Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Armed TID Tug  (Read 2473 times)

Propslip

• Full Mayhemer
Armed TID Tug
« on: January 14, 2014, 10:53:40 am »

I recently bought a set of old Blueprint type plans for a TID tug. Interestingly it is armed with 2 five barred Pom-Poms, one foreside of the bridge, the other at the aft end of the accommodation. I think is may have been for US service. Certainly the US army used some TIDs in WWII at D Day etc. The plans are stamped Humber Ship Plans. Interestingly the drawer is John E Skin... (rest obliterated, maybe Skinner), 132 High Street, Southend, less than a mile from were I am sitting. Anyone have any information?
                                              Propslip

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Armed TID Tug
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 11:28:42 am »

Propslip,
an interesting model by the description, but are you correct in the armament???
the quad pompom were pretty big on destroyers and cruisers never mind mounting on a tug....
could it of been the old .5" Vickers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_.50_machine_gun
they were removed from service aboard destroyers by 1943/44  having been replaced with 20mm Oerlikens
so would of been lying about and a good bit smaller than a pompom http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QF_2_pounder_naval_gun

the barrels look similar in design but not size
will be watching the build with interest   :-))

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 11:58:52 am »

This may an important find, historically, as I've never heard of an armed TID before.
Could you post a pic? I'd agree with gingyer that it more likely to be a quad mount vickers than a pom-pom (to be honest I've never heard of a five barrel pom-pom either. They were usually 4 or 8, the infamous " Chicago piano")  Quad vickers were mounted in vertical line with ammo drums mounted on the outside of the mount. 
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Propslip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 12:08:08 pm »

I have now studied these plans more carefully. The lines & general layout are classic TID, just somewhat larger. I guess a variant of a TID, that may not have even got built. On the plan it says :
PREFABRICATED TID CLASS STEAM TUG LINES PLAN
US DESIGN 1000HP OCEAN GOING
(TID SHORT FOR TIDDLER)
Other details are Length 100 Feet
                         Beam 24.5 Feet
                          1000HP
   3/8 Inch to 1 Foot. (1/32 I guess)

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 12:16:07 pm »

TIDs were 65ft by 17ft so it would be considerably bigger than a box standard TID.  This may be a an American attempt at a "Super TID!"  The TID design was ingenious and the American are never ones to let a clever idea go to waste.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.