opposite to the blue line but it is clearly visible it does not so.
Fortunately this can easily be overcome by removing the wood and the glass here but the glass was meand to be used for the plate which extends behind the transverse bulkhead which is the rear closing bulkhead of the superstructure here.
There's still plenty to learn for me clearly.

I just mentioned the solution to the poor measuring was easy but here one can see there is a bit more to it.
Fortunately there is still quite a bit of superstructure further inboard so I won't need to cut the wood to pieces all that much here.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2015, 04:16:09 pm »

Update:

Shaped the bulwarks on the bow.

Adjusted the bulwarks to the correct height.

Filled the hull with the equipment that will be put into the hull.
There's still plenty to be done on the hull.

The bulwark is clearly lower then on the previous hull but it was too high there anyway.

Had to cut the wood away here, as there was too much here but this way I was able to fix it anyway.

Greetings Josse

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2015, 05:18:13 pm »

Josse you will find it much easier to trip your grp if you do it at the 'green' stage.

This is when it has partially set up. It has gelled but still slightly pliable to touch, You trim along your mould line with a  Stanley type knife. It will leave you a lovely clean cut with no sanding required.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2015, 05:21:59 pm »

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the advice, I wish I would've known this earlier.
Does this work as well with epoxy, because it needs to harden before the next layer can be applied.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2015, 06:35:09 pm »

Hey guys,

Lately I haven't been doing much work on my boat, been away for quite some time and got myself a new job.
After thinking the sanding through a bit more (the rear bulwarks are bending way too much to my taste) I decided to add 2 9mm plywood plates as supports to the frames so that if the hull is turned upsite down for sanding the hull is resting on these added supports rather then on the rear bulwarks.
Today I found the time to sand the hull again, it appears to be a slow process but if you clean the sanding paper regularly it turns out to go quite well actually.
Today I reached the point where about 60% of the hull has a matt look indicating it is pretty much level but it still is higher then the gloss surfaces so I'll need to sand quite a bit more.
I'll try to keep sanding once every week but my schedule is changing all the time lately.

Greetings Josse

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2015, 07:32:04 pm »

sanding grp whether epoxy or polyester is a royal pain in the backside. Something I am about to start this weekend. I have made up the plug for my fast rescue boat, only 90mm long but as I was unable to source any similar from model shops I am having to make my own. So this weekend I will make the shell of it.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2015, 07:45:11 pm »

Hi Brian,

That sure is very true indeed.
It has to be done though but there is so much much nicer work to be done which can only be done when the hull is really smooth that I can keep myself motivated to keep going.
I might well start trying wet P400 or so and sand by hand, see what that does.

Greetings Josse

Stavros

« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2015, 09:09:12 pm »

80 grit to start with to give you the shape,180 then to get rid of the 80 grit marks...Primer....400grit ...more primer...400 then topcoat...OH and KEEP SMILING

Dave

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2015, 04:16:48 pm »

Thanks for the advice, I'll try the 80 grit first, see what that does.
And I'll sure keep up a smile O0

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2015, 08:32:01 pm »

That was quite some good advice, I couldn't imagine I would be able to do the job better by hand using 60grit then the sanding machine with 180grit but the 60 grit by hand actually works waayy faster then the sanding machines 180 grit!
The bottom at the bow now needs just a little bit of filler and then it's done there.
The side of the bow are also starting to get there but not yet fully there.
I try to spread this kind of work out over a longer period to keep the smile on my face.

Greetings Josse

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2015, 09:33:29 pm »

Hey Josse, I have been reading your V2 blog and am impressed with the work you are doing. How did you come by the workshop? Did you evict a family member!

I have yet to dabble with GRP properly and so I am learning from you and Brian as you go through your trials and tribulations.

Keep up the good work and bathe in the glory that you are nearing the sanding saga.

TTFN Ian:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2015, 10:01:14 pm »

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the compliment!
It's nice to hear that, though I'm still learning quite a lot in the process, other people are already learning from me.
That is also why I try to share as much of the process as I can.

Last year my brother got himself a house and left the building so I got myself an extra room, with balcony no less, ideal for sanding, painting and working with resins.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2015, 04:18:09 pm »

Update:

After having sanded the hull with 60grit sanding paper (which sands real fast!!) the bow is now almost smooth, still enough filling and sanding to do but I'm starting to get there.
Today I've decided to do something else on my boat for once, being the anchor pockets.
Here I have drawn the lines for the inside of the pockets.

Making the sides all precisely the same size and shape.

Made the closing parts a bit oversized to have room for errors and used a line to indicate where the parts need to be placed.

Make sure that the parts are glued together straight.

Drilled the 2 topplates in 1 go so the holes are in the exact same place.
Here the first pocket is already finished and the parts for the second pocket are ready for assembly.

Checked the dimensions and they turned out to be a perfect match with what was drawn on the hull, the lines on the hull represent the inside of the pockets.

Greetings Josse

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2015, 07:12:37 pm »

That is good Josse. They look much better than the old ones.
Pond weed is your enemy

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2015, 08:34:40 pm »

Thanks for the kind words, I keep learning and improving my work.

Update:

Last monday I ordered all the needed propellers for this model and they arrived today.
Here I have the main propellers held about where they'll hang under the ship when the thrusters (for which I will order the parts including 2 very nice nozzles) are finished.
These propellers look much better and are a much closer match to the propellers on the real ship then what Graupner supplied with the thrusters which I used on the previous attempt.

These are the bowthruster propellers which fit very nicely in the tube I had prepared for the tunnels.
One of the stern thrusters is placed in the shot for reference.

Greetings Josse

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2015, 09:32:38 pm »

Ooh, shiney! I like that people go to the legnths they do to get the right shape and size of propellor. Given that they usually spend most of their time under water ( the propellors, not model boaters) it is especially thourough.
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 23 queries.