Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: blackjack 55 pro boat/ segad1.400 /challenger 1.345 all petrol  (Read 2966 times)

midships

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
blackjack 55 pro boat/ segad1.400 /challenger 1.345 all petrol
« on: January 30, 2014, 09:36:14 pm »

thanks to craig for his input
this will be my first venture into petrol boats all advice would be appeciated
has any one run one of the above boats
as i am new to this the pro black jack 55 looked good as it has a clutch and is water cooled ,it also has a water pump so that the boat can idle while i am having a cup tea or something stronger
it is expensive i know but once i have learnt the in and outs of petrol boats i can build one from scratch
regards midships

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: blackjack 55 pro boat/ segad1.400 /challenger 1.345 all petrol
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 06:55:21 am »

Honestly save your money and go buy a bare hull and a propper marine motor and good quality hardware and build your own or check the for sale section on BMPRS and look for a good used hull.You will save money in the end and have something capable of been a competetive race boat.
Mart

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 07:56:23 am »

the blackjack 55 is a big hull  they go ok ! but like mart said if you want something raceable or that has the ability to be raced then look around ! yep you may have to build it but thats even better because then you know how its goes together and should anything go wrong you know what you need to do !

mart makes a nice thunderbolt excellent hull ! there's also the avenger or conquest from jotika or the mercury cat from prestwich 

one other point is if your buying a blackjack new then you may save a few quid buying one of the others as the blackjack is over priced at a rrp of over 900 !

engine wise at the moment value for money is the tiger king ! ;0)
BMPRS  Health and Safety Co-Ordinator

midships

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 01:24:14 pm »

hi all
thanks for your input regarding above boats
whilst i understand cost could be lower if i built from scratch this would be a new field for me
i contacted hurricane models who still have some stock of discontinued   pro boat blackjack 55 in stock the price from them is £736 inc vat free delivery ,having seen other prices some far above this i would value members thoughts (may have to talk to the wife nicely or take her out ) they have also said that pro boat are to show at the model trade fair in germany a new boat rockstar 48 gas no details yet but not expected on the shelf until may
the boat i get will only be run for my pleasure on my local river and there are no problems with this i do not belong to a club and my nearest club would be norwich or gipping valley both difficult as i do not drive both about 35 miles away and no members near me
thanks to all for your help ,would value your thoughts particuly regarding price on blackjack 55
better go and get on with my tamar life boat
regards
h spary midships

midships

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 01:57:29 pm »

hi all update on last e mail
just looked at spec for pro boat rockstar 48 gas converted price from dollers to sterling comes out at about £750 not much more than the proboat black jack 55
rock star not avialible until may / june  , gives me time to save up
would value members thoughts on the spec for this boat
regards midships

Brigadair

• Full Mayhemer
  • Race to enjoy; winning is a bonus!
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 08:12:39 pm »

Hi mid ships!

I bought a rtr Navicraft unlimited hull for fun, as my first gas boat some 4 years ago.

Like Craig, it got me into gas boats and was great fun and cheap to buy.

I had to get more speed out of it, the engine had a clutch, and was fantastic for poncing about on the pond, but would have better suited a law mower! It sounded fantastic with a great muffler which the supplier badged as a pukka tuned pipe. It was polished stainless steel and like a clink of armour on some beast from the deep!

If you are new to gas engine powered boats, they make a good starting point. But if you want to race save some money by buying a used race pedigree boat (-as someone else advised) , or build from scratch. I spent more time and money upgrading my cat, to race than it has cost me to build my new Mercury Cat, with race parts.

The radio boxes I have found on rtr boats are substandard ,as are the parts, servos etc, often far eastern and poor quality. (That's why these boats seem so cheap as to be too good to be true!)

Again can't speak for the one you are thinking of buying, it may be the bargain it seems!
But my advice is build your own and seek advice from bmprs members or others in the sport  if needed on the build. It will pay off in the longer term interms of a quality boat and be more cost effective.

Best regards

Garry

Best regards
Garry Dickson (BMPRS Committee member and Webmaster)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.