Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75 - v2  (Read 73342 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75 - v2
« Reply #150 on: September 03, 2017, 03:17:53 pm »

Congratulations Josse - now on to important things :} :}

You are in Holland (Netherlands)? Surely you have outlets of the French Leroy Merlin chain there? We have them in Spain. Anyway on their section that has screws and nails (hardware) there is (at ours at least) a small section of plastic drawers that contain various size grubscrews. I bought a packet last week of 3mm and ten in a pack. It cost me 2€ 10c

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
« Reply #151 on: September 03, 2017, 04:37:16 pm »

Thanks Brian!

That sounds like a useful start for my search, thanks a lot.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: October 21, 2017, 11:52:24 am »

Hey guys,

I took a holiday this week, partly to pick up building again.
I didn't manage to build as much as I'd hoped to but I did make an important step towards finishing the hull:

This is the newly made engine room layout. When I finished the clear plate seen in this photo and put the gearwheel on it I quickly started to realise that there might not be enough room underneath the deck to fit the propulsion the way I wanted it to be.
I therefore ordered the parts needed and watched how it would turn out, and indeed, it wouldn't fit under the deck.
Therefore I have decided to put the gears for the steering underneath the plate and place the propulsion V-belt directly above it.
The long brass shaft is a 10mm diameter hollow shaft which will be used to make the outer shaft of the thrusters and it will hold the drive shaft.
The shaft is a full 1mm thick, so I have no doubt it will be up to the job.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: December 17, 2017, 04:13:50 pm »

Hey guys,

Lately I've been thinking thinks over a bit, mostly concerning the bowthrusters and the rear azimuths.
I started thinking about 3D printing the needed parts, but this thought started an avalanche of thoughts, actually, an entirely new way of looking at the construction of the thrusters.
I have reached the point where I've decided I'd best put the thrusters back to the drawing board and design parts myself that are to be 3D printed.
As of yet I haven't found any time to make the design though I do have a new set-up in mind: a closed gearhouse with 1 removable end to which the propeller and needed gear are mounted. The biggest part will most likely (the design will need to make clear if this really is the best way to go) be made such that it enters the waterfree areas of the hull and be fitted there, thus I'll have much less parts whilst I keep the ability to maintain the parts.
Biggest challenge is to find some place where I can 3D print the parts for a reasonable price...

In the meantime I've made an Excel sheet in which I've appointed all the needed pins on the Arduino's to a certain function and a command so that I can use this to start programming the Raspberry Pi in the hull when I feel up to it.

Greetings Josse

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #154 on: December 17, 2017, 04:22:01 pm »

Looking good Josse.  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: December 19, 2017, 05:26:30 pm »

Thanks Martin,

Hopefully I can find time and courage to continu working on Well Enhancer in the upcoming christmas holiday.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: December 19, 2017, 09:23:45 pm »

Hi John,

Thanks for the help!

Graupner schottels are in my drawer here, I found them to be too noisy, therefore I decided to make my own.
The bowthrusters shown are about a quarter the size of the units which I'm building here.
Besides, the tunnels are already in place.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: April 10, 2019, 03:15:27 pm »

Hi everyone,

Lately I've been too busy with the house and my pregnant wife to get to modelbuilding but now I've found some time to get at least something done.
Recently I finally got my head around a proper set-up for the touchscreen in the transmitter.
In this thought, which has now been translated into a visual design to which I only need to add the controls towards the boat itself, I made a fundamental design change regarding the use of the joysticks.
At first I planned on giving every joystick it's own function, I changed this to having 4 rows of 3 joysticks which will have software controlled functions.
For Well Enhancer this means that all these 12 joysticks will have 3 functions for each direction.
This saves a hole lot of on/off engine controls and saves at least 4 wires for each ROV which will result in a thinner wire attached to it.
Anyways, below some pictures of the software, please keep in mind that this currently is only visual, the text of the on/off functions changes but that is all at the moment.
Making this function is the next step.

The 2 sliders will be the only PWM functions that will not be controlled by a joystick.

All engine and rudder statuses have been set to 0, currently this is just plain text, it will be controlled by the joysticks at some point.

Greetings Josse

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #159 on: April 10, 2019, 05:17:31 pm »

Sorry, I cannot read the Yellow writing.

Len.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #160 on: April 10, 2019, 05:38:19 pm »

Sorry, I cannot read the Yellow writing.

Len.

Its in Dutch I think
john

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: April 10, 2019, 06:13:03 pm »

Its in Dutch I think
john
Hi John,
That is correct.
The background colour will be grey all over but for some reason that is more difficult to do in the tabs then in the main page, I haven't found a way to do that yet.
Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #162 on: September 26, 2020, 09:34:26 am »

Hello guys,

It's been a while, been mostly busy with the little one in past months. I have been filling and sanding every now and then though. But this week I felt it was time for something bigger, something with the propulsion. See the result below.
I've drilled the holes for the schottels after having decided to use the old schottels from the first attempt after all. I also modified the gearwheels to fit the schottels. The gearwheels and all components fit quite well though a few minor modifications will make things better still.
[/size]I also started adjusting the keel and frames so the battery will fit a bit lower in the hull. I will make a nice box to fit the battery so it can't move about and also to reinforce the hull since cutting in the keel and frames will somewhat weaken the hull.[/color]I also received the new Raboesch Bowthrusters which I will fit inside the existing tubes in the near future, if weather permits it.[/size][/color] [/size][/color]Greetings Josse[/size]

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: April 10, 2021, 04:36:12 pm »

Hey guys,

I got some work done in the engine room now that my new hobbyroom is finished.
Photo DSC_1130_B:
I put the engines in the right position to have the V-belts under proper tightness, I only need to properly attach the gearwheels on the engine shafts. I also attached the gearwheels to the stepper motors and placed the stepper motors. The holes for the gearwheels are large enough to fit the gearwheel through so I don't need to remove the entire plate. Fitting the gears proved a little difficult since the plastic gearwheel is too weak for M2 threading so I had to make a hole in the stepper motor shaft. I only need to make a proper place for the stepper motor controller.

Photo DSC_1132_B:
This is where the boat is placed now, a much better place then the shed where she was before.
Photo DSC_1133_B:
This is the working room, though I will still be adding more Hobbyzone stuff for storage and for my tools.

Greetings Josse

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #164 on: April 10, 2021, 06:05:21 pm »

Looking good!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: November 29, 2021, 07:14:01 pm »

Hey guys,

It's been a while, been very busy, partly in and around the house. I've added a 3D printer to my list of tools now so I can make some more difficult shaped parts more accurately. It's been used quite a bit now and it works very nicely. It's a great addition to my toolbox!

First of all I continued to upgrade my hobby space, though there is more to come in the future.
I made the plates for the new transmitter, so it was time to see how the 12 joysticks will look, though 2 are missing here being used in a test set-up.
There will be at least 4 of these 3D printed sticks on the transmitter, 2 solely throttle sticks, the other 2 mounted atop the disks for combined throttle and steering control. I might add a 3rd of these for future projects. The transmitter will be dominated by the newly arrived 10,1" touchscreen for which the new transmitter had to be widened by 10cm so the wiring has the room it needs.
Electronics in the bow are starting to be arranged bit by bit. The small boards house 1 port expander (16 I/O functions) and the others a total of 5 relais needed for the somewhat (above say 10mA) more powerful functions here.
Quite chaotic wiring and hosing right now, once all the parts are in I will clean this mess up to make things recognisable.
I've been modifying the gears for steering the azimuths a lot due to my 3D printer printing a little bit smaller than the actual model is. This is somewhat frustrating when all the measurements were taken with a digital calliper.
Lots of electronics, there's no other way to achieve my goal. The small blue PCB will control 16 servos and motors, the larger 1 will control the rotation of the main crane and the small crane on the rear deck by means of stepper motor.

Greetings Josse

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: November 29, 2021, 08:23:52 pm »

Incredible, no idea about all the electronics, but brilliant and congratulations for solving the problems.
I think I will stay with steam, that way you only get burnt  {-) {-) {-) {-)
Steamed up all the time

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: November 30, 2021, 07:26:07 pm »

Hello Phil,

Thanks for the kind words! To me steam engines are to big a challenge, I don't like the pressures involved with steam power, so I admire your work on that.

Greetings Josse

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #168 on: November 30, 2021, 08:13:29 pm »

You know what they say....

"A tidy bench is the sign of " ..... what do they say?!    ok2

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #169 on: November 30, 2021, 09:41:26 pm »

Hello Martin,

I do like planning indeed (to be honest I didn't know what they say about a tidy desk so I googled it). Though one might argue that it takes a certain degree of brilliance or genius to rethink a concept and take it to a whole new level O0
Which is which I will leave in your hands while I continue slowly towards my goal. Though I can say that I've crossed quite a lot of barriers this year on my way to achieving my goal. Sailing this boat has not been such close for way to many years now.

Greetings Josse

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #170 on: December 01, 2021, 07:23:19 pm »

Tidy desk...tidy mind

It sort of explains my head  :embarrassed:
Steamed up all the time

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #171 on: December 30, 2021, 02:08:52 pm »

Hello guys,

The new transmitter right next to the prototype, quite a difference in size though I'm quite happy about that.

The new transmitter is really starting to take shape now, I only need to increase the holes for the joysticks. These will be covered by 3D printed plates which will also make the holes watertight.

While I'm working on figuring out all the details of the transmitter it came to mind that I had a universal transmitter, which is quite difficult with the propulsion controls dedicated for Well Enhancer whilst I have a Smit Rotterdam moored alongside in drydock. So I decided I could best solve this by not putting the main propulsion controls on the transmitter itself but rather on a new build add-on which I will 3D print, though it will be in 2 pieces because of the size.

This is the first part of the design for the add-on of the transmitter, the second half will be the mirror image, including the insert which will house the electrical connections. In each add-on I will place 1 port expander (this makes it possible to keep using the same program) and 2 analogue-digital converters. This also gives me room for plenty of extra's if I ever need to go even more extreme then Well Enhancer, if that is even possible.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #172 on: January 23, 2022, 08:56:46 pm »

Hey guys,

I've been spending quite some time on further developing different areas and building mainly the transmitter.

I'm busy trying to find a good lay-out for the electronics in the bow where I also keep forgetting that part of this plate is not quite reachable anymore when the deck is finally in place, and there also needs to be room for the winches for the lifeboats above.

I'm still working on further developing the power distribution part. I'm trying to find a way to put the Pi and other electronics below the power distribution, though I need to reserve some space in the portside corner for the crane on top.

Transmitter is getting ever closer to finishing. Below the transmitter are a multimeter (the blue PCB) and a timing relais. The multimeter will be used to estimate the battery capacity by keeping track of the amount of Amps consumed, so it's some kind of educated guess since powerbanks unfortunately do not transmit this kind of information. The timing relais will be placed between the Pi's pin that I'll use in the shut-down script and the Unset pin on the latching relais so the power goes down after the Pi has been properly shut down There will also be a red push button directly attached to the Unset pin on the latching relais to directly power everything down in case of emergency or frozen Pi or screen.

I Started filling the gaps in the transmitter.

This main part now looks quite empty for the powerhouse it actually is since the main propulsion controls are moved to the add-on. Unfortunately even 3 attempts at on printing the first half of the add-on have not delivered result due to some strange problems with the black material. First the layers where more like a string of wires rather then a closed plate it was supposed to be. 20% more material solved that problem. The second attempt therefore started better until the bed got launched off of the printer. The third attempt I watched more closely and probably went about the same way. After the first 2-3 layers in some places the material started to come loose from the bed (as in clearly up from the bed, wrapped and all), and at some point the printhead got stuck behind such a piece and eventually pulled the entire plate in a Z-shape forcing me to power down the printer in order to stop making things even worse.

For connecting the 2 elements I will use VGA connectors, nicely simple to use since I only need to solder the wires to the connectors.

Greetings Josse

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #173 on: January 24, 2022, 10:13:05 am »

That's quite some electronic and transmitter Josse   :o

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #174 on: January 24, 2022, 01:29:05 pm »

Hi Josse,

Looks a great project.

I wonder if you have considered adding a chip (somethig like ATTINY 85) to each joystick to facilitate i2c connectivity.

Each chip (joystick board) would have it's own address and could process the analog read of the 2 pots and convert them to a position which is than made available over i2c.

You would end up with a dasiy chain of just 4 wires between each pot board (+vcc | gnd | sda | scl) and 4 wires back to you main processing board.

Regards
C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.