Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sail cloth  (Read 1718 times)

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
Sail cloth
« on: January 23, 2014, 01:48:14 pm »

I have recently purchased a second hand 6 meter yacht and I am refurbishing her but because she is a registered boat there aren't many changes I can or want make.

However I have decided to re-paint the hull and deck and install traditional wood hatches and deck houses etc.

It's my intent to build her to look like a "J" class but with the ability to simply substitute masts for different rigs. The standard registered rig for more serious racing but to create a "J" class style rig for leisure.

My question is what material to use for the sails. The current sails are kind of plastic, which is fine, and I assume are made of Dacron.

Where can I get similar material to make up my own sails?

I did some research and found that Dacron appears to be a trade name for polyester fabric, so again where can I get this of the correct grade, and what is the correct grade? The hull length is 62 inches so the deck to masthead should be in the region of 75 inches. I kbnow it will be over canvassed but that is part of the fun and should be fine in light winds.

John Lewis sell a polyester shower curtain in white for £10 but that seems too simple and too cheap a solution?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Geoff

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Sail cloth
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 04:01:15 pm »

Dacron sailcloth is available from Sailsetc.com and most model sailboat suppliers. Grade, around 150g/msq should be about right.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sail cloth
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 01:07:47 pm »

I have made sails from ripstop that came out Ok. You need to cut it with a hot iron to avoid fraying.

I have also made them from Mylar - makes great looking sails that take a nice shape, but the Mylar will crease easily.
Amateur at work...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 22 queries.