Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75 - v2  (Read 73371 times)

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
Re: Diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75 - v2
« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2016, 08:26:55 pm »

Hi Stewart,

I do need to mess with gears because of the only gears I could find to attach to the rudder post of the thruster and there is not enough room for a second gear the same size on the stepper motor.
Therefore I reckon I'll have about 1:2 reduction.

Rotation will be unlimited, the real ship doesn't even have reverse on the main engines because the thrusters can rotate unlimited.
Controlling the steering will be by setting the speed by the angle of the joystick, zero the joystick and the thruster will stop turning but not returning to the zero position.
The 8 seconds for 180 degrees to indicate the speed a bit, 3 seconds on the model sounds about nice but need to figure out more.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: October 10, 2016, 03:32:42 pm »

Update:

Bit of trial and error engineering but works quite well actually.
I wanted to check for room for possible faster stepper motors but those I found are far less accurate so I need to think it through.

Put the different options alongside each other for reference.

Today I hooked both teh 2 ESC's and the stepper motors up to the rear Arduino and to there own power supply running 2 sets of wire to the central computer to be hooked up there.
I connected the battery to the system to see if the lights would go on, indicating proper power connections.
Turned out to be working fine, now I need a program so I can control things.

In the bottom of this photo one can see the temporary connection of the power to the rear and the UBEC (the universal version of the BEC on ESC's).

I also started working on the cover for the central computer housing a LCD screen with 2 rows of 16 characters (screen will show messages like "computer powered up" or malfunctions of any kind), a hole to put the main antenna through and I started working on a fuse design.
The Pi and Arduino's will have a 7,5A group which is more then enough for this application.
The main engines will share 1 10A group which is enough for 1 blocking engine.
The bowthrusters will share 1 10A group.
There will be 2 more 7,5A groups for all other equipment, including the 2 steering stepper motors.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: October 11, 2016, 02:17:48 pm »

Update:

The top plate has now got the main switch and the LED's to indicate power has applied mounted.
The LED's will be connected with a resistor to the fuse and then to the - fuse so I can be absolutely sure whether a fuse is burned or not.
I dropped the - fuses for the groups, leaving the main fuse as only - fuse with it's Amps being lowered from 30A down to 7,5A since there shouldn't be any current at this fuse.
All fuses will be attached to the 12V supply, the lower voltages will be created a bit further down the line by voltage regulators which will be placed in the central computer.

This is the bottom of the plate as of now.
I had to cut a bit out of the plate so I could fix the main switch but now it's properly attached.
I also had to drill a larger hole from the under side of the plate for the LED's so they would have an edge near the top which they stick behind whilst they do raise above the top of the plate.
Tomorrow I will start wiring things up, after that the LED's will be properly attached as well so I can remove the tape afterwards.

Greetings Josse

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #128 on: October 11, 2016, 03:03:14 pm »

Looking good Josse!

.... where's the budgie?!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: October 11, 2016, 03:16:30 pm »

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the compliment!!

The bird died last summer unfortunately...

Greetings Josse

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2016, 03:36:22 pm »

AH!  sorry to remind you of that...

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2016, 04:02:16 pm »

Hi Martin,

No problem, I have many good memories off Tweety.

Greetings Josse

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2016, 08:09:08 pm »

I am sorry to hear of your loss Josse. I shall be impressed by the way you have arranged and installed yor electrics, the planning will be quite extensive given the different ampages and the computer systems.

Excellent progress.
Pond weed is your enemy

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: October 11, 2016, 09:00:24 pm »

Hi Ballast,

Thanks for the kind words!
I am planning ahead a lot lately, everything gets thought through for some time before I start building it, saving myself from the trouble I had on the first attempt.

Now that I read my post back about my bird I realise I made it sound like Tweety died a few months ago, it actually was over a year ago, during my summer holiday, I had to drive home some 2 hours on a Sunday morning to bury Tweety...

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: October 12, 2016, 07:34:18 pm »

Update:

I managed to get the fuses in place with indicating LED lights up and running.
Still need to add the power for the bowthrusters and for the 2 remaining groups though, at some point I short circuited the main fuses, after which I didn't seem to get power back online but after quite some thought I realised that in case of short circuit not the + fuse (30A) would be blown but the - fuse at 7,5A so replacing the + fuse won't do the trick...
After that I turned out to also have blown a LED up which I've now replaced.
All attached systems are up and running here, the red light under the fuses is the power LED on the Arduino Mega in the central computer.

A closer look at the top plate, 3 more fuses are to be added.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2017, 07:51:13 pm »

Hey guys,

Got quite some busy months behind me, first I got news I had a new job in another region of the country, then suddenly I got myself a house in that region which required quite some work...
By the time the work on the house was done my fiancé and I decided to start planning our wedding, which is planned for this summer!!!

Managed to use Kings day to pick up the work for a bit again, see the result below:

Started work on the foc'sle deck which I will keep removable for the time being so I can continue the work inside the hull without trouble whilst I also can start detailing the deck and building the superstructure.
When I want to work inside the hull I can simple put the deck aside and continue the work in the hull.

Put the deck in its place, it fits nicely.

I got myself a new battery, a 12V 12Ah battery which I will place a bit lower then it is now which will also ensure that it is placed firmly.

I received the gearwheels which will be used to turn the thrusters.
Since these gearwheels don't really match with those on the stepper motors I will get myself some other ones for the stepper motors.

Using the powerbank which will be used to power the transmitter (the UBEC doesn't provide enough power for the Pi) I picked up fiddling with the Pi again, starting with finding it in the network again.

That's it for now.

Greetings Josse

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: May 01, 2017, 09:49:48 pm »

It is great to see you back and building Josse! I wondered where you had got to but kept getting you and another member's name mixed up so sorry both!

Congratulations on your trinity of good news and hope your wedding is a success  :-))

Do you now have your own ship yard in the house?
Pond weed is your enemy

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: May 01, 2017, 09:56:15 pm »

Hi Josse
congratulations to you on all your good news . Nice to see you keeping on at Well Enhancer

John

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: May 02, 2017, 03:52:29 pm »

Thanks guys!!!

Hi Ballast,

I made myself a 2,5m wide cabinet underneath a window in the computer room on which I place my ship models and there is a hobby desk some 1,5m wide right next to it with my tools above it behind a nice curtain.

Greetings Josse

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #139 on: May 02, 2017, 05:01:28 pm »

Congratulations on the coming wedding Josse. But don't leave it too long before your next update, we need to know how W.E is progressing.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: September 02, 2017, 11:54:47 am »

Hey guys,

2 months ago I got married!!!!! After that I went on my honeymoon to the Italian Lakes.
After that it was back to work.

Last week I picked up modelbuilding again, here is the result:

Drilled holes of 1,6mm for making M2 thread in the gearwheels of both the thrusters and the bowthrusters.

Made M2 thread in the gearwheels, now I only need to shorten these 5mm long screws, otherwise they don't fit inside the Tees.

This is the line-up of how they'll be.
I decided the brass endplates are too weak, instead I'll make molds en cast the endpieces out of epoxy, using a brass rod inside to keep the gearwheels with the shafts in place.

I placed 3 walls on the deck, 2 of which have holes to have light shine trough to the doors which will be made out of clear epoxy to represent the windows.

That's it for now.

Greetings Josse

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #141 on: September 02, 2017, 01:25:23 pm »

Good to have you back tweety and congratulations! :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: September 02, 2017, 02:48:27 pm »

Hey guys,

2 months ago I got married!!!!! After that I went on my honeymoon to the Italian Lakes.
After that it was back to work.

Hi Josse, Congratulations on your wedding! I hope your honeymoon was also a success.

I salute you now having a supportive wife, or one that is pleased your hobby doesn't encroach on the rest of the house!

I notice on my reply that there are lots of image boxes without any images, and on the post there is nothing at all. Is there a problem with your hosting site, or has my computer got huffy on me again?
Pond weed is your enemy

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: September 02, 2017, 03:18:13 pm »

Hi Ballast,

Thanks for the kind words!

Photobucket has decided that they need you to pay or otherwise you can't show photo's on other sites, therefore my photo's aren't visible.
I started using Google now but I don't have time to reset the previous photo's.

Greetings Josse

Stavros

« Reply #144 on: September 02, 2017, 10:50:21 pm »

Congratulations on your marrage

Dave

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: September 03, 2017, 08:48:37 am »

New attempt, unfortunately I can't edit the original post anymore...

( Added photos into first post - Admin )   :-)

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #146 on: September 03, 2017, 09:20:14 am »

It might be easier to replace the too long screws with grubscrews. These are normally shorter and don't have the big screw head just a hex socket. Grub screws also tend to be harder and will bite onto the shaft better giving a more secure fit.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: September 03, 2017, 11:31:22 am »

Hi Martin,

Thanks a lot, and thanks for editting my reply!

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the advice, I tried to look for screws like that but hadn't yet been able to find them.
I'll search some more, the current screws can still be used elsewhere.

Greetings Josse

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: September 03, 2017, 02:09:01 pm »

They are quite easy to find on Google once you have tried a few times. I bought ten for a couple of pounds in 2015.

warn you though that M2 grub screws with hex will be difficult to screw in and out. .9mm is the size of hex spanner you need but I am blowed if I can make it fit in the hole reliably. I would try for a slot style head for a flat head screwdriver.

Pond weed is your enemy

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: September 03, 2017, 02:25:39 pm »

Sounds like I need to think it through, shortened these screws have proven to work good, they're easy to put into the holes and screw tight but need to be shortened, I'll see if I can find an alternative but I'm not going to search abroad since that will bring high delivery costs for such small parts.

Greetings Josse
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 22 queries.